Auction House bots?

General Discussion
I was attempting to bid on a good deal in the AH when in the final two minutes, I could not get a bid in. Every time I bid, it said the amount was too low and all of a sudden the winning bid was what I had just attempted to bid, but it was not mine. I then started entering arbitrary number into the bid window, and what do you know, the winning was the same, but it wasn't my bid.

What going on here?
Not even trying to win, just trying to bid and getting the same problem. can't even get a bid in on the item to keep an eye on it until it's closer to auction end. This blows.
That's not a bot. That's how the bidding system works. You bid under the winning bidder's maximum bid, and the system automatically outbid you.

Did you not read the FAQ at all before using the Auction House?
That is because when you bid you can bid more than the step value.

Example:

I see an item I want on the AH. It's got a bid of 1000g, buyout of 100,000g and a step value of 2000 gold.

So to bid, with a 2000g step value I would need to bid 3000g on the item. I really want this item though and I am willing to pay much more than 3000g, but less than 100,000g. So my max bid is 30,000g. Once I enter 30,000g as my bid, the system shows 3,000g because that was all I NEEDED to bid to be winning.

If someone bids against me by entering a bid of 5000g, my bid would automatically increment to 7,000g. That blocks the other player from winning until they bid over my top bid of 30,000g.

So it's not bots - it's the way online auctions work. When you bid on an item, bid the most you are willing to spend for it.
i have to agree with Zenitram that sometimes its very odd... the same item can be sitting in the auction house for 12 hours with no one bidding at a lowly price of 5000g...

once i bid, it's too low... someone else beat me to it...

ok... i raise it 5k... someone else beat me to that by a small margin... And it's instant... within milliseconds someone beat me? 5-6 times in a row? when I live in Hong Kong playing at 5pm (which equals 5am EST)?

and repeat... until i realized i bid 50k for what was a 5k item, after 10 tries and my mysterious competitor dissappears... very odd...
This particular problem doesn't sound like a bot. That said there are a good deal of ah bots out there. Though they did get a few of them last week. I believe that is the cause for the slow week some are complaining of on the ah.
fking flippers. i was going to buy this glove and this guy out bid me in the last second. mintues later that same glove was in ah for three times the price. i hate thisss!! i want to play the game not this ebay !@#$tt!
saw a pritty good ring on ah for 45k with 10m left. so i put down a bid 300k and it got outbid in seconds lol :P looks like alot of people are snipeing the auctions in the last seconds
07/17/2012 03:31 AMPosted by AmazingFool
fking flippers. i was going to buy this glove and this guy out bid me in the last second. mintues later that same glove was in ah for three times the price. i hate thisss!! i want to play the game not this ebay !@#$tt!

saw a pritty good ring on ah for 45k with 10m left. so i put down a bid 300k and it got outbid in seconds lol :P looks like alot of people are snipeing the auctions in the last seconds

Most likely automated bots in these cases.
happened to me lately.
i bid on a bracer for 250k. i am the winning bid. it was also sitting in ah for the entire time. no one else bid on that item. on the final 2 minutes, i was just looking at it on my auction tab and waiting for the time to finish.
Then when it hit <1m suddenly someone outbid me.
I instantly bid on it but it wont accept my gold and says it already expired.
There was atleast 50 seconds left for me to bid but it just wont accept.