Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

General Discussion
Prev 1 26 27 28 32 Next

I have a hunch, that we will see a return of a necromancer (character skin is already there, and a summon and some other spells and curses - looking at you Jondar and the necro in the desert) and a paladin in the expansion, as well as we will see jungle regions which would be like a home to WD.

I think the Necro we meet in act 2 is either the same Necro from D2 or his apprentice since he did mention a Master. I think Lore wise, roughly 10-20 years have pass since the defeat of Baal and the destruction of the World Stone, it actually could be 30 years since. It is mentioned by one of the NPC in a speech about how long it has been.
WD is a poormans Necromancer
Wizard is a poormans Sorceress
Demon Hunter is a poormans Amazon
Monk is a poormans Paladin

And last but not least, Barbarian is not even a poormans Barbarian. It's a poormans effin Warrior from WoW

are you nuts? the classes in D3 are wayyyyyy cooler then most in D2 :/

for example and sake of the thread how are the WD and Necromancer alike? summoning the confusion spell......and thats it hes a completely new class. yeah they are going to put in some skills from D2 for the new characters but they are not copy and paste skills. personally i find them better then the D2 ones, soooooo many skills were either useless or visually dull in that game (especially the Barbarian) looking back at it.
06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Lylirra
One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Wow...I haven't leveled my WD much yet, and this is a surprise. I just assume it would have scaled. Well that's good to know! Now I'm definitely not gonna start with a pet based build ;D
Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

I have yet to get to Inferno, so I'm not sure to say how valid the WDs skills are, though I do feel some in general seem pointless or difficult to use effectively and could use some tweaking, but I have a theory for why he might "feel" out of place in comparison from the rest.
From what I gather, the WD is from some distant land and has been banished, finding his/her new home here. Perhaps it is appropriate that the WD feels out of place as far as "flavor" goes being as they are literally a foreign entity.
Just my theory.
06/02/2012 05:28 AMPosted by Connatic
One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Also, having just read this...this should happen.
i love the WD but it seems like all his spells and runes are the same or do the same thing....the sprite barrage spell would be cool if there was more ghosts that did alot more dam. not just what looks like wind blowing around in a circle. and when i think of locust swarms its not some lil cloud a locust it should be a tornado of damn locust...
05/30/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Klaus
Make pets useful please in inferno please. It is kind of annoying when i pick the pet class and can't use pets because they get one shot by everything.

Everything gets oneshot in Inferno...
We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

To be honest, scaling pets with HP would be my least preferred option. If you're a WD who has understood the end game, you want to kill things as quick as possible.

I'd rather scale pet's survivabilty and damage output with intellect, so that WD's actually make intense use of such fine spells like Soul Harvest and don't hide like a wimp behind an army of minions with huge HP which they occasionally blow up with Sacrifice. That would be just boring.

All the spirit stuff is way more than just defense or terror, it's nice offense also. WD's should get used to the fact that they are no pure necromancers - thanks god, I must say. ^^
I for one love the Witch Doctor.

I have been playing RPGs for about 25 years. And although Warriors and wizards and rogues etc etc are a huge part of most RPGs, and I love the whole dynamic of those elements as well as all the "old-school" elements which have made RPGs fun for me.....it's nice to see something new!!

Let's face it, RPGs all basically modeled after the same main archtypes. We can show some examples here and there where things differ, but most of those differences can be easily traced along a progression from some sort of archtype from the old books or original D&D.

There are definate examples of games trying new things, but most are either cleverly named versions of a classic archtype, or just a poorly designed bad idea.

The witch doctor is unlike anything Ive ever played in an RPG. They do have some elements of classic archtypes (necro, pet-classes, drain spells, curses) But they do it in a unique and original way.

I do agree, the number of "melee ranged" abilities and the lack of tanking prowess does bug me. You'd think there would be more than just spirit walk (your best defensive button) as a means of getting in close at higher levels. And a lot of spells seem to work against each other (fear away, but you want to get close; 80% slow but you have to run into the middle of it for a lot of spells; when your in trouble, you can gain Heals from melee-range spells...requiring you to run INTO the things killing you)

There does need to be some work done on the class to make the spells feel more cohesive and synergistic.

For instance, I love how the wizard has a few ways to get off melee ranged spells safely, and usually simultaneously providing control. My most used combo with the wizard is to run a 30% slow, get close to the pack, nova and aoe for a second or 2, impact-blast wave and run again. Then having diamond skin on backup.....and being able to wait right before diamond skin wears off, and using nova again......

It flows real nice, even in inferno. (granted your skin dont last very long there :P)
I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

While the intent is for witch doctors to re-summon Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan fairly often, we agree that pets aren't living long enough in higher difficulty levels. Of course, the harder difficulties are supposed to be more challenging, but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cooldown to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc. And this is happening even when players are wearing pretty reasonable gear.

We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

I've been telling everyone since day one that when the dust settles after the nerfs and buffs, WD will be the best class to play. And by best class, I don't mean hammerdin powerful/invulnerable, but the risk/reward of playing such a dynamic and cool class will far outweigh any satisfaction of playing a pure ranged or melee DPSer.

Vitality scaling? CAN'T WAIT!
I love the Witch Doctor, but he's a bit of glass cannon as the game goes on. I would like to see the other quirky spells like frogs/locust/spirit barrage/fetishes more developed, but maybe it's how a player 'uses' it and I'm using them wrong. As for appearance, he's a Witch Doctor not a Witch Bench Presser. I like the appearance of both male and female (though the male's in-game jitters are kind of odd), however when it comes down to the atheistic, female Witch Doctor gets 10/10, no questions asked.
This thread is awesome. Thank you for all of the constructive feedback and very focused discussions.

I love you guys.

We also love you Lylirra! ♥
Oh and I don't mind the Zombie Dog lifespan. I just wish the cooldowns were a little shorter, and that a player could switch Runes on summons/spells during the cooldown process.

Wow...I haven't leveled my WD much yet, and this is a surprise. I just assume it would have scaled. Well that's good to know! Now I'm definitely not gonna start with a pet based build ;D

I have a pet based build, they scale off your Strength/Dex/Intelligence and also get the bonuses you have like 1.10% chance to blind on hit and stuff.

Check this out, helped me alot : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086
wd is totally out of place=''=

the skill is not so diabloish ... wd is like a overpower minion but underpower class i believe the unique fallen shaman from act 2 is way better and more powerful than wd considering the fact that he can do infinite revive and summon sucide fallen(infinite) and he can tele.

its like wd is more towards curse and voodoo...but the curse ..kinda of suck when compared to necro...seriously >_< juz bring back necro>_<