Thanks blizzard

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
05/30/2012 06:48 PMPosted by zenyte
I'm sure I've been on gaming related sites, but none that I can recall that would be considered "shady" or out of the norm. I visit the Dota 2 blog, Facebook, Reddit, D3 forums and occasionally YouTube/Google for a quick guide like a farm spot. It's possible I clicked a link from Google that lead to a shady site, I suppose, but I have AVG Anti-virus that tells me if a site is "safe" or not and I wouldn't click anything that wasn't safe.

Unfortunately it doesn't take a 'shady' site to be infected. Some of the more high profile gaming sites have been infected in the past. It does suck, and I'm sorry for it. There's a very good reason why I'm so paranoid about which links I follow nowadays /everywhere/ I go. I swear I must be one of the pickiest people in my circle on Facebook nowadays. ;)
They are plenty professional. What, you can't have a sense of humor on the job? Get real.

Those taking offense from their posts, here's some tips:

1. Chill out.
2. Chill out.
3. Chill out.
I'm going to put my trust in the idea that we're all capable of having a conversation without throwing attacks back and forth.

Less yelling. More listening. On all sides.

I think this forum needs some sort of peace keeper position.. given out in the dozens... with privileges to delete useless inflammatory posts. Following this, a polite email to the offender on how to encourage a productive environment. They won't listen, so the next step is to ban them. One of the worst forum environments I've ever been part of.
I would stay and continue reading all the hate threads etc but I am going down the shops instead.

Who wants a cornetto?
I would stay and continue reading all the hate threads etc but I am going down the shops instead.

Who wants a cornetto?

Ooh! Me!

Also, you've got red on you.
05/30/2012 06:52 PMPosted by UncleN00b
Zarhym is totally right... and in bad form. Just because you are interacting with a populous of primarily immature-acting individuals, it is still reflected poorly on you (and therefore Blizzard) to respond with such a scornful tone. Regardless of the OP's choice of words, YOU are charged with being the professional here. Your patronizing response does nothing but validate "trollery". There's always a good way to handle a situation and a terrible way to handle a situation. Guess which one you picked?

Oh shut up. Stop crying. Take a break. Go outside. Get someone to read the forums for you so you're not so offended when you see something you dont like.

His job is actually to blend in with the community, not to act as a superior. Try not to slip on your tears on the way out.
Your patronizing response does nothing but validate "trollery".

Oh shut up. Stop crying. Take a break. Go outside. Get someone to read the forums for you so you're not so offended when you see something you dont like.

His job is actually to blend in with the community, not to act as a superior. Try not to slip on your tears on the way out.

See?
05/30/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Tianjan
It's much easier to blame Blizzard than to admit to one's self that something may have slipped past their defenses undetected. I had my moments of denial long ago when my WoW account was hacked. When my error was finally pointed out to me, I realized they were correct and I've since made sure it never happened again. Also got an authenticator.

If we're that bad at cyber security, why do they only hacks D3 account and not steal credit cards no.? I use availaible to me on the web and I've never had something stolen from me except on D3, while they could have checked me for so many more interesting thing....
05/30/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Solinvictus
It's much easier to blame Blizzard than to admit to one's self that something may have slipped past their defenses undetected. I had my moments of denial long ago when my WoW account was hacked. When my error was finally pointed out to me, I realized they were correct and I've since made sure it never happened again. Also got an authenticator.

If we're that bad at cyber security, why do they only hacks D3 account and not steal credit cards no.? I use availaible to me on the web and I've never had something stolen from me except on D3, while they could have checked me for so many more interesting thing....

For the same reason they only hacked WoW accounts for years. They're after gaming stuff, not the rest. Well no, some do. Most don't though, from what I've seen.
So, just to get this straight...The idea is that the mass hackings are a result of hackers who have been keeping these people's passwords for years?
05/30/2012 07:01 PMPosted by UncleN00b

See?

Just because someone tells you the truth doesn't mean they're trolling, likewise to something you dont want to hear.
05/30/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Encryption
I have a new computer. All I do on this computer is game programming and I have a few games that are compatible with 64bit. I work with computers.

The fact that you felt the need to mention that you are a programmer, and then reiterate that you work with computers... Makes me very much believe that is a load of sodding hogwash.

"I have a few games that are compatible with 64bit."? Seriously? What the bloody hell does that have to do with anything?

You have an odd concept of free.

If it were realy ''free'' it wouldnt be on phone but on computer it would be the first link and would not require a ''phone'' everything that an additional requirement then the machine to run the game cannot be considered free as it require additional material not needed to simply run the game and protect it on same machine.

But your phone isn't generally going to have keyloggers on it. Having that extra layer on the computer itself would be a bit silly, since it could just get infected somehow as well.

The way I see it :

>Having an authenticator on your PC is like having a sticky note of your password on your monitor -.-. Also, if your PC were to be compromised with a PC authenticator on your desktop (for easy access) then what difference would it make versus if you didn't even have one at all?

>Also, most people do have phones (non-land line of course) because of work/school/life related business. If you have one, you're probably going to have it with you where ever you go, right? Authenticator on phone, easy access, always have it with you, hopefully no key logger unless you were doing questionable things?

>Also, I'm pretty sure you can get your point across without constant offensive words
05/30/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Innoruuk
So, just to get this straight...The idea is that the mass hackings are a result of hackers who have been keeping these people's passwords for years?

Months or weeks most likely. Once they had a release date for D3 they probably went into overdrive in prepwork.

Edit: Well put, Arteyin.