Armor and resistances

General Discussion
Im confused atm about armor and resistance, as people have been telling me resistance is a must for inferno, being in act 3 and having a really big problem surviving ive been buying resistance gear from ah, and today when i checked my stats i got really confused of how it works and if resistance and armor is completely useless in inferno.

Armor and resistance says that it will reduce the damage from monsters the same level as yourself.
As i recall Blizzard said that inferno foes will always be higher level than you (61-65)
So does those stats actually work?
bump
bump
Im confused atm about armor and resistance, as people have been telling me resistance is a must for inferno, being in act 3 and having a really big problem surviving ive been buying resistance gear from ah, and today when i checked my stats i got really confused of how it works and if resistance and armor is completely useless in inferno.

Armor and resistance says that it will reduce the damage from monsters the same level as yourself.
As i recall Blizzard said that inferno foes will always be higher level than you (61-65)
So does those stats actually work?

THey don't only work but they're absolutely required (unless you're a DH/Wiz, then you get a choice of playing normally, getting resists--- or to go max damage, kite everything and get 1-shotted every now and then)

Tooltips are obviously not correct for dealing with inferno mobs, as it'll be less than listed. They absolutely do work though.
If it shows for example, 60% reduced, that means 60% reduced vs level 60 monsters

It's less vs higher level monsters (Don't know how the loss scales) and more vs lower level monsters
okay but some says it only works in act 1 inferno, that is incorrect then?
It works, but less so. This is part of the reason that I believe act 2/3 seems so much harder. Higher lvl enemies mean more reduction in your armor's effectiveness.
Resistance Formula:

Res/(5 * mLvl + Res)

Armor Formula:

Armor/(50 * mLvl + Armor)

Total Mitigation Formula:

1 - ((1 - Armor%) * (1 - Res%) * (1 - Passive%))

The Bottom Line:
Effective Health Formula:

HP/(1 - Total Mitigation)

Monster levels for Inferno are raised to 61 in Act 1, 62 in Act 2 and 63 in Acts 3 & 4.
There is also a very important stat: def against elite mobs

I found a very good explanation and bit of a guide for gearing up a barbarian for inferno, seems as if the author knows the mechanics quite well and basically it should work for other classes as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjhFivTNooQ

Another vid shows him as barb taking multiple rare packs at once.

(vid by Kripparrian)
What's exactly "passive"? And how does Diamond Skin or Energy Armor come into these formulas?

Thanks for the equations btw, very handy.
Yeah guys, sorry for bumping, but what's "passive"? I'm guessing it's some sort of passive ability but I don't seem to have any available that would fit... (I'm a wizard).

Also, I saw in a tooltip that Barbarians and Monks take 30% less damage - is there anything that other classes get in return?