No Signal display loss with GeForce GTX 295

Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
06/05/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Garagosh
This problem became so bad for me, I began losing the signal no matter what game I was playing, and ultimately it ended up frying my GPU... The damage from the heat did my card in, and my drivers shut down even when running Diablo 2. I just ordered the 560 Ti... Im not looking to fry a brand new $250 card because of a very elegant firmware/driver/programming issue. This issue is a bad one... My hair started going gray once I learned the game was unplayable entirely. Why did this have to happen? Why can't one change the past? *heroic musing pose* *creates time machine and tries to save the slain GPUs of D3*

Thankfully, heating doesn't seem to be the issue for me. The cards have had issues in the past with heat so I'm very careful to keep them clean. I'm guessing regular cleaning might have saved your card before it melted.

Played D3 for about a half hour this morning and experienced the same problem with the new/old drivers. Going to try SLI now.
Enabling SLI did two things:

1) it caused my frame rate to completely tank (the same problem I have in other games); and
2) upon entering the game all screens went black after only a minute or so resulting in a hard crash.

So the effect of enabling SLI was quite immediate and disastrous. I have disabled SLI again.
It's natural to assume that a fried GPU in this situation is the result of infrequent cleaning, but I did clean it weekly with a Q-tip and compressed air each Monday night after points reset. After rebooting over and over, ( I would guess close to 1000 times, that alone with 103°c was enough to kill my GPU.)
Grayclaw

I resent the email. Let me know what happens after you get to test the game some more.
If you can't find a solution to your issue, feel free to contact a Support Representative directly for further assistance. Their contact information can be found at the following link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

I'm available on the forums Monday through Friday from 11AM to 8PM Pacific Time
Got the mail this time!

I replied with the files you requested.

Unfortunately neither the different driver nor switching to SLI has fixed the issue (enabling SLI actually made things much worse.)

Ready to try some other suggestions!
Grayclaw

Lets run a stress test of the CPU to see if that shows us anything.

1. Download Prime 95 CPU Stress test from this link: http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html
2. Download the Real Temp monitoring tool from this link: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html
3. Launch Real Temp, see where the temperature is, and leave it running.
4. Launch Prime 95 and run the "Blend" test for a few hours

***Be sure to monitor the temp to ensure that the system doesn't overheat***
If you can't find a solution to your issue, feel free to contact a Support Representative directly for further assistance. Their contact information can be found at the following link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

Grayclaw

A couple of things I noticed while looking over your files:

1. Your sound driver is outdated. Here's a link where the new one can be downloaded: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

2. Your network card driver is also outdated. Here's a link for that update: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

3. Your files also show that you currently have Norton installed. Is that program an up to date version or is it expired?

OK updated the two outdated drivers. Norton is up to date. I have it set to auto-update so it runs regularly and the subscription automatically renews as well. Should have just gotten the new version a couple months ago (they charged my credit card so I better have!)

I have not yet tried the CPU test as I haven't had several hours to sit and watch it while not doing anything else on my computer (I'm assuming that it should be the only thing running?)
Grayclaw

Yea, Prime95 should be the only thing running.

You can also test the RAM, that one you can leave running without having to monitor it. I also recommend running the RAM test over night for a more accurate test.

I'd use Memtest86 Plus to test the RAM. You can find the download and the instructions on their site.

I have not yet run the CPU test primarily because I use my computer all the time. I do not have any other problems with other programs except DIII. I find it hard to believe that it would be a CPU issue when I do not have any trouble with other graphic intensive programs and games such as WoW, SWTOR, Skyrim, Rift, Maya, etc. I did try going to the website for the RAM test you linked, but I couldn't figure out exactly what I was supposed to download.

Honestly, I think there is some sort of registry conflict with Diablo and my video drivers. I realize that is probably going to be nearly impossible to track down. After I do some back up I may try doing some registry cleaning. I do not want to have to reformat my drive, but at this point the game is unplayable. I hard crash sometimes after only 15 minutes of gameplay and the constant force restarting of my machine CANNOT be good.

Until there is something to try that seems to actually relate to the fact that I'm having VIDEO problems, I cannot play a game I paid $100 for (got the collector's edition.)
been closely following this thread. have the same issue with my gtx 295. i have tried all the mentioned solutions in this forum with no luck. the crashes are coming much faster now even though i returned all settings to default. please continue the support for this issue.
thanks.

Ps: could it be a power supply issue? and if so how can i check to make sure its not ?

i only say this because it seems that the graphic card seem to shut down completely with black screen. and only hard restart brings it back up.
been closely following this thread. have the same issue with my gtx 295. i have tried all the mentioned solutions in this forum with no luck. the crashes are coming much faster now even though i returned all settings to default. please continue the support for this issue.
thanks.

Ps: could it be a power supply issue? and if so how can i check to make sure its not ?

i only say this because it seems that the graphic card seem to shut down completely with black screen. and only hard restart brings it back up.

Dooms,

The reason I still think this is somehow related to the drivers is because we do get the loss of signal. When I was doing some other research just to see what causes that message in windows in general, all the solutions pointed to an incompatible driver or incorrectly loaded driver. In addition when the problem happens the sound also craps out after about 5 seconds, which is another indication of driver failure (although this time with the sound driver.)

Since I have the latest version/most stable version of both drivers I'm now suspicious of my registry. As my next step I'm going to make a full registry backup and see if I can do a clean. Another blizzard tech I know suggested ccleaner, so I will be taking a look at that this weekend.

But Yes I agree... it seems that the problem is becoming more frequent and I am very reluctant to play the game and keep putting my machine through these repeated forced shutdowns.
Grayclaw

I agree with your thought that it's most likely not the CPU causing this, but seeing how we just about tested everything else, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. However, these are all just suggestions, you don't have to try them.

Checking the registry wouldn't hurt either, but if that doesn't help, I would say it's time to start swapping out parts to ensure the issue is not hardware related. If possible, I would try to temporarily borrow a video card from a friend or family member to test on your system.

If the issue still persists with the new card, I'd look at the power supply. You said this mainly happens when there is more going on in the game. This means that as the card is trying to draw more power from the supply, the supply might not be able to handle it, which then leads to the "No signal" issue. This could also explain why the performance worsened with SLI enabled.

If you get the chance, open up the case and let me know your power supply's brand, model number, max watts, and the amps for the +12 volt rail.

You can find all that information on a sticker located on the side of the power supply itself, usually the side facing out. Also, when looking at the rating of the +12 volt rail, see if there are two +12 volt ratings. If there are two, I'll need the rating for both.

Ok, here is the latest. Had some time this evening to set a restore point, backup my registry and do a clean. I used ccleaner and let it remove everything it flagged as a problem in my registry. I then restarted my machine and tested D3.

While the problem had a slightly different behavior (I got some colored streaks/noise on the screen before it went black and reported No Signal) ultimately it still hard crashed the machine. I did hear the game sounds for a little bit longer afterwards (so I heard my untimely death scream). However, I still had to force restart.

I tried then swapping my primary monitor to the other card (I have two cards, each with two GPUs). I got the same result as before, after only a few minutes of play (no colored noise this time though.)

I also tried only running on one monitor. Same result.

My power supply is pretty beefy and was one of the top rated supplies when I had the machine built 2 years ago. It is a Chieftec CFT-1200-DF. It has two ratings for +12V, 20A and 25A. It also has a -12V at 0.8A. Max load is 1200W. I sure hope D3 doesn't need to pull more than that.... o.O

Unfortunately I don't have any way to try this with another make or model of card. My bf's computer is a laptop and my brother (who lives nearby) runs Macs. How ironic that both of those machines run D3 better than my computer that was built expressly for gaming....
So, now the problem is also happening in WoW. I had a raid tonight with some friends and had to leave partway through asking them to replace me when I could not run the game for more than 2 minutes without crashing with the same black screen/No Signal issue.

I have NEVER had any trouble running WoW prior to this. Only since the problem began repeatedly occurring in D3.

I was playing SWTOR for hours this afternoon with no issues.

I checked over at the Nvidia forums... people have been having this problem with the GTX 295 (and a few other) cards since the beta. It is particular to D3 and WoW. SOMETHING is not compatible.
Having the exact same issue with my GTX 295 SLI. This just started happening 2 days ago. The crash has been happening with old and brand new driver.

Spent all day trying different configurations of turning SLI on and off, lowering my graphic settings in the game, cleaned my system, updated drivers and played other graphic intensive games. I have also run other graphic intensive programs such as Photoshop with no problems with an overheating GPU. I also switched out monitors.

The crash only happens in WOW and D3. It also seems to be getting worse where I can barely change resolutions in the options menu before it crashes.

I agree with the previous post. This is specific to WOW and D3. Dont waste your time with fake overheating GPU fixes. Just a compatibility glitch.
Further update: was able to get the crash to occur in SWTOR last night (which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.) Something has become severely damaged with my system/drivers at this point.

I did run the memtest utility all night. 10 passes, no errors.

I am going to do a full hard drive backup today and run a hard drive test utility from Hitachi (http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads/) just to make sure that the issue is not the physical drive.

At this point I can only assume that D3 opened a Hell Rift in my computer. The corruption is spreading. I will probably have to smash the Worldstone.
I orginally had the problem begin with Dota 2, but it has gotten MUCH worse with D3. I have a GeForce 285, and never had problems until recently.

I feel as though it is my Power Supply because of the loss in power to monitor and everything, but with the same line of Gfx cards doing this, it is hard to believe. I will monitor this thread until then and give any updates that i can find while testing various portions of hardware/drivers. If a solution is found though, PLEASE post it here.
I wasn't able to test the hard drive... the utility I got didn't seem to know what sort of drive it was. So. We are going to more drastic measures.

Drive reformat and re-installation of Windows 7. Going to try this with a clean install and see what happens.
I too have been having problems playing D3. Running an older Nvidia 8800GS card but it is well within the game requirements. Problems got really bad after this last patch 1.0.2b. Game will only run for a few minutes before video driver starts crashing repeatedly and finally entire machine just freezes up. I've tried updating drivers, cleaning the card, monitoring temps ect ect. Highest it gets is like 55 C. SWTOR and WoW work just fine. Problem seems confined to D3. :(