How to calculate spell damage:

Wizard
I see so many people paying a massive amount of attention to their "dps" and not actually understanding how their spell damage is determined. So here we go:

This is how your dps number is calculated:

(1 + passive skill boosts)*(Average Weapon Damage + ((minimum damage bonus + maximum damage bonus)/2))*(Weapon Damage Multipliers)*(Attack Speed)*(1 + ( crit% * crit damage %))*( 1 + (intelligence / 100))

This is how your spell damage is calculated:

(1 + passive skill boosts)(Weapon Damage + (minimum damage bonus + maximum damage bonus) / 2)(1 + (intelligence / 100))(Spell modifier)

FOR CHANNELING SPELLS:
(1 + passive skill boosts)(Weapon Damage + (minimum damage bonus + maximum damage bonus) / 2)(1 + (intelligence / 100))(Spell Modifier)(Attack Speed)

***Attack speed will increase the tick amount and arcane power consumed per tick of a channeled spell because the game ticks at fixed intervals. It is essentially just increasing the rate of ticks/power consumed by your + attack speed % and then averaging it over those predefined tick intervals (note that hydra is treated the same way)***

-Weapon damage is a random value in the damage range of your weapon, if you want to determine average spell damage, then take the average weapon damage and add in multipliers for crit chance similar to the dps formula.
-Minimum and maximum damage bonus are things like a ring that gives +42-137 damage (42-137 has a min of 42, max of 137, some items just have min or max).
-Passive skill boosts are passives such as glass cannon.
-Spell modifier is the number listed on your spell i.e. arcane orb is 1.75 (175%)

Some things to think about:

-Keep in mind that Arcane power (AP) regenerates at a fixed rate (ignoring +AP on crit affixes), so in fights which arcane power is a limiting factor, AP to damage ratio becomes very important in determining how much dps you can do to a target.

-Increased attack speed:
PRO
-It allows you to finish casting animations faster
-It improves your ability to spend AP quickly (burst damage)
-It straight up increases the dps of archon (no AP required = no drawback)
-It can facilitate critical mass builds.
CON
-It can actually be a terrible stat if you are being limited by AP regeneration or not
making good use of signature spells, since it does not actually improve your AP to
damage ratio (with the exception of hydra)

-The dps listed on an item can be misleading for the same reason your dps number can be misleading. You should know whether or not you want a high base damage weapon. If you find you are limited by AP or not using signature spells very much, odds are you want a slower weapon with higher base damage.

TL;DR: That wizard with the 2H that hits for 1100-1500 at 0.9 but only has 28k dps listed could be out-dpsing the wizard with 40k dps, a 1.2 weapon and a bunch of attack speed. KNOW YOUR MATH!
Good post. It's also important to note that the attack speed heavy route costs so much more to do.
you probably never have > 50k dps and using Magic Missile (Charged Blast) right? They call it Primary Skill and you don't use it.
So you didn't notice all the blizzard/venom hydra with sig spaming build in the forums? That's the under-lying concept:
faster attack speed = faster AP usage.
blizzard and hydra = same AP usage over time (unlike wow, the duration of the spell is not lowered by ISA)
Sig spells have no Ap cost = spaming that sig spell while hydra/blizzard is active
So. I have been thinking about how exactly does it work?

Does Blizzard use DPS displayed in inventory window as the basis for calculating damage over 6 seconds (sort of like channeling but no need to stand still) or does it simply use the base one shot damage to calculate its damage roll?

This is an issue for me since I am currently using 2her in inferno with blizzard/hydra kite...and I got some rings that's IAS but doesn't do much to single attacks in my stash...

Does Blizzard use DPS displayed in inventory window as the basis for calculating damage over 6 seconds (sort of like channeling but no need to stand still) or does it simply use the base one shot damage to calculate its damage roll?

This is an issue for me since I am currently using 2her in inferno with blizzard/hydra kite...and I got some rings that's IAS but doesn't do much to single attacks in my stash...

AFAIK blizzard is considered a channeling spell with a 1 time cost similar to hydra, so use the formula above for channeling spells.
I don't get it.
Dps takes both attack speed and damage into account. What has Ap got to do with it?

AFAIK blizzard is considered a channeling spell with a 1 time cost similar to hydra, so use the formula above for channeling spells.

Everything in this post, including the IAS questions and specifically blizzard/hydra, are covered over here, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5594209994
I don't get it.
Dps takes both attack speed and damage into account. What has Ap got to do with it?

I don't think it was posted clearly, so correct me OP if I'm wrong. But what the thread was about is that how faster weapons =/= more damage despite the higher dps number in your character stats. The reason is that the AP restraint will limit us to the number of spells we can cast.

For Example: If two wizards have the same DPS but wizard A casted super hard hiting spells thats very slow, and Wizard B casted half strength spells but twice as fast. Their dps on paper is the same, but wizard B will run out of AP because wizard B has to cast twice the amount of spells as wizard A (this is true for Arcane orb, ray of frost, ray of disc).
I don't get it.

Wizard A:
1000 int
400-600 dmg weapon at 1.5 speed (750dps)

Wizard B:
1000 int
650-850 dmg weapon at 1.0 speed (750dps)

Wizard A arcane orb spam does 13125dps and consumes 52.5 arcane power per second
Wizard B arcane orb spam does 13125dps and consumes 35 arcane power per second

So if arcane power becomes a limiting factor (i.e. after both wizards fire 3 orbs)...
Lets assume for the examples sake that both wizards gain arcane power at a rate of 20 per second...

When constrained by arcane power regeneration:
Wizard A's arcane orb does an average of 5000 dps
Wizard B's arcane orb does an average of 7500 dps

Now obviously if wizard A can fit in a few more signature spells here and there then maybe he can make up some of that gap, but hopefully this helps you understand without making the math too complicated. (It gets a bit messy calculating the component of damage that comes from signature spells)
I think the takeaway message here is don't have tunnel vision and only look at dps. Tailor your damage depending on your play style.

The general rule of thumb is if you rely mostly on one-off spells (hydra, blizzard), go for a weapon with high raw damage.

If you rely on spamming signature spells, go for high dps weapons.

If you rely on non-signature semi-spam spells (disintegrate, arcane orb) go for efficient dmg/ap weapons which is probably usually a pretty balanced dmg/attack speed weapon set up.
I don't get it.

I don't think it was posted clearly, so correct me OP if I'm wrong. But what the thread was about is that how faster weapons =/= more damage despite the higher dps number in your character stats. The reason is that the AP restraint will limit us to the number of spells we can cast.

For Example: If two wizards have the same DPS but wizard A casted super hard hiting spells thats very slow, and Wizard B casted half strength spells but twice as fast. Their dps on paper is the same, but wizard B will run out of AP because wizard B has to cast twice the amount of spells as wizard A (this is true for Arcane orb, ray of frost, ray of disc).

Exactly. AP has everything to do with DPS/IAS because wizards are constrained by AP cost.
05/30/2012 03:15 AMPosted by Missbehave

If they only use one spell : yes

But, lets take an exemple with arcane Orb and another sig spell..

Both wizz will go OOAP using arcane Orb, but Wiz B will go OOAP before, and start casting his other spell, dealing more damage over time than Wiz A....
thx...So blizzard is not a channelling spell after all =D
So in these equations +x% to elemental skill dmg is considered a passive, added to your spell modifier or a new variable added at the end?

For example the Wand Fragment of Destiny which would had +25% to frost skill dmg.