Useless item stats?

General Discussion
Some of the stats on items are pathetically useless, and it always irks me when I see them on a rare/unique because it probably means they were rolled there instead of another, more useful stat.

Melee attackers take X damager per hit (thorns): Why is it always an absurdly low, constant number? I've never seen it be larger than a couple hundred. Who the hell cares if you're tickling inferno mobs for a few hundred damage at a time? It should be as it was in D2: return a PERCENTAGE of the damage dealt to you.

X% Damage Dealt is Converted to Life (life leech): This used to be arguably the most useful stat in all of D2, what happened? I got a decent amount of this on my barb, yet when I hit for tens of thousands of damage, I literally only heal for a couple hundred. The reduction on this ability in later difficulties is tremendously debilitating, to the point where it makes this stat basically useless. The Each Hit Adds +X Life seems a little more helpful than the percentage-based life leech, but sadly it also sucks. +X Life per kill is also useless in inferno, because it's still a low value and you're likely not killing tons of mobs while you're kiting/running away from packs of elite mobs. Lastly, the healing every second stat is slightly less useless, but only as a means to wait for your Life to fill up between battles without using a potion/cooldown. While you're in a battle, it's useless. None of these stats will keep you alive a nanosecond longer on inferno mode. As it stands, the only actual useful stats for survival are: vitality, armor, and resist all.

Increase your health globe/gold pickup radius: So completely useless that I don't even need to explain why.

Health Globes grant more life: meh. The times where a heal is needed most is not after you've made a kill, but rather before.
None of the stats on the items are useless, its all in how you stack them, if you don't want thorns, don't stack it, if you don't care about wanting to only travel a few yards (vs 60) to pick up a globe/gold then don't stack it.

Most of my healing comes from +more from globes.

NONE of the healing mechanics in this game are meant to give you instant full health in any sense...which is exactly why there is now a CD on pots... and all of the mechanics are useful when stacked, otherwise they wouldn't be in game.

This isn't D2 you aren't going to be a god, so quit trying to play it like it is, the number one thing you learn about gearing in WoW is that those small increments add up to big things and D3 is easy mode compared to gearing in WoW, so, less qq and more pew pew.
bump
None of the stats on the items are useless, its all in how you stack them, if you don't want thorns, don't stack it, if you don't care about wanting to only travel a few yards (vs 60) to pick up a globe/gold then don't stack it.

Most of my healing comes from +more from globes.

NONE of the healing mechanics in this game are meant to give you instant full health in any sense...which is exactly why there is now a CD on pots... and all of the mechanics are useful when stacked, otherwise they wouldn't be in game.

This isn't D2 you aren't going to be a god, so quit trying to play it like it is, the number one thing you learn about gearing in WoW is that those small increments add up to big things and D3 is easy mode compared to gearing in WoW, so, less qq and more pew pew.

NONE of the stats are useless? It's all in how you stack them? Who the HELL is going to stack thorns, and why? The most you'll get is a couple thousand damage returned. That's still way too small of a number to be of any use in Inferno. And when you "stack" a stat, it's inevitable that you're sacrificing other stats. Who's going to pick thorns over vit or resistance? Nobody. Stats like thorns or life leech can perhaps become semi-useful when you get a ton of it, but it's going to come at a heavy cost, and is nowhere near as cost-effective and just geting vit, armor, or resist all. To think they are equally useful is laughably false. And please explain how increased gold/globe pickup radius isn't useless.

And your last paragraph is so dumb that it's undeserving of a response.
And by the way, it's curious how you think the game shouldn't have quick health recovery when we sure as hell have quick health loss. Getting almost one-shotted with no way to get your life back up quickly is about the same as just being one-shotted.
bump
bump
Play a melee char with like 7-9 yards of extra health globe pickup, then switch to 0.. you'll see how convient it was in those certain circumstances.

Fighting plagued/Molten Desecration, and the health globe you need is on all 3, with 1 peice of gear with decent pick up, you dont need to step in the desecrate or molten just the plague.. that makes it worth it. vital no, worth it yes.

Warrior have a passive to double thorns, and boosts armor.. build huge armor, with thorns, and life leach(which procs from thorns).. you take less damage they take more.. much better then it being % based. that way by you surviving, via Damage Reduction, you arn't nerfing the damage return %.

There are your stats showin in useful ways.
You're sincerely kidding yourself if you think thorns is useful, in its current state. Show me a non-casual barb with high end inferno gear who purposefully stacks thorns. Spoiler alert: you can't.
I feel like you guys don't actually understand how much HP you need in inferno, and how quickly it dimishes, and how much HP the enemies have. These values are so large that the amounts gained/lost by lifeleech/thorns is so miniscule that they're undeniably worse stats than just stacking more vitality, armor, resist all, or your primary stat.
bump
bump
I agree that thorns is useless.

I'm still on the fence about the others.
05/30/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Tolgeros
Melee attackers take X damager per hit (thorns): Why is it always an absurdly low, constant number? I've never seen it be larger than a couple hundred. Who the hell cares if you're tickling inferno mobs for a few hundred damage at a time? It should be as it was in D2: return a PERCENTAGE of the damage dealt to you.

Sorry?

You might be interested in checking this page out...
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/suf.shtml

Take a look at the suffixes for Thorns, Spikes, Razors, and Swords.

Once you've done that, please come back to me and explain "It should be as it was in D2: return a PERCENTAGE of the damage dealt to you." to me, thanks!

And you thought the return values in Diablo 3 were absurdly low, constant numbers! Joke's on you!
Totally agree. Useless mods:

Thorns - Not enough damage to matter. Mobs with 300,000 health really don't care if they take 1-3k from your stacked thorns. Since they will kill you in 4-5 hits, thorns will never return enough damage to justify its existence.

Gold / Globe pickup radius - This is actually a stat that works against you. It provides a slight convenience in being able to pick up gold, but it also makes it more difficult to strategically use health globes as you will just automatically eat them whenever they pop out, meaning none will be available if you take some real damage.

Life Leech - It shouldn't be so greatly reduced in inferno. It generally caps ~3%, and unlike D2 you can't stack it to high heavens. It needed the reduction there because people were stacking 15% life leech easily, and often 20-30% in addition to having huge damage. Here you are hard pressed to even stack 3%.

Life on Kill - Pretty bad stat that only helps when you are killing white trash mobs. But having a stat dedicated to something that doesn't help you with elites is entirely worthless.

Life on hit - you're wrong about this one, it's pretty good.

Health Regen / Second - Not very good at all, but better than other completely useless stats.

Chance to inflict Bleed on Hit - Way to low damage to matter, unless it's modified by your bonus damage from primary stat, which I've never tested. Is it?
05/30/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Tolgeros
You're sincerely kidding yourself if you think thorns is useful, in its current state. Show me a non-casual barb with high end inferno gear who purposefully stacks thorns. Spoiler alert: you can't.

Well, there was one inferno barb who stacked a ton of thorns gear and made a video of the Butcher 1 shotting himself. While amusing, I found it to be a nice indicator of how useless thorns is.
I agree that Thorns is useless, regardless of your build or stacking it. A coupe thousand dmg here and there is nothing to a mob(s) with millions to hundreds of millions of health. A few points in thorns may have been entertaining in D2, watching fallen on normal difficulty kill themselves, however once out of the first area it becomes obsolete.
Kamphaer, this thread is over 3 years old.

Funny though how the problem in the OP still exists though.
Legendary weapons that give you +4% chance to __________ enemies, lol.

Wow, I'm totally equipping that weapon. A whopping 4% chance, can't pass that up!
Doesn't thorns damage increase with your strength/int/dex? That said, blizzard has said that as cool as it is to be an unkillable wall that enemies kill themselves on, they don't like the idea of passively playing the game like that. They prefer that even tankier characters play actively in order to succeed.