Inferno Drain-Tanking WD: now with videos!

Witch Doctor
1 2 3 7 Next
DISCLAMER: you will need to farm a lot or play the AH for this to work, as it makes you as gear depedant as a melee character. Why? You become a melee character.

Now with videos!:
Butcher fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v76vtd4Em_M
Act 1 farming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfDpss948Q
Act 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txw8aLvMdxE

Build: This is what I use in inferno.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WZXdUj!ZcU!bcYZcb
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WZXdUj!ZcU!bbYZcb
(only difference being in the GotD rune. Death is life has better health return at low LoH levels, but Rain of Corpses start healing enough with high LoH that its consistency makes it better in the long run)

Gearing:
You want to stack resists, armor, and Life-On-Hit items primarely. Secondary stats would be Vitality and Intellect, in that order.

Use a 1h (as fast as you can get) + Shield

Tactics:
Dont run. Don't kite. What you want to be doing is tanking, straight up. Keep your Mass Confusion up in case you need some emergency regen. While you still want to keep VQ up, Toads isnt nearly as consuming as Bears or Bats, so you have some margin. Use your other skills as close to "on cooldown" as you can while still trying to maximize your returns.

Toads is your spammed tool. Aim it wherever the pile is thickest. Because of the way Rain of Toads stack, and the speed of the ticks, you can regen much faster then most packs will damage you, letting you stand still as long as there are mobs to hit, the more the better.

Obviously you still want to avoid power mechanics (charged knockbacking hits or bad elite comps for exemple). In these scenarios you can use Grasp and your multiple CCs to kite quite effectively, should you need to.

Again: beware that you need good gear to pull this off. In act 1, I can face-tank most elite packs with 300 resists, 4k armor and 30k hp. In act 2, id say you need at least 500 resists and 5k armor. Act 3 you are fine with that armor but get near 700 resists before attempting. I have not tried act 4 yet. For the reccord im sitting at about 1k life-on-hit.

Please feel free (i encourage it!) to leave comments or ideas as to how to improve on it.
An opinion why dun u go spirit barrage-phanstam..if u are going lifesteal...just cast and stand there to tank.... to replace graps of dead
I did something like this and used all the skills with hit on hit effects.

-burning dogs is aoe x3
-big stinker is aoe x 1
-spider queen is a fast ticking on hit effect

Then get gear with on hit, it's fun but I couldn't get it to work for act 2.
Didn't invest into it too much.

Worked for act 1 and for about 90% of elites but was very slow compared to bears.
I do it in inferno also, but I use the skull bomb double bounce and grasp of the dead with about 700hp on hit. Doing2-3 skulls a second I watch my life drop all the way down and go all the way back up multiple times per group. In first boss of inferno act 4 I have no issue tanking all the adds.
This idea + the on hit effect gear was part of a post I made earlier today saying that an all 4 Witch Doctor party could potentially be awesomeamazingbroken!

If everyone had like
4-5% Chance to Fear
4-5% Chance to Stun
4-5% Chance to Stun
4-5% Chance to Freeze
4-5% Chance to Immobilize
4-5% Chance to Blind
4-5% Chance to Knockback
etc.

Imagine that, with rain of toads fast hits + aoe dogs + stinker + spider queen TIMES FOUR WITCH DOCTORS (With life on hit or whatever so they always live - this part not as fun to talk about though ;p)
If this works in inferno, I'll be really impressed =O
I dont understand Vision Quest. Toads don't use that much mana, why not use something more useful like SA or Blood Ritual?
So basically...way, way overgear act 1, and then you don't die instantly.

Cool story bro
05/31/2012 12:15 AMPosted by Nich
I dont understand Vision Quest. Toads don't use that much mana, why not use something more useful like SA or Blood Ritual?

yes me too
Y I proved that tanking could be possible with my dracula build, which makes you tank on the base of life regen

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ecUdjT!ZVU!ZZZZZZ

explanation of the build in this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235395338?page=1#2
05/30/2012 09:50 PMPosted by WarSlorrr
Interesting. Please post your current gear and I assume you tested this non-inferno?

Currently at 15k damage, 40k hp, 500 resists and about 4.5k armor, just started act 3. Only got a 779 dps 1h tho. And no, i only tested this in inferno.

If this works in inferno, I'll be really impressed =O

It was originally intended to make act 1 farming easyer, and the result surprised me so much i continued using it. Currently I can face-tank 100% of act 1 and most of act 2.

So basically...way, way overgear act 1, and then you don't die instantly.

Welcome to Inferno. For ranged its fine since you can kite, meaning all you need is a good weapon, but for any melee toon, this is how it works. Im not saying its a good thing, but its the way the game is currently designed. Farm, sell stuff, play the ah, and you should have the gear you need by the time you get to act 1 inferno.

P.S. its not a question of "not dying instantly". Its a question of tanking. There is a huge difference.

I originally intended to use Spirit Vessel to add more survivability and give me a margin of error, but the thing is, even with just toads, you eventually do run out of mana, and quicker then you'd think. Its also one of the reason I dont use Spirit Barrage instead of Grasp: your "tanking" depends on sustaining constant toads. If you run out of mana, you die, period.
im making tank WD as well didnt know there are many people trying to do that. havent reached inferno yet cause im in asia server and you know what is happening there. ill update here if my tanky WD does well in inferno
i'd like to see you get past any of the mini bosses in act 4 with that build, so far the only build i know of that beats all act 4 minibosses are big bad voodoo/raindance/bear spam and hope you kill him within 5 seconds
05/31/2012 03:59 AMPosted by microHARD
i'd like to see you get past any of the mini bosses in act 4 with that build, so far the only build i know of that beats all act 4 minibosses are big bad voodoo/raindance/bear spam and hope you kill him within 5 seconds

Like I said, i am not in act 4 yet (frankly in act 3 with 500 resists im finding myself kiting a bit again. Will be tryin to get more resists/armor/lifeonhit and ill repost after.

That being said, Bosses are quite different then farmed content. This is a build that relies on the number of hits you can put out, which means the more mobs you are hitting, the more you will regen. Depending on how much damage act 4 bosses are doing, it is indeed possible that the regen might not keep up on a single target. That being said, I havn't had that problem yet (of course im still dodging encounter mechanics).
I'm beating act 3 with a very non-standard build that's waaayyy less gear dependent.

30k Hp, 30k DPS, no ah, 200 resists, 2700 armor.

these hyper gimmicky builds are awesome, but not the way to go on a first play through.

I'll make a post on my build soon.

It's easy enough to where anyone could do it with just farm gear (yes, I got those stats with farm gear. Not that hard).
05/31/2012 03:59 AMPosted by microHARD

Bosses =/= farm content. Not at all. Most Inferno WDs use different builds for bosses than farm content until they have good enough gear to run 1 build all the way through (non-existent in Act III & IV yet).
would love to be rich enough to run this build. question, why not go with locust swarm over GOTD if you won't be kiting? wouldn't locust swarm be more dps?
Most Inferno WDs use different builds for bosses than farm content until they have good enough gear to run 1 build all the way through (non-existent in Act III & IV yet).
This isn't true, at least for me with my build and gear, for any bosses other than Belial and Rakanoth. (Even Diablo is fine with my normal setup, but don't farm farm him, he takes forever.) I switched to bears for Azmodan just to get it over with, but he's slow and easy so a normal splinters build shouldn't have any trouble. Honestly, for farming act 3 and 4 bosses, I think getting 5 stacks in a reasonable amount of time is the harder part; it takes some luck with the elite packs you run into.

I've gotten all my gear from watching the AH for good deals and farming Maghda (with 5 stacks) maybe 25ish times, so it's certainly doable.

Anyway, thanks for posting this build; I want to try it! But I'm cheap, and don't really want to spend lots of money on life on hit items, especially when I don't like farming and could be spending that money trying to upgrade my main set of gear more. :(
how much life on hit should i start with ? will 300~400 be sufficient ?