Malthael, Covetous Shen, The Prophet ect.,...

Lore and Story
The Jewel you describe or "eye of Anu" was actually worldstone, and its destroyed. It was taken from Pandemonium by Inarius and used to create Sanctuary, and to take powers from nephalem.
i would like to ad something here greed is sorta like a sin its a lust for everything in life and you will do anything IF he was the lord of greed in theory he would be working for azmodan because greed is an aspect of sin
In DiabloWiki he is stated as an Ancient Nephalem like Zoltun Kulle or Bul'Kathos
Shen looks for this dirgest. which have the ability to consume others. I think Dirgest consumed Imperius, that is why i think diablo said in the cinematic wrath. . . "Perhaps you fear them seeing for who you truly are?"
And if shen were Malthael, he would not have a problem finding that jewel, since malthael is the archangel of wisdom or was. he knows everything.
- and now you might say, "why did he not know where sanctuary was when it was created?"
- He did know, he just did not want to tell the angiris council because he knew that if the worldstone would be destroyed, he could trap all the evils and he could finally end the war by himself.

Plus. . . in the new cinematic for the new expansion, tyrael's sword El'druin goes right through Malthaels, that is because. .

"El'druin, the Sword of Justice, was a blade wielded by the Archangel Tyrael. By all accounts it was a unique weapon, capable of cutting through any foe or substance in existence.
However, some believe that the blade's edge cannot pass through or harm any being of righteous intent"

and if i am right. . . Imperius took the leadership of the angriris council, which was Mathaels former rank. . . why Imperius sudently became leader i don't know? and why does imperius have a helmet on and not a robe? maybe he is hiding his true form as Dirgest?
Well Shen isn't Malthael, that was made clear a few days ago. Even at that, Malthael does not know everything. For example the Angles have no clue that Trag'Oul or the other old gods exists. Only Uldyssian was made aware of his existence.

I like the idea that DIrgest is an old god like Trag'Oul and Shen is actually Trag'Oul in disguise. Searching for the Dirgest gem (which is in actuality a worldstone) to use it to restore balance to Sanctuary.

Perhaps Malthael found this stone? Would be quite a good storyline in my opinion.
I admit, it would be a cool and clever twist is Malthiel is NOT the bad guy and he's trying to wrest the black soulstone away from those who would use it to evil ends (Tyrael?)

I don't see it happening that way, but it would be a clever twist. We spend the entire expansion chasing after Malthiel on Tyrael's orders and finally wrest the black soulstone away from him and return it to the Archangel of Wisdom who ultimately turns out to be polluted himself.

The irony!
The prophet is 100% Inarius, as he is referred to as "The Prophet" on even the D3 Wiki page :p

And Covetous Shen being the Demon Lord of Greed kinda is a bit of a stretch. He just really seems like a crazy old guy..

I admit, it would be a cool and clever twist is Malthiel is NOT the bad guy and he's trying to wrest the black soulstone away from those who would use it to evil ends (Tyrael?)

I don't see it happening that way, but it would be a clever twist. We spend the entire expansion chasing after Malthiel on Tyrael's orders and finally wrest the black soulstone away from him and return it to the Archangel of Wisdom who ultimately turns out to be polluted himself.

The irony!

Well, he kinda isn't bad, he only wants to kill the humans :p He wants to end the Eternal Conflict. Apparently, according to Tyrael's sword, that's a justifyable thing to do.

Other than that, Tyrael already had the Black Soulstone. Didn't you see the opening cinematic for RoS? :p He could've done anything with the Soulstone, but chose to hide it.

Also, that twist kinda happened like 2 times in D3 already, with Kulle and Adria..
09/03/2013 03:09 PMPosted by TomCii
The prophet is 100% Inarius
Impossible. Inarius had been trapped in Hell for about 1500 years before The Hand of the Prophet put its sisterhood in slumber.
09/03/2013 03:34 PMPosted by Chris
The prophet is 100% Inarius
Impossible. Inarius had been trapped in Hell for about 1500 years before The Hand of the Prophet put its sisterhood in slumber.

Then its Lilith
09/03/2013 07:46 PMPosted by Calnor

Then its Lilith
Unlikely. Ithereal and Eirena came to the conclusion that The Prophet is/was an angel.
09/03/2013 03:09 PMPosted by TomCii
The prophet is 100% Inarius, as he is referred to as "The Prophet" on even the D3 Wiki page :p

Inarius has somewhat been ruled out by the timelines not coinciding, unless he somehow escaped his imprisonment in Hell which although possible is highly unlikely.

I'm actually convinced that the Prophet is an as of yet unnamed Angel. One we will probably see in Reaper of Souls based on the devs saying the followers will all receive sidequests.
Wait. We forgot one Archangel. Hadriel. The one guy. That no one looked at and could project a fake copy of himself. Into hell. Just because. Hadriel is the prophet guys! Game over.
Shen is The Director.

The lord of all the goblins is The Goblin King who lives in a very, very grand and tall tower. The highest tower on Sanctuary in fact. Some say it goes to outer space. o_0
Hi everybody, I have just been daydreaming and thinking about some of the characters backstories to them and this is just my theories behind them, let me know what you think, or if it has already been explained fully and I just missed it. There may be spoilers so if you don't want to encounter any then don't read past this point. (haha, get it...point....)

----------------

Malthael, Archangel of Wisdom - Archangel of Death

Okay so everyone who follows the story has probably already found out that Malthael has abandoned his post as the Archangel of Wisdom because he was unable to comprehend the destruction of the worldstone. Tyrael suggests that he is wondering Pandemonium in search of answers to the things that plague him.

To me, I am kind of thinking that Malthael is the Prophet that the enchantress talks about. My reasoning behind this belief is that going through the Enchantress' story throughout the game, you eventually learn that her master, The Prophet, was actually an angel. She says that the letter from the dying angel saw promise in humanity, and worked in absolute secrecy. Itherael was unable to look into his scroll and see his fate, and so he knew nothing of him.

If Malthael was the Archangel of Death, then that means he would have to ability to phase in and out of different times in history, just like how the enchantress was sent into the future. Also, maybe it is possible Itherael was unable to find out who the Prophet was because Death is itself, and thus has no predetermined fate to head towards, and Itherael was always so aloof, being drowned in the Fate of everything that he never really noticed anything.

Perhaps Malthael went back in time before the worldstone was destroyed in an attempt to restore the balance he felt was disrupted when the Worldstone was destroyed, and trained a group of young magically gifted young girls who showed potential in slaying demons to go into the future, when balance is completely out of order and in the favor of Hell, to help the hero restore what he feels is missing since the destruction of the Worldstone. That's just my theory on Malthael anyways.

Covetous Shen -
Everyone knows going through Covetous Shen's story that the main character is almost entirely convinced that he actually is a God like people believed him to be. Some people feel that Covetous Shen is actually an Archangel, some even go so far as saying he is actually Malthael in disguise. I have my own theory however on Covetous Shen's true identity, although you guys might find it bit of a stretch.

I think Covetous Shen is actually the Demon God of Greed. I think all the Treasure Goblins found throughout the game work for Covetous Shen, helping him to search for that mysterious gem he has been looking for, for so long.

I say he is the demon lord of greed and I know quite a few will find it farfetched but it has been made clear that not all demons and angels are "for the cause" so to speak. If there is a Lord of Greed, then he would be in love with shiny, precious objects, like gems, and he would covet them accordingly.

Perhaps this is why he is not worried about wondering through places infested with demons? His attitude and personality seem to point towards this end, for me at least. Also, his dialog with his guide, Gaven when you first rescue him and find the object he is looking for seems like he could care less about life, as long as he obtains items.

---------------------
This is all just my two cents at least. Let me know what you guys think.

TL;DR

Archangel of Wisdom/Death Malthael I belive is the Prophet from the Enchantress story.

I believe Covetous Shen to be the Demon Lord of Greed.

Nice theory. But I think the prophet is actually Inarius. The archangel who created sanctuary and with Lilith, gave birth to the naphelems. Here -- http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius -- Inarius' title is "The Prophet".

------------

Covetous Shen is not the lord of greed. Dirgest is. And Covetous Shen is after Dirgest.
I just don't see it even though it is a cool theory.

All the lore and story points to Shen being Zei. Even Dirgest's monsters ask him if he's Zei. Same with Liria, who asks if he's Zei. Although Shen downplays that, he then says its good to see her face again.
The prophet was a random angel. The Enchantress says as much in act 4. He died. Shen is likely Zei though
05/18/2014 05:23 AMPosted by Fangsnap
I just don't see it even though it is a cool theory.

All the lore and story points to Shen being Zei. Even Dirgest's monsters ask him if he's Zei. Same with Liria, who asks if he's Zei. Although Shen downplays that, he then says its good to see her face again.

Who is Zei? That's still the question. NPCs claim Zei is a God. We know that there is no Gods. The only God was anu. So who or what is Zei really?
check the coventous shen story, it explains who Zei is. It still doesn't say who Shen is though :P