Blizzard has forced general chat on everyone

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 19 Next
Further to my earlier post, I present my encounter with general after login a moment ago...

85 people in channel
General [player name omitted] says: cause thats not what diablo is about
General [same player name omitted] says: <expletive deleted> no it wasn't
General [same player name omitted] says: wow
General [same player name omitted] says: your garbage
General [same player name omitted] says: no more talking to you
You have left the channel

... my point reinforced and my reasoning for not wanting to participate in general chat explained.
People are stating D3 isn't an Online game, or isn't an MMO. It is what the devs wanted it to be... Nothing like D1 or D2. So can we stop comparing?

This game has Online features and MMOish features because Blizzard wanted them in D3, meaning...it's nothing like a single-player game. So if their intentions were to have social interaction in-game, then that was their intention. It sure wasn't the devs intention for D1 or D2. Or Bioshock 1. Or Mario Bros. You get the point.

Just turn if off. If their intention is to have online interaction, which I believe it is...just look how the game is designed, just be glad you're not forced into general chat; meaning NO options to turn it off.

I've long accpeted the fact that this game is in the same vein as PSO:BB (or PSU...ugh), or games like that. An Online RPG with MMO features that you play with a bunch of people, but have the option to solo if you so choose; just like an MMO. If you ask me, other than raiding? 95% of the playerbase in MMOs just solo anyway. Heh.
Dyn,

You do bring up a good point. THANKFULLY we do have the option is disable it, even if it is for a brief moment. I didn't even consider NOT having the option. So, thanks for that.

To diminish the forsaken's already reduced mount numbers, just give us the permanent option as well.
Dyn,

You do bring up a good point. THANKFULLY we do have the option is disable it, even if it is for a brief moment. I didn't even consider NOT having the option. So, thanks for that.

To diminish the forsaken's already reduced mount numbers, just give us the permanent option as well.

In WoW they are at least considerate enough for the client to remember that you left their stinkin channel after you logoff rather than making ya have to remember to leave it each time...
Kind of funny how people have complained about Battle.net 2.0's "ghost town" effect. Yet, when they borrow a concept from Battle.net 1.0 (throwing people into a random channel upon logging in, forcing you into socialization), people complain? Blizzard can honestly never win.

I personally like being forced into general chat upon log in. It's reminiscent of the old Starcraft 1 or Diablo 2 days, when you were just dropped into some channel (oh hi US-East #31, what's up people?).
Sair,

That's great for you! And I am being really serious. For people like you, that option is amazing. However, I dislike it. And the whole issue is that the client should remember options for both you and I.
Smelly,

It takes literally half a second to leave general chat upon logging in. I agree it might be a tad inconvenient for you, but this issue is not as pressing as this forum thread makes it out to be.
@Dynheart

Respectfully, I disagree with you.

Diablo III was not presented to the public as an MMO. Furthermore, the online components of the game (notwithstanding the global auction house) are more like DII than any MMO I've played in recent memory (and I've played my share).

Blizzard may do as they please with the game's design of course. However, they have an audience to satisfy (not pander to) and assuming we are to accept Blizzard's assertions about listening to their community's concerns as truthful, they will listen.

I suggest to you that these forums exist for exactly this purpose. I, like many other people in this thread, are providing legitimate feedback about an issue of concern. If we don't say anything, how will they know there might be a problem?

@those who would sarcastically say "oh no, I have to click two buttons"

You may think you are right in brow-beating people in these forums over matters you don't consider worthwhile but, the reality is such that, we who have concerns are free to express them here and we aren't impressed by people who use the argument "I'm shouting my thoughts in chat so, I'm right and you're wrong!" Arguments are won on merit not, who yells the loudest.

Making a convincing argument requires a valid point and the ability to argue it convincingly.
Sair,

No I agree. It doesn't take a HUGE amount if time to leave. In fact, most people have said so in this thread. It is just a minor inconvenience.

All we are asking for is a permanent "leave general option" to be placed somewhere on the To-Do list. You know, somewhere above Dance Studios for WoW but behind fixing Monks in D3. :-)
Smelly,

It takes literally half a second to leave general chat upon logging in. I agree it might be a tad inconvenient for you, but this issue is not as pressing as this forum thread makes it out to be.

Then why change it from what it was before the patch?, it took literly half a second for you to join the channel (it works both ways). There was nothing wrong with how it was, all they really needed to do was make it remember how you had it so everyone was happy.

People are making a big deal about it because there was no need for the change, and during the startup before you have a chance to disable it you get spammed with gold seller posts.
I know, make it an option in the option menu. That way it is always off or always on based on your choice.
Why force us to join General chat? If I wanted to talk to people with sub 10 IQ, I would have volunteered at a local facility.
I think it's kind of fun to chat and play at the same time. The interface is the big problem. If you don't want it, it should be easily disabled. It's one of the few things that should've been made simplistic, but instead simplicity was applied everywhere else.
Forcing me to see the angry diatribes of thousands of players is not useful, cool or anything I wanted. Whenever I see the chat it is blazing by so fast there is no way you could read any of it anyway. Why am I forced to see this crap? I am not interested in the rantings of mental midgets!

Here's a list of options that need to be implemented immediately.
1. General Chat toggle because I am not interested in chatting with you or anybody else who plays this game, I have Skype, Teamspeak, Ventrillo for that.
2. Toggle for Cinematics...having killed the Prime Evils a hundred times I'm no longer interested in the cinematics.
3. Toggle for Quest Dialogs...yeah I'm so sick of Leah, her Mom, Tyrael... I wish I could nuke them. hmm that gives me an idea...
4. New secret level where I get to kill Leah and her Mom over and over
*Click

*Leave channel

*Silence.

How dare they force me to go through such turmoil?

Agreed! I don't play Diablo just to click my mouse repeatedly, and expecting me to have to click my mouse is unreasonable.
2. Toggle for Cinematics...having killed the Prime Evils a hundred times I'm no longer interested in the cinematics.
3. Toggle for Quest Dialogs...yeah I'm so sick of Leah, her Mom, Tyrael... I wish I could nuke them. hmm that gives me an idea...

I haven't seen a cinematic other than the end since I finished normal... or do you mean the ~3 seconds of filler showing drawings on parchment while changes to the environment are made?

Esc skips this and it will skip the dialogue. Enjoy!
@Dynheart

Respectfully, I disagree with you.

Diablo III was not presented to the public as an MMO. Furthermore, the online components of the game (notwithstanding the global auction house) are more like DII than any MMO I've played in recent memory (and I've played my share).

Blizzard may do as they please with the game's design of course. However, they have an audience to satisfy (not pander to) and assuming we are to accept Blizzard's assertions about listening the their community's concerns as truthful, they will listen.

I suggest to you that these forums exist for exactly this purpose. I, like many other people in this thread, are providing legitimate feedback about an issue of concern. If we don't say anything, how will they know there might be a problem?

@those who would sarcastically say "oh no, I have to click to buttons"

You may think you are right in brow-beating people in these forums over matters you don't consider worthwhile but, the reality is such that, we who have concerns are free to express them here and we aren't impressed by people who use the argument "I'm shouting my thoughts in chat so, I'm right and you're wrong!" Arguments are won on merit not, who yells the loudest.

Making a convincing argument requires a valid point and the ability to argue it convincingly.

It is what it is at this point. But what of the people who like the auto join feature? Now we have an issue. We have on half who dislikes it, and an other half who doesn't. But the one half that doesn't like it will cause in uproar, or a way to "communicate", on these forums.

So there's an issue here:

A) Leave it as is and have this argument; that Blizzard is once again, destroying the series.

OR
B) Bring it back to the way it was, even though people may be enjoying the auto join feature, and we have the same exact argument; but through different eyes. And once again? Blizzard is destroying the Diablo series.

It's a vicious cycle that the devlopers cannot win.

This goes with every single video game known to man kind, not just this game. It's the "my idea is better than yours and the devs..they better fix it or they suck; and you suck too!" mentallity that's also confusing.

Fix one thing your happy, I'm not. Fix the other...your not happy, and I'm grinning from ear to ear. This will continue until D4, if there is ever a D4.
People wanted that, now they have it and other people complain....

They just can't please anyone... But i will say that having auto-join features make the chat allot more "useful" that they was..

But i do agree that a option inside "social" to disable auto log to a chat channel should be there..
Only the people who really want to disable it will know that.
People like me how doesn't care will keep it that way.
It would have been to reduce the number of people who get DC'd by not being in General Chat who didnt have enough sense to figure out how to join chat. Im guessing they assumed (incorrectly) that those of us with enough brains to rub together would just leave channel if we didnt need to be in there. Things are made for the lowest common demoniator these days dont join them have a think for yourself and just leave chat. Feel better in the knowledge that your elite brain has figured out a souloution to your dillema.

FFS is it really a big deal having to do stuff for yourself.
Our current plan is to apply a change to this in an upcoming patch so that your chat preferences are saved when you leave a game. This means you wouldn't be connected to General chat when you join a game if you had left the channel in your last game. We'll let you know when we have more details available about this potential change.