The WASD Debate

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Hey kids and villains. I've been doing a lot of thinking and wondering about this topic since the game came out. It's worn heavy on my mind and I want to get a few things off my chest by addressing some of the wonderful arguments folks have been making against people who want WASD movement.

1. Enabling WASD movement isn't "Diablo". You've obviously never played Diablo games.

You really have to give me a break on this one. I mean, every time I read an argument to this effect I start laughing out loud and imagining some neck-bearded forty-year-old D&D player in their Mom's basement trying to defend some kind of sacred "loreness" from the evil casual gamers who have no respect for their years of devotion to classic Blizzard games. I mean, let's just look at the logic for a second. Do you have any idea how absurd this idea is? Saying that WASD movement somehow makes Diablo "not" Diablo is like saying playing Pong without an Atari Pong paddle makes it "not" Pong. Playing a flight simulator without a joystick makes it "not" a flight sim. Playing Guitar Hero without a plastic guitar but with a regular controller makes it "not" Guitar Hero. What control scheme you use to play a game doesn't magically change a game's code and make it something else. It's the same game, just played differently. I played D3 with WASD since it came out on the 15th (there are ways). Trust me guys, Deckard Cain doesn't turn into a Tauren and Diablo doesn't turn into a bomb-planting terrorist when played with WASD. Please, get off your high horses.

2. I play the game just fine using click-to-move / Click-to-move is the superior movement / WASD movement will make the game more difficult to play

Wonderful. I am so very, very happy for you. No, really. I'm just overflowing with joy knowing that you, some person I haven't met, know nothing about, probably don't like, play the game just fine moving your character with your mouse. But there's just one problem. You've mistaken me for someone who gives a !@#$ about you. WASD is for me and people who want to use it. No one was talking to you. If anything, since WASD is SO bad, you'll definitely "pwn our n00b asses", so what do you have to worry about? I hope people who take this stance realize this is the same logic that makes same-sex marriage illegal. "I don't like, I don't agree with it and I wouldn't do it... SO NO ONE WILL!" (yes, this makes WASD the gay marriage of control schemes).

3. You only want WASD because you play WoW / are too much of a n00b to use click-to-move / lost a bet and must use WASD controls on all games for the reaminder of your existence lest your first born child will be taken by an imp.

Uh, okay? You care about what I do, what buttons I press in my house, why I want to use WASD controls, why exactly?

4. Using WASD controls gives you an unfair advantage over other players.

FINALLY, a somewhat legitimate reason as to why one might be opposed to this control style. Too bad it's exactly the opposite of argument #2. I'll address it anyway. Let's break this down. Diablo, a game in which (currently) the only multiplayer of which is cooperative play, rewards all players in a party for doing well. So, if I were an asset to my team, it could possibly make my team / the people I play with more productive in terms of leveling and gaining resources. I'd be benefitting the people I play with and putting others at a disadvantage, how? By getting more gold and equipment in a smaller timespan, therefore filling my bags so quickly that I must sell items in the auction house at a discounted rate to be rid of them? There's no PvP (yet), I'm not ruining anyone's gaming experience by using WASD controls and I'm not taking anything away from anyone. But, would the widespread use of WASD movement really result in an epidemic of players obtaining FAR more resources in a smaller amount of time as to entirely throw off the game's economy and force other non-WASD using players to swich control schemes as to be able to keep up with those who are surpassing them? Ahh, I think I may have hit a nerve. Is this what you fear? Really? That you don't want to use WASD movement, nay, HATE WASD movement, but fear its advantages will force you to start using it in order to be the most productive at this game? Do we really have to quantify just EXACTLY how much of an advantage using WASD movement would give someone over click to move? Let me tell you this, as someone who has played D2 as a click-to-mover and having played D3 with WASD since it came out: there really isn't much to it. Personally, I can kite a little more effectively than with click to move. I save literally milliseconds in moving and casting at an area, since my cursor is allready over that area, than if I had to click to one side, move my cursor back, cast and then move my cursor back to the other side. You want to know what I'm really saving? My wrist. My potential for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. That's what. Most my friends still kick more %^- than me and they all use click-to-move. But I don't care, I DO WHAT I WANT! How this effects future possibilities of PvP? That's something else entirely, but if it REALLY does come down to "I hate WASD but have to use it so I don't get pwned in D3 PvP", that's a pretty *!@#ty reason that no one should get to use it.

Here's the nitty gritty, friends. Because there are a lot of very, very smart people out there who are really good with computer things like "teh codez", there currently is and will always be a way for people who want to play D3 with WASD. So you can cry about it and whine about it and rant about it and rave about it. It doesn't matter, because the people out there that want to play D3 with WASD or a joystick or an Xbox controller or $%^-*!@ed servos connected to their erect member will figure out a way to do it, and hand it out on the teh interwebz like it's #$%^-*!ed candy. Next time you join a public game, just remember someone in there might be using WASD movement. Cry a tear for me.
This whole thing makes me laugh anyway with the WASD.

In wow its like zomg your a noob if you keyboard turn, blizz doesn't put WASD in Diablo, zomg blizz give us WASD.

Bunch of noobs imo.
I don't even know how you would play Diablo 3 with WASD...
*rubs right wrist*

*cracks knuckles*

*rolls elbows around on table making sickening skin-bone crunching noise*
Regardless of the wall of ragey text, it's a nice enough point. Options are always nice - people don't have to use it if they don't want to.

I particularly agreed to this point though:
05/29/2012 04:05 AMPosted by Lycant
You want to know what I'm really saving? My wrist. My potential for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. That's what.

If you've ever tried a kiting Wizard that actually uses a signature skill while backtracking, you'll know how it feels.
05/29/2012 04:12 AMPosted by Alysandra
I don't even know how you would play Diablo 3 with WASD...
Pretty much the same way you do now, except you don't use M1 to move. WASD with 34ER for your 4 hotkeys wouldn't take much more effort than the default controls.

I don't care if they add them or not, they have other things to prioritize, but it would be nice to have; it wouldn't hurt.
WASD would be terrible anyways since it would only allow you to move in 8 directions (cardinal directions plus diagonals) rather than full 360 degree control. It would be the equivalent of keyboard turning in WoW.

And no one likes keyboard turners.
Hopefully, anyone modifying the game with such third party junk will be banned anyway.
ill take the same stance that i take on gay marriage

doesn't affect me so idgaf
Cheese burger please!
1. Enabling WASD movement isn't "Diablo". You've obviously never played Diablo games.

You really have to give me a break on this one.

Nope, this is the argument. You can't use WASD in Diablo because that's now how the interface is designed to work.

Can't hack it with click-to-move, go back to WoW.

/thread
so basically you're to used to using tab to target mobs and die a lot from running into them because you missed and clicked the ground next to it? Welcome to Diablo bruh, wont find any facerolling or champion pack finders you can que in while standing on your stash here
I was the "WASD is not Diablo" guy, but then i got real, and thought "why shouldn't I play the most comfortable way I can". Now i play with W as a move button, and skills on Q, E, A and D, while holding SHIFT so my DH doesn't move to the enemy instead of shooting at it.
WASD would be terrible anyways since it would only allow you to move in 8 directions (cardinal directions plus diagonals) rather than full 360 degree control. It would be the equivalent of keyboard turning in WoW.

And no one likes keyboard turners.

This isn't WoW. If you're a ranged character, WASD movement would benefit you as you could run away while having your mouse available for attacking without having to do some wrist breaking exercises.

If you're a melee going for that Health Orb - you wont be forced to fight your way through a giant monster that is so large you are unable to click past him to get to the health orb.