Wanting to get a new computer for PC games...

Games & Technology
I'm wanting to get back into PC gaming, and the computer I currently have won't be able to handle D3. I'm an employee at Target and was wondering if any of the computers we sell online would be good at running D3 and/or other games, so I could use my discounts! If not, what sort of computer should I be looking at? I don't know much about PC hardware, so I'm trusting you guys. 'Cause I know the booklet says "Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz..." and whatnot for recommended system reqs, but how do I compare? The only place that sells computers around here is Staples, and they only say "I5 - 2120" or such.
No, none of them will be.

This PC build guide might be on a long side, but if you read through it, you will be very well educated in what makes a great gaming PC:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4850585139
So if I wanted to go ahead and make a decent investment that will last me for awhile and handle most newer games and games in the immediate future fairly well, I could do this? Does it require much knowledge to build your own computer, or just a bit of "Well, this part goes in this spot"? I know almost nothing, but I'm a quick learner if I need to learn anything, I just didn't know where to start. Thank you

CPU: i5-2300 / i5 -3450
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX / biostar b75MU3+
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600, 1.5v)
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670 or above, but recommending to stay with GTX 670
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W or above if wanted
SSD: 120GB Intel 520 or above if wanted
Hard Drive: 1TB or above if wanted
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD Burner
Case: HAF 912 or above if wanted
It's more or less "this part goes in this spot". There are also many DIY video demonstrations on youtube.

I've also see many "first time builders" build successfully with minimal to no questions asked to me what to do about certain things.

If you actually bought the overkill build I listed, you can literally run any and all current games out there at max settings and maintain high FPS, and will remain that way for a long time.
Yeah. I'd like to go ahead and spend maybe $1000 now and keep the system for several years, instead of spending $500 and having to replace it twice as often. Is the high-end hardware a longer term investment, or will I have to end up replacing this stuff at relatively the same frequency? Also, I love how quick your responses are.
High-end hardware is indeed a longer term investment, but depending on the games you play at what detail, it might not be a wise investment.

For example, if you aren't ever going to play a demanding 3D games like Battlefield 3, a GTX 670 is wasted. A $170 Radeon HD 6870 / GeForce GTX 560 would be more than sufficient for years and years to come.

Same with the CPU: If you don't care about OC, you don't have to spend so much on a CPU/motherboard. An i5-2300 (or i5-3450) with a Biostar B75MU3+ will serve you just as well as any other expensive motherboard would.
I'm thinking about getting back into gaming and computers quite a bit more, especially considering my career choice. I'm looking to work with computers for the Air Force, and I want to be more exposed to them in general, not just on the job. So I will take your advice, and go with the higher quality stuff you listed. No, I doubt I will be interested in OC, since I'm essentially knew to all this.

One last question, now that I've decided on what I'm getting. The different brands on Newegg seem to have different capabilities. When I search for "GTX 560" I get several results. Slightly different pricing, slightly different stats like core and shader clock speeds. 850 MHz versus 880, for example. Will that make much difference? I'd rather pay the $10 dollars or so extra if it will, but if I'll never know the difference...
Not much. You can do that much OC on 850MHz version anyway
Well, I imagine I'm all set to go! Here's to hoping I don't break anything once it gets here. :D Thanks.