Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 32 Next
I find the Monk doesn't fit in the game. I don't like how the Witch Doctor appears but the spells are fine as well as interaction. I'd still prefer the Necromancer as raising a skeletal army along with replicates of enemies and cursing them/afflicting them with poison novas is more appealing to me.

But the Monk I simply do not like. Be it story, gameplay, or whatever else. Please bring the Paladin back in the future.

Fem monk ftw what are you talking about?

I didn't like my fem monk's voice. It sounded like she was just trying to do an impression of the male monk's voice, baritone and all. It sounded very strange to me. She sounds like a vampire. It's weird.

I love the way she looks though.
Act 3 Inferno wd

Pets are useless in Inferno. They do not survive long enough to do the dmg for the mana to be worthwhile.

Spirit walk is great but being as soon as the fake you gets damaged there are quite a lot of boss mechanics that end up killing you anyways. We are forced into spirit vessel ( I like this passive).

I feel like we are looked at as the crowd controller. Our damage is probably lower because of this plan for the class. In all honesty the only CC that is really needed in most situations is the improve slow. The others are situational or used to give a dmg buff( confusion-paranoia).

To get big numbers Vision Quest is shoved down our throat for us to do high burst damage. We have to use every cooldown even our defensive ones and hope we kill the boss/elites/champs before they kill us.

A: You'll need to beef up your def stat to help you pet survive.
Q: but then my dps would become too low?
A: Get better gear
Q: but how do I get gear to farm gear?
A: welcome to RMAH.
The Witch Doctor actually feels very much like a class that belongs in Diablo.

Diablo 3, however, feels a lot more lighthearted than earlier installments. I wasn't able to put my finger on it until recently, but the world seems brighter and more vibrant (that's a bad thing for Diablo) than previous games, and the reason for that is because the "light radius" effect from previous games is all but gone. There are no evil demons waiting in the shadows because... there are no shadows, and that takes away from the atmosphere of the game. But I digress.

Witch Doctor fits.. very very well, it's just a little on the colorful side, but that's not just a WD problem.
I like the general feel of the class and as far as fun factor I do enjoy playing it, but I'd agree that it doesn't fit and doesn't "click". The fact that pet mechanics will be broken later(my witch doctor isn't that far yet, just killed diablo with it) is rather immaterial to the whole "out of place" feel that it gives.

I start in Tristram, a dark, forboding town. Easy to see the Van-Helsingish demon hunter coming from areas like that.

In Act 2, I go to the desert. It's conceivable that the monk or wizard came from an area like this. There is a brief jungle segway, but it shows nothing that would make the Witch Doctor fit into the mix. Similarly, the fetishes in Diablo2 used some similar stuff, but the human expectation of jungle warriors from D2 does nothing to suggest a blowdart wielding, voodoo doll carrying hunchback.

Act 3, we go to Arreat. Never mind the fact that the Barbarian makes nearly no reference to his ancestral homeland while we're here(I've been through three difficulty levels with the barbarian, they just don't seem to make any significance of the fact that he's come home to this), he's still obviously at home in the nordic north. The half naked witch doctor is.....not.

Act 4. Heaven. Not voodoo heaven, not disco inferno heaven, not even lush jungle heaven. We're talking heavenly spires heaven. It's like the Witch Doctor is taking a stroll right on through the "hoooly moooly I sure picked the wrong religion" afterlife home of good guys, though he never made any comment to that effect. Dude was about as out of place in heaven as I am in a kilt and tube top at the mall without combing my beard.

The guys a hunched over, bone in his nose savage with shrunken heads, sacrificial daggers, masks, and voodoo dolls. And yet nobody ever seems to mention this to him in any noticeable way. Nobody else is a hunched over savage and nobody else is into sacrifices and shrunken heads. He's just plain out of place.
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

You're working with the forces of light, and justice to banish all evil from Sanctuary... Meanwhile as a witch doctor you're resurrecting corpses and putting plagues on everything. Just seems a little odd.
I can't get into the witch doctor... His left click abilities just aren't... Fun. Toads, Fking really? Spiders? His summons are a neusance more than anything. None of his attacks do good dmg, only his lolwtf cool Downs are good. He has too many useless attacks and not enough attacks that feel powerful. Maybe I'm not far enough? I have 3 60s now and he's only 20ish...

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

You're working with the forces of light, and justice to banish all evil from Sanctuary... Meanwhile as a witch doctor you're resurrecting corpses and putting plagues on everything. Just seems a little odd.

Because the dark and gritty Demon Hunter who is only fighting for the vengeance of their lost family and friends and probably couldn't care less about the greater good, is guided by the light and all that is holy. And because the aged Barbarian whose people is scattered, homeland destroyed, and who is only looking for a decent enemy or a good death is now the divine protector?
Each class is unique in their own way, each exotic in their own way. I feel that lore-wise the Witch Doctor fits in just fine. Seems typical of what you would find in someplace like Kurast. I do not believe they are from there, but they fit into the world. Some of their abilities do seem somewhat strange compared to the other classes, but I think they fit in just as well as the other characters.
I would argue that in dialogue the Witch Doctor is one of the most kind. Even though he/she uses the dead and spirits it's to help and free them. Just how even though the Necromancer raised the dead he was not evil.
05/30/2012 11:52 PMPosted by Dicon
I can't get into the witch doctor... His left click abilities just aren't... Fun. Toads, Fking really? Spiders? His summons are a neusance more than anything. None of his attacks do good dmg, only his lolwtf cool Downs are good. He has too many useless attacks and not enough attacks that feel powerful. Maybe I'm not far enough? I have 3 60s now and he's only 20ish...

Not every class is for everyone. If you don't like them you don't like them. But saying they are not powerful is a lie. There is a video on YouTube that even Bash commented about here in the forums of a WD downing the Butcher on Inferno in 9 seconds.
I play wd, lvl 60 in inferno. I like his style, thats why I picked him. though mechanics wise he's pretty far behind. So many useless skills, Id say about 70% of them are useless... specially in inferno. It gets pretty boring after a while, since you have to rotate through the same skills always. And yet, pets are useless late game... Except for hex and fetish...
Those who said they played D2 but feel other wise -
I doubt if they know about the infamous FLAYER JUNGLE.

Why would you doubt that?
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all.

He does seem kind of out of place. Not as out of place as Pandas tho. /grumble
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Interesting!

They're appearance doesn't seem to fit in with the environment of the game in my opinion. Cool concept,they just seem out of place. I don't know how else to put it.
personally I love having a witch doctor in my group, Haven't had the chance to try one out yet though, but they look fun as hell..
05/30/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Vranx
It doesn't feel right with the skills given and playstyle required at endgame inferno.

You cant reach diablo 3 End game in the second week, sory but Diablo 3 is not meant to be rushed

2nd character is almost to act 4 inferno. confused by your statement.
Act 4. Heaven. Not voodoo heaven, not disco inferno heaven, not even lush jungle heaven. We're talking heavenly spires heaven.

I think you're referring to the Protoss' home world.
Before I played a Witch Doctor, I was really looking forward to summoning hordes of frogs.

Then I summoned hordes of frogs.

The sound.... god why can't she just shut up and cast the spell... that sound is the most annoying thing I have ever heard. A lot of the combat sounds are annoying, but the frog summoning sound is just INTOLERABLE.

Just to give it a chance, I played till Act 1 Nightmare, level 31. But it really never got any less annoying.

And the costumes (especially the helmets), posture, way of moving, are just really garish and silly and don't fit the tone of the game at all. I don't feel like a badass slayer of demons, I feel like an extra on Ren and Stimpy.

The Witch Doctor just needs a heavy dose of "please stop being ridiculous now."
05/30/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Urdui
While I LOVE the witch doctor as well I too think he/she is rather out of place. Mostly in the reactions of the NPCs and such. These are simple normal folk and a witch doctor from the Teganse (did I spell it right?) seems a bit out of their scope of normality... even with the demons and all running around. Especially since he/she summons zombies (undead) of her own to run around with. This exotic character is treated like joe or jane average hero from next door, rahter than the wild exotic personage he/she is.

This is my problem. He seems out of place (not that he doesn't fit in, but that he is very different from all of the other heroes), but everyone treats him normally. I guess people just have bigger things to worry about then a strange man using foreign magics. He is still my favorite personally though.
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all.

He does seem kind of out of place. Not as out of place as Pandas tho. /grumble

Nothing is out of place in WoW. NOTHING. The lore is so crazy now that it doesn't matter what they do it makes sense in the Universe.
What bugs me about WD right now is when I spirit walk, half the time the mobs will continue to chase me for 1 second, turn back to the "fake" me that they're supposed to be on, then once it's up go back to me. It makes it harder to gain distance from certain elite mob packs. Also, my Garg(enrage rune, forget which one it's called) doesn't always enrage against elite packs/bosses until I resummon him. I'd be enjoying my (girl) WD a lot more if those two things weren't an issue.