Why is D1 so moody...?

Lore and Story

Even if you can get passed all that, from Act 1 on, it's blatantly thrown in your face that you are in fact, a Nephilum, and are for the first time ever in Diablo in game lore SUPPOSED to be stronger than the entirety of the forces of hell combined. You go from feeling like the tragic hero, against insurmountable odds, willing to sacrifice his/her life to even have the slightest chance of holding back the forces of hell (ala the Diablo 1 hero) to being an NBA superstar playing their 3 year old nephew in a game of basketball, trying not to laugh when they start acting all cocky after you let them finally score a goal... in 8 attempts.

In my opinion this is probably the biggest part of it. The concept of humans being vastly more powerful -- or firmly establishing the normal population has at least the potential to than all their antagonists -- is incompatible with the horror genre, and overall bad for a story. Especially if the only real limitations to someone obtaining the superpowers are extreme rarity and dire circumstances. The audience won't feel the hero or humanity is threatened at all, because it'll take just one demigod to stroll in and solve everything. Even if the hero somehow fails, you know another super-powered warrior will show up eventually and win.

Humans are also the only beings with free will, which serves to show how even more special they are. This was overkill and it really doesn't make sense, either. Wouldn't humans still be slaves to their nature of being good sometimes and evil other times? Is it that they only have free will in the sense Itherael couldn't predict their existence and he didn't have time to observe people?

Humanity's origins were actually a good idea, but once again it boiled down to poor execution. I would've liked to see that humans/nephalem are subject to the regulations and limitations of whatever realm they draw power from. The Angiris Council and the Prime Evils would then be trying to recruit people by loaning out power. That would've opened so many doors to stories and expansions.

A little off topic: D3's story could be somewhat creepy again if the writers expanded on the terrifying implications of the Balance. That could offer a decent expansion or two.
Your post isn't wrong and you make some excellent points, but..
05/16/2013 07:34 PMPosted by Epyon
D1... had no jokes....
Is wrong.

"Natalie Portman rocks!"
"Buy War[craft] II"
http://whatsayou.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/diablo_splash_hidden.jpg

"Yup... that's a cow all right"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVcSl6R-O5I

"Eat your vegetables and brush after every meal."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpWKan8L76Q

And although it doesn't count..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZK0a-b9EdM
Your post isn't wrong and you make some excellent points, but..
D1... had no jokes....
Is wrong.

"Natalie Portman rocks!"
"Buy War[craft] II"
http://whatsayou.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/diablo_splash_hidden.jpg

I installed my old Diablo and don't have such a screen. Seems like created in Photoshop. Btw. why should they mention Portman. Her first known appearance is Episode I and release of this was in 1999, release of Diablo 1 was in 1997.
05/22/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Bfler
I installed my old Diablo and don't have such a screen. Seems like created in Photoshop.
Nah. It's legit.

05/22/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Bfler
Btw. why should they mention Portman. Her first known appearance is Episode I and release of this was in 1999, release of Diablo 1 was in 1997.
Her first appearance was in "Developing" in 1994. It is likely that the devs came to love her from the movie "Léon: The Professional" (1994) or possibly "Mars Attacks!" (1996).
Diablo1 Butcher puts D3 one to shame. Cant believe they screwed Butcher up so bad. It went from a horrible terror to a cartoony joke.

:/

Butcher wasnt that scary.

Unless you were like...............8. Maybe 10.

Even if you can get passed all that, from Act 1 on, it's blatantly thrown in your face that you are in fact, a Nephilum, and are for the first time ever in Diablo in game lore SUPPOSED to be stronger than the entirety of the forces of hell combined. You go from feeling like the tragic hero, against insurmountable odds, willing to sacrifice his/her life to even have the slightest chance of holding back the forces of hell (ala the Diablo 1 hero) to being an NBA superstar playing their 3 year old nephew in a game of basketball, trying not to laugh when they start acting all cocky after you let them finally score a goal... in 8 attempts.

In my opinion this is probably the biggest part of it. The concept of humans being vastly more powerful -- or firmly establishing the normal population has at least the potential to than all their antagonists -- is incompatible with the horror genre, and overall bad for a story. Especially if the only real limitations to someone obtaining the superpowers are extreme rarity and dire circumstances. The audience won't feel the hero or humanity is threatened at all, because it'll take just one demigod to stroll in and solve everything. Even if the hero somehow fails, you know another super-powered warrior will show up eventually and win.

Humans are also the only beings with free will, which serves to show how even more special they are. This was overkill and it really doesn't make sense, either. Wouldn't humans still be slaves to their nature of being good sometimes and evil other times? Is it that they only have free will in the sense Itherael couldn't predict their existence and he didn't have time to observe people?

Humanity's origins were actually a good idea, but once again it boiled down to poor execution. I would've liked to see that humans/nephalem are subject to the regulations and limitations of whatever realm they draw power from. The Angiris Council and the Prime Evils would then be trying to recruit people by loaning out power. That would've opened so many doors to stories and expansions.

A little off topic: D3's story could be somewhat creepy again if the writers expanded on the terrifying implications of the Balance. That could offer a decent expansion or two.

Why should you give a !@#$ about what Demons or Angels think? Of course....they should be afraid of you. You've only become a

GOD OF WAR.

And now...........morality (and hubris?) can creep into the story.