The Unanswered Question

General Discussion
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 Next
melee class should use less ressistent gear than range class to survive, in multiplayer they can Protect range class in the longer times fights, thats the balance game style to follow, if melee wanna solo, they can solo but very slow sth like that, so make melee class wanna join the multiplay games to do what they do the best.
Monk typical only has a couple of attack spells with all other skills devoted to passive or active defense.

Fixed.
One thing that is just a point to make, I make glass cannon melee builds and I death zerg champions down with them all the time.

My monk uses serenity with every other ability focused on maximum damage. My barbarian uses Ignore Pain with the 20% Life Steal rune along with Earth Quake, the 30% Damage Shout, and once again maximum damage skills to do the same. In non hardcore it is just as easy, actually easier for me to corpse zerg with melee. The barbarian and monk both just put a ton more on demand damage than my witch doctor does, not to mention that Spirit Walk is total crap compared to Serenity / Ignore Pain.
"Another adjustment being made is increasing both the maximum range and the dead zone of Mortar. Mortar was specifically designed to be an anti-range affix, but many ranged players would just stand even farther away, whereas melee would sometimes get caught in the cross-fire of two Mortars. Increasing the maximum range and the dead zone helps with both of these."

Wait, did I just see you saying you're BUFFING MORTARS?!?!? How's that gonna help anyone????
Repair Costs
One of the more controversial changes in 1.0.3 is the increased repair costs. The design intent of these increased repair costs is to make death more meaningful. One of the top arguments we see against the increased repair costs is "I'm already dying dozens of times to make any progress in Inferno. Don't you see this is going to make this impossible?" This concern is most often brought up by ranged glass cannons. Many melee players respond "increased repair costs seem fine" because they haven't been using death-zerging as a tactic. Melee can't easily death-zerg an enemy down, but ranged can. I don't think the answer is to make death-zerging more attractive for melee; I'd rather make death-zerging a less profitable strategy for ranged.

I play a DH and I am in Nightmare mode to get to the point I die a lot I m not a super player and to me this feels like your punishing a class that the mechanics are different. If this goes through I will be forced to stop playing because all the enjoyment of this game will collapse and I will quiit, and yeah I know my voice don't count because if I quit you don't care..

tl;dr : QQ i suck

Did I hit it right?

Part of glass-cannoning is the kiting part, if you can't kite, your deaths are going to happen more often than naught. -Derp, play a bulky class that doesn't require kiting or getting one !@#$, or just build more allres, avoid smokescreen and go the Shadow Power path.

DH is not ONLY viable for glass cannoning, he can use a shield, stun effects, have high dodge chance, and over 70% lifeleech
Put a nasty stormshield on him with 800allres, 35% dodge chance and only 3k armor maybe, he'll be able to tank those 6-8 hits from small guys that allows him to just sit and tank with only 20-30k dps.
06/07/2012 11:28 PMPosted by Lylirra
Well, you guys did an absolutely horrible job, this is one of the most annoying to play boring games that has been released this decade. And for a diablo game, it's a pathetic joke.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And that's okay. If you have negative feedback, though, please try to be more specific about what it is that you don't like, and (most importantly) why. Simply stating "YOU SUCK BLIZZARD" doesn't really explain to us what you're unhappy with, and it gives us little to no insight into what it is that you actually want.

Even if we ultimately happen to disagree with you, your voice is important and we'll listen to what you have to say. But as I mentioned earlier: "Constructive discussion, good. Mean finger-pointing, bad." It's easier for us to give consideration to ideas and concerns that we're able to fully understand.

Any chance you're single? I got a little hot when you quoted The Dude.
Mark my words, the repair costs will end up hurting melee more!

You don't take durability damage only when you die, you also lose durability when you get hit, and melee get hit way more than ranged ever do.

Even if they don't die, melee will be faced with insane repair costs after the patch, just from tanking monster damage all the time.

Too true; raising repair costs will hurt melee more than range.
I"m glad that blizzard is actually looking in to this normally when i pick up a class based game i feel nothing but no love for the melee class (and i love bing in the thick of things , not a runner) the fixes that i see going aren't really making it easier just letting the player who are more aware and want to navigate the battlefield while not really running away can do this better. I am very grateful for what ever your willing to do for the people in the middle of the fight. thank you once again, and no matter what I'll make it work.
wow, acknowledged and responded to? great job blizz. keep it up.
Buff ranged damage mitigation to melee class lvls and nerf their damage down to melee lvls.

Do nothing to the mobs, other than some AI tweaks to ensure equal targeting.

But considering pandora's box has been opened and access to end game content and drops appears largely to be skewed towards ranged, the sense of inequality will be nigh impossible to shake.

Solution?

Once some semblance of balance is reached, start ladder.
Maybe its just me but, I'm playing barbarian, and I'm absolutely ok in farming act 1 (just wait for 103 to lessen the act 2 rare damages). At first i felt like it was unfair, as i saw how my brothers (they play wizard and DH) farm easily in act 1, but i saw them playing in a very tense condition in act 3 (most of the rares 1-hitted them, even his wizard with diamond skin just got like, 1 second to save his life). i'll just wait for the 103 and maybe, just maybe, i could also peacefully farm act 3, just like i did on act 1? (considering i had upgraded my gears). well i don't complain on the difficulty, though. inferno should be an end game, and i didnt expect my "end" game is coming soon =p

so how about you guys, are you enjoying your characters as i do? ^^
06/07/2012 04:42 PMPosted by Nova
As far as repair costs, for delicate classes there are UNAVOIDABLE deaths. Jailer+desecrate and teleport+firechain are some examples. There is NOTHING player skill wise you can do to avoid these which is already super frustrating. But making that frustrating, unavoidable death cost 5x as much will just add more frustration.
+10000
Yes there is a disparity, make IAS mean less....oh wait
to OP.

Maybe it's because melee classes can actually tank and ranged cannot...? Just throwing it out there.
06/07/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Lylirra
I don't think the answer is to make death-zerging more attractive for melee; I'd rather make death-zerging a less profitable strategy for ranged.

*Sigh*... As a barb...i could give two craps about whether or not 'death zerging' is a viable option for demon hunters... The idea that it could become a viable option for barbarians in tanking gear is LAUGHABLE by giving us a dps boost unless you're talkinga bout increasing our dmg by over 200%. As it stands...at 12k dps against rare affixes like invulnerable/fear/frozen/arcane/desecrate/etc we are running more than fighting anyway because the slightest tough by any of these things is so damaging to our life already that we can't take the chance...we need 1k resist, 9k+ armor, and all defense cd's to survive these mobs unless you're in the best gear in the game (see Pharmosh).

Bottom line for me is that I'm tired of having CRAP dps to be able to take any of the hits...yes...I know that there are some inferno dmg/hp of mobs nerfs coming in 1.03....but I have always HATED the idea of nerf'ing the game rather than buffing the players.

I'm tired of being a meat shield for DH or Wizards....Barbarians are supposed to be the DEFINITION of high dmg solo'ers (SEE DIABLO 2 AND HOW IT WAS AWESOME PLZ).

Melee DOES need a damage increase, no it will not create 'death zerging' tactics for anyone who actually wants to PLAY the game .... addtionally, in the same answer as the quoted section above, death zerging is being addressed by making it less profitable....so who cares if you make 'death zerging' more available numbers wise to melee....all you're really doing is creating more options for players.

Options = fun....funneling players into having to play only as intended = not as much fun.

As a barb...I just want to be able to get into the thick of it, not worry as much about being one-shotted, but STILL be able to do respectable damage compared to a demon hunter or wizard.

Let the death zergers zerg if they want...stop focusing on how to make the game less fun for some people and focus more on making it MORE FUN for the MAJORITY.
They do realize that melee characters have more repair costs then ranged character right???? They are constantly being attacked while in melee range. Melee class specific items should have a lot more durability. Their moving repair costs to try and curve the kamikaze style play is just stupid.

If they just changed it that mobs reset health when all players die / leave the area than that would solve the kamikaze attacking. However, that would also make it impossible for someone a group and wear them down over time. It would be kill or have to repeat fighting a full health mob again.