HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

Technical Support
Prev 1 18 19 20 28 Next
08/04/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Zakaren
So i did this but now the game lauches but the play button doesn't light up. what did i do wrong?

same issue here :( I go into the data_d3 folder and I am unable to access it. "not responding"
So any general easy solution to these stutter problems? I also stutter very often when walking so the background moves.

Honestly I don't realy feel to do computer scientist research to solve problems like this. Patch fix please or whatever.
Hey guys I have made two batch scripts so that you don't have to play with command line each time. Not sure if the RAM drive solves the suttering completly.
Please read the howto in the file :P
Save these pastes as mount.bat, unmount.bat
http://pastebin.com/71dxkMSr
http://pastebin.com/SxsU0svy
I've searched through pages and pages of threads without any luck. Would someone be kind enough to answer a question for me?

I did this MPQ to USB flash drive fix maybe 4-5 weeks ago, worked perfect at the time....haven't been back on in a long time until I saw the security issues for battle.net. I've just updated to latest patch(probably missed a few in between). Do I need to update my flash drive with a new MPQ every time an update comes out? I've ran it just now and it seems to be running exactly as I remember....buttery smooth when loading the map with only an occasional hitch when loading new enemies. Subsequent "familiar" enemy loads are smooth with no stutter.

Basically....am I good to go or do I need to delete MPQ shortcut, reinstall the 7+ gig MPQ to flash drive and reenter command prompt stuff? Thanks.
I think I am about to just uninstall this game lol... it stutters beyond belief for me. I even have a SSD drive which has much faster speed than any thumdrive using ramdisk would have. It has a 240MB/sec transfer speed & a .1ms access time. How much faster does this freaking game need? I have a nVidia GTX 560 Ti & a Intel i7 920 /w 6GB of DDR3 ram... this kind of stuttering just shouldn't be happening on my machine and is unacceptable to me.
Still happening, hoping patch 1.04 fixes something, although nothing in patch notes about this issue...
yeah im very disappointed in there being no performance fixes with 1.04 not even a fixed some performance issues as seen in earlier patches. which granted didnt do anything to fix anything but still. at least u knew there was a knowledge of it at the home office. now it seems they dont give a crap about performance issues at all
yesterday i moved the diablo 3 folder from the ssd to a normal hard disk and i have the same problem!!! wtf is this .. atleast i dont have it on ssd....
After 1.04 still stutters. Easiest and best working improvement:
1. set everything to default (in windows, nvidia, d3prefs - also remove read only if it's checked in the .txt props etc.)
2. start the game and set everything to default in game as well
3. push ctrl+r to see ur fps (if the fps is constantly changing, drops and jumps, then you most probably have a wonderful stuttering issue)
4. in video settings slide the foreground fps until the fps remains still, meaning it is not changing at all!! (I set it from 60 to 70 something and the fps is constant 50, so you are to find a range between 15 and 200 where the fps remains unchanged - maybe it is also important that it has to be 50 fps, but perhaps some other number works better for you) - check and slide the background fps to the same number
5. check verical sync
6. apply/accept
It is still not a Path of Exile as for the performance, but is quite enjoyable, worked for me at least. GL

edit: WARNING: if you restart the game the range on the max foreground fps slide where your fps remains fix may change and verical sync is sometimes unnecessary, so always before you beging playing after a restart, recheck the settings if they are still keeping the fps still, because you may experience severe stutter again (now mine is set to 52 and vsync is off and the game works almost fine).
And I would stress that it is still not like PATH OF EXILE, so no miracles but some improvement achieved easily. It is, of course, not the way the game should work and is still to be fixed. But now my performance is so good that I was brave enough to launch a hardcore character and that was impossible before with the performance prior to the current one.
Thank you so much Pgar08, your solution worked wonderful for me
OP solves my stuttering issues. Thanks!
The solution worked for me Edstroyer!

I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB SDHC (95 / 90MB/s version) card and copied my entire diablo folder (from program files) over to the SD card. I renamed my original diablo folder to diablo_org and ran the diablo.exe file from the SD card.

Since im using a Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010, boot camped with Win7 64bit I have all my settings to low, with Vsync and AA turned off ingame, and on in the Nvidia control panel. My FPS was pretty much stable between 27-29 FPS, with some drops to ~20FPS with extremely large mobs (tree players = laaarge mobs). In contradiction to FPS between 20-26 just walking, and 5-15 when encountering mobs, with major-stuttering.

I played for four hours yesterday with a friend, and this is a major improvement. The game is snappier / more responsive, the major-stuttering issue is nearly all gone and its actually fun to play again!
While this theoretically makes perfect sense it DOES NOT mean you can buy a cheap USB drive with sub par read speeds and expect a miracle.

Luckily for me my Corsair Force GT SSD performs flawlessly so I don't experience anymore stuttering.
Instead of using the sd card for those of us that dont have one, is it possible to use the secondary hard drive

how do you do that if you dont have a sd card can you use another HDD implace of a sd card
bump
While this theoretically makes perfect sense it DOES NOT mean you can buy a cheap USB drive with sub par read speeds and expect a miracle.

Luckily for me my Corsair Force GT SSD performs flawlessly so I don't experience anymore stuttering.

yea i dont have a spare usb drive, gonna have to wait til my next payday i guess, so i tried to install it to to my sdcard, and i think its too slow. it took probably about 2 hours for the MPQ files to transfer to the sdcard and then when it finally finished, for some reason it would not allow me to create the symbolic link and i had admin access, so i just gave up. gonna need a fast usb drive.
The solution worked for me Edstroyer!

I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB SDHC (95 / 90MB/s version) card and copied my entire diablo folder (from program files) over to the SD card. I renamed my original diablo folder to diablo_org and ran the diablo.exe file from the SD card.

Since im using a Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010, boot camped with Win7 64bit I have all my settings to low, with Vsync and AA turned off ingame, and on in the Nvidia control panel. My FPS was pretty much stable between 27-29 FPS, with some drops to ~20FPS with extremely large mobs (tree players = laaarge mobs). In contradiction to FPS between 20-26 just walking, and 5-15 when encountering mobs, with major-stuttering.

I played for four hours yesterday with a friend, and this is a major improvement. The game is snappier / more responsive, the major-stuttering issue is nearly all gone and its actually fun to play again!

thx for giving out the model. gonna go get me one of those. lol might get one for my friend too because he's having the same problem.