WoW MVPs should NOT be MVPs on D3 Forums

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 17 Next
Blizzard has already answered this.

Q. Why aren't MVPs distinguished by the forum they post in most frequently, or the Blizzard game they play most?

A. We request that all MVPs post only where they feel comfortable. With that said, a Battle.net account flagged by Blizzard with MVP status will display as such across all forums, and on all of our new Battle.net community websites. An MVP should therefore be considered a valuable contributor to the community wherever he or she is posting.

In my view, mvps are around mostly to provide greater visibility to statements blizzard has already made so blizzard doesn't have to repeat themselves, including (all too frequently) reminding people of the rules that they should already be aware of.

In an opinion oriented discussion, their opinion holds no more weight than anyone elses, unless blizzard has made specific statements relevant to the topic at hand. That said, their account is battle.net flagged, which is going to mean they are mvps anywhere on battle.net that they feel comfortable contributing.

That's not just true of wow mvps, but true of whatever game their mvp status was originally otained on.
i thought mvps were chosen because of there knowledge of the game, writing guides etc, so wouldnt it make sense to promote someone the same way on these forums?

i mean it is early days and i have mixed emotions for this topic, because the mvps seem to be very nice and insightfull people but i dont think they have any credentials on these forums like they would on the wow forums.

in all fairness dont u think mvps for this forum should be chosen for writing guides, been good players and insightful in THIS game?

just makes sense, but im not trying to be rude. :) different game, different mvps. purely because they havnt done nething to earn the status mvp on these forums
06/11/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Snacks
Blizzard should have different groups of MVPs for each forum board. Not the same ones from WoW on every board.

MVPs are not chosen because they're hardcore or elitist. Besides, in our eyes everyone is on pretty equal clout footing here. It doesn't matter whether you still eat, sleep, and breathe Diablo II: LoD or if you're the best StarCraft II player in the world -- you've owned Diablo III no longer than most other players on these forums and can't claim you have a better say in which posters are most valuable to the entire community.

And no matter how many people might reply to me saying otherwise, MVPs aren't chosen based on their ability to agree with any decision Blizzard makes either. They're Blizzard gamers who are very familiar with our forums and our rules, and they enjoy talking about Blizzard games with their peers.

The MVP flag is also designated to an entire Battle.net account, so we're not going to tell someone who was chosen for MVP based on posts on the World of Warcraft forums that they're not allowed to post about StarCraft II or Diablo III.

This is all explained here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716

That said, we're looking to select more players as MVPs and intend to pick them directly from the Diablo III forums. We haven't done this yet since the game is still very new. Until then, you can expect to see MVPs on these forums who originally came from the StarCraft II or World of Warcraft forums.
i thought mvps were chosen because of there knowledge of the game, writing guides etc, so wouldnt it make sense to promote someone the same way on these forums?

You were mistaken.

Q. Why didn't you select _____, someone who always gives great constructive feedback on X subject?

A. Please understand that MVPs are not class/race or community representatives in that sense; they are not chosen for their ability to criticize game mechanics and give feedback. They certainly can do this (and many do). The members of the Community Team are still your vehicles through which you should submit feedback by posting on the forums and in blog comments. We do not have a class/race representative system in place at this time and would prefer to hear all players' feedback instead of a select few.

This is the function of the mvp program:

Q. Why was the MVP Program created?

A. In many cases, the answers to questions posed on the forums have already been provided by Blizzard Entertainment employees, or are common knowledge for many in the community. However, answers by fellow players often go unnoticed while the original poster seeks a more official response.

In order to address this, we have instituted a program that has shown great success on other Blizzard forums: the MVP (Most Valuable Poster) program. A distinctive posting text color (green) is given to identified MVPs who answer other players' questions consistently and accurately. It lends a note of credibility to what they post; it allows players seeking answers to take what they say at face value, and frees up Blizzard representatives so that they can focus on their primary responsibilities.

If you want to put this in the most cynical light possible, they cut and paste blue posts and other official sources in forums to answer questions of players too lazy/stupid to google.

i mean it is early days and i have mixed emotions for this topic, because the mvps seem to be very nice and insightfull people but i dont think they have any credentials on these forums like they would on the wow forums.

in all fairness dont u think mvps for this forum should be chosen for writing guides, been good players and insightful in THIS game?

just makes sense, but im not trying to be rude. :) different game, different mvps. purely because they havnt done nething to earn the status mvp on these forums

That's not really how it works at all, and there are some MVPs chosen from posting on each of the boards (wow, diablo, or Starcraft). You don't get promoted for guide writing usually. You get promoted for being a good helpful person. As long as you stay within topics you know something about, it doesn't matter what forum you post in. This community is going to take some time to really grow and develop, and i hope that eventually more D3-specific players get promoted to MVPs. However, most of the MVPs who started playing WOW are still knowledgeable about D3 if we play both games.

I can't magically change my text to white when I post over here - my whole battle.net account is flagged for MVP, and we want to still be able to talk here about the game we enjoy playing.

I stay out of the SC2 forums because I don't own a copy of SC2. I have D3 and I spent a couple hours today playing it.

Mostly on these forums, I talk to people who have had their accounts compromised. Getting your Battle.net account restored is essentially the same regardless of which game you are playing, so posting customer support things here is the same as posting Customer support things in WoW.
06/11/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Joker
my complaint is the arrogant posting of the group more then the individual. They claim they are helping the community and have special secret ways to talk to the CMs but instead of using that "power" to good use by talking to people and creating thought out threads outlining some problems the community has and asking for constructive ideas on how to fix them they search the forums reporting people and making posts that are not needed and start arguments and create problems.

Any post that shows people the forum rules or reminds people of them, are often times just fine. They aren't 'unneeded' by any sense of the degree. Now, some of you may not like that response, some of you may not appreciate when we say it - but you really can't report anyone for either of those reasons.

We aren't Blizzard officials. I can only speak about the things that you can probably find out about yourself - except you probably won't look for it. Personally, I have always wanted to see increased transparency between the mods/devs and the community. I think they're working on that with the AMAA, but it's a careful balance, and it's a double edged sword some times.

If there was any "official" information about hot-topic/important discussions that I was allowed divulge on from Blizzard...I would do it for you guys in a heartbeat.

The MVPs they currently have do nothing but point out flaws in common users' posts and redirect them to the code of conduct. That is why a large part of the communityhave hostility towards the MVPs.

Like I said, that's their main role -- to explain blizzard policy to those too stupid to read/comprehend policies themselves. The cure for that is to be smart enough to be aware of blizzard policies and stay on the right side of it.
06/11/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Rowzy

That is not really true though. They are folks who are familiar with Battle.net policy, issues, and guidance which reaches across games. They have already proven themselves able to maturely and constructively handle issues, make suggestions, and even criticize Bliz when needed. They are respected enough by Bliz to be allowed to post in any forum they want and Bliz trusts them to use proper judgement when doing so. As in...if you don't know what you are talking about...don't post. They are not treated as small children, but rather valued community members.

It bugs me that some folks assume that if you play WoW you never played anything else extensively. I personally played D1 (minor) D2 ( do they have addiction counseling for that?), SC, WoW, and now D3. I got into Blizzard games from D2 really and I suspect I am not alone.
MVP is a matter of perspective in most cases.... in the end we're all just video game playin' nerds. You shouldnt hate these guys for having freinds on the inside, and you never know this could be their only moment where they feel they did anything with their life in the end.