Next Expansion what Classes?

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 20 Next
IMO the best class for the Dialbo 3 expansion would be a knight class. (You know the one with the sword and shield that goes to save the princess) He would use a sword and shield and look knight like with full Gothic plate. In the beginning he would start out in leather armor or clothes and slowly advance to full plate. The best way to write in a story for this character would be something like the demon hunter and monk combined was at his castle and was attacked by demons or something like that. Good skills might be a shield charge and some other sword and shield combination stuff. you could give him some kind of trained skills that make his armor or damage work better. Most of the reasoning behind this guy is that my favorites in both Diablo 1 and 2 were the warrior and paladin and they both were kind of like this but I don't want to play the same old guy that I have spent 10 years playing I want something new.
It will be a Knight/Shield-bearer.
Melee Str-based class that specializes in a shield.

Evidence:
1) Shields are barely used now
2) There's only 2 melee classes as opposed to 3 ranged
3) There's only 1 str-based class

If they add 2 or 3 classes, I might expect to see hybrid-stat classes like str/int, str/dex, or int/dex as a possibility.
it better not be a !@#$%-^-* nipallalam class
samurai... or blood knight

uses 2 handed swords but can also have a class item in other hand such as s sheath (to charge sword or something)

uses hp as resource?
would require lots of healing abilites/LOH type things in order to charge weapons with his own blood... seems kinda interesting... maybe instead of an attack costing 100 hp to do, it would use %s like 10% hp or 75% for a much stronger attack... throw a cool down time on those to keep people from spamming them at 1 hp and it could work

using %s also makes it better to use weaker abilities before stronger/more costly abilites for longer fights so as to use up as little hp as possible which adds a bit of planning as to how to best deal with monsters

maybe a passive that allows all abilites with cool downs to be used twice before cool down begins?

vit based class with str as secondary
Another class to build main stat + vit AR AS LS CC CD. =))
I would love assassin class back but only whiy shadow/artial marts skills(since DH have traps already)

it cold be half melee (str class) for martial arts skills and half caster for shadow skills

I miss my kick sins from Diablo 2 and i would love to have the assassin back

my 2 ctns
paladin or half angel class would be sick!
Sorceress, warrior, fetish shaman, ranger and holy paladin

Yeah amazons were my favorite but i think they need to add a real pet class before anything else.

A pet class is unlikely. It would be broken, given the way this game works.

Right now, there are two playstyles: ranged and melee.

Ranged take a crapton of damage, and get countered by affixes that force them closer. They do a lot of damage, but they do it inconsistently (they need to kite often)

Melee absorb/avoid/resist the vast, vast majority of the damage, and get countered by 'run away' elites (dang insects from Act 2, demon birds from act 3, Morlu Incenerators from act 4), affixes that cause them to lose control of their character (knockback, nightmarish, frozen in small spaces), and affixes that prevent/mitigate damage on the target (Shielding mostly. Somewhat Extra Health, Health Link, Invulnerable.) They do less damage, but they do it very, very consistently.

Pet classes would be broken because their pet would soak the attention and the damage- meaning they wouldn't have to kite like a ranged (they would have 100% uptime on damage), and they wouldn't have to worry about loss of control affixes or 'force closer' affixes.

It would be MUCH easier for Blizzard to design and balance something within the current 2 models.

You do know about the Witch Doctor right?
I bet such an idea of a new class is equally mysterious to Blizzard as well. How do you create new skills and passives that are similar to the rest but unique in their own, combined way?

Questions to ask:

Should the class have a unique resource or a resource as others have such as mana, fury, etc?
-- Will this resource naturally recharge like arcane energy and mana?
-- Will it stay or diminish out of combat such as with spirit or fury?
-- How is it generated?
-- Or could it be like the early barbarian and WoW Death Knights with runes that reset after use?

Should the class's main attribute be strength, as we do not have but one user of that or a combination of two attributes? Or perhaps something adaptable where there are more combinations that work together?

Should this class operate like a hybrid with options to be a ranged combatant or melee combatant? Monks and barbarians have shadows of that with some of their abilities such as axe throw and wave of light.

- -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- -

With all that asked, I sort of envision a class called the Warlock. We're talking a strength class. This guy is dark like necromancer perhaps even half demonic. He'll have curses. And for the druid fans, some sort of shapeshifting skills ranging from primal, animal like forms to demonic forms. The energy resource should symbolize some of that demonic side in being divided into 5 sections like a pie cut in 5 even pieces. Each one is called a glyph and naturally recharges after use. To supplement glyph usage, the Warlock should have some sort of blood/life skills where life may be used with or without glyphs for various attacks.

Technical aspects of the previous paragraph:

There should be some sort of dimming when used and gradual glow increase to let players know a glyph is about to be completed followed by a flash when charged. I chose 5 as 4 sounds like too few to work with unless they recharge really fast and 6 sounds like too many for the corner of your eye to catch easily.

I considered having 5 unique colors or designations for each of the 5 glyphs for unique skills that may use 1 or more (like the WoW Death Knight), but that sounds like it can be unintuitive and cumbersome in rapid paced combat. The number of glyphs used at any point could designate how powerful an attack may be.

Life based spells may complicate things. Perhaps skills should only use glyphs on initial cast and have in the text saying that the skill will drain x% life over a specified period (instant, over time).

- -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- - -- --- -- -

Skill examples:

One example I thought about would utilize monster life. Let's say that I cast this aoe around me or at a target spot that causes all enemies to lose x% life and radiate damage equal to that life lost to all demons around them in let's say 25 yards. This may be varied to being a specific target and a change of radius of radiated damage and how long it takes for life to be lost or damage to be given off.

Maybe a thorns type ability where when target's attack you, damage they do to you is shockwaved from them to monsters around them. Note that this attack doesn't make you the center point for damage emission. Damage will radiate from the attacker to other demons around. This might be like an aura or maybe you give off an aoe that affects targets to do this. Maybe cause it to bounce (imagine the mutalisk glaive wurm combined with the witch doctor's locust swarm in some way).

A final ability would be one that causes you to lose life for x time, the life lost will increase your dps, stats or damage output in some way. This makes you weaker physically over time, but dramatically increases how badly you're smashing demon face. Let's say as a wildly unbalanced idea that for every 2% life lost / second, increase dps by 5% every second that passes. Dps number cannot be increased by more than your maximum amount life.

Enjoy!
Paladin and Druid please :).
Without customization points for stats and spells for not playing DiabloClone ( all char lvl 60 are the same atm) the expension will be without me.
I'm not entirely sure what the developers will cook up in terms of classes, but Paladin, Assassin, Necromancer, and Druid sound pretty nice.

I suppose we'll see the results when the Xpac is announced and/or is released.
05/31/2012 12:11 AMPosted by Troglodyte
It would be MUCH easier for Blizzard to design and balance something within the current 2 models.

I get what you're saying, but at some point they have to stop only doing what is easy and show some passion/determination to create something special. Or they could just keep doing what they're doing.
02/01/2013 08:24 AMPosted by dexxy
You do know about the Witch Doctor right?

I wouldn't call the witch doctor a true pet class. It has nowhere near the minion-manager feel that was achieved by the Necromancer in D2. Which has me hopeful that the Necro could still be in their plans. :)
alchemist- like one from fullmetal alchemist, preferably the flame alchemist since fire spells suck on the wizard, not a potion type one.

Samurai who could gain the power of a demon for a short amount of time. really want to use a katana but there doesn't seem to be any good ones in d3 or a class that would use one.
blzz told us tha tthe witch doctor was not to replace the necromancer thats why they made him diff so that if they wanted to bring back the necromancer they cold so that there would be room for a army class. thats what they told us.

this post was made in 8/5/08Although many "Diablo" fans have expressed fondness for the Necromancer from "Diablo II," lead "Diablo III" designer Jay Wilson confirmed to MTV Multiplayer that the character class will not appear in the initial release of the game. When the team was choosing which classes to include in the long-awaited sequel for Blizzard's best-selling action-RPG series, they decided to create a brand-new one -- the Witch Doctor. And with only five classes in the game, "Diablo III" just didn't have room for two curse-dealing, pet-wielding classes. Here's Blizzard's explanation for why the Witch Doctor replaced the Necromancer: "Our approach for classes in 'Diablo III' is that we don't have a strong desire to bring back classes from the previous game," Wilson told me. "The goal is to try and give people new gameplay and not just re-hash old gameplay. We're not just making a 'Diablo II' with updated 3D graphics." "The problem was, we looked at the class and didn't think that we could really make him a lot better," he explained. "We could add some new stuff to him but for the most part -- curses, corpse explosion, skeleton pets -- done. That's the class. We wanted to create new gameplay, so we chose to do the Witch Doctor as a different kind of class." Though the Witch Doctor will have similar abilities to the Necromancer, Wilson didn't want to "have to live by any Necromancer rules." One of the big differences between the two classes is how damage is actually dealt. "If [the Necromancer] dealt damage, it was through corpses laying around or through his pets," he said. "The Witch Doctor, his pets are a little more transient. If you watch the gameplay video, you really notice his pets come and go like crazy. There's a wall of zombies that go away fairly quickly or pets that just kind of blow up willy-nilly. That was intentional -- to try and make him different than the Necromancer." However, for those who are really passionate about the Necromancer, there's still hope to see the class in a "Diablo III" expansion. In fact, Wilson thought that expansions might be a great place to bring back any of the old classes not included, particularly since the team itself had passionate debates on the topic -- almost as much as the game's art direction. "There's a lot of people on our team who aren't happy with our class choices,” he admitted. "But after we've established 'Diablo III' as its own game with its own type of gameplay and experiences, I wouldn't be opposed to looking at old classes. We are trying to design [the Witch Doctor] class so that if we did bring back the Necromancer, there's room for him. We're looking out ahead of time at what our expansions are going to be, so we've got to keep room open for some of those other classes down the road." Wilson added, "It's one of those things where, unless we put like 30 classes in the game, people are going to be unhappy. But if we put 30 classes in the game, we'd hurt the game. I think that of the classes that we've chosen, there will be something for everyone. I'm not worried that people won't be able to find a class that they like to play.
necromancer druid paladin . i want those . then for the 2nd exp i want a half demon human class or full demon class . a half angel half human class or full angel class . engineer class.