Diablo 3 vs Guild Wars 2

Games & Technology
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next

Apples. Oranges.

This.

Also, this should probably be in the games/gaming hardware forum.

you know, when people comparing things usually they are different.

as the orange is bitter compared to the apple

i dont understand why u would compare 2 apples," This apple taste more appley than the other apple.?"
06/11/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Trogdorrior
also, I am happily playing D3 and have not yet used the AH. I don't get why the AH is making people all mad.

in diablo 2 you tended to get alot more epic items, now in diablo 3 you only get okay to almost good items, and it is justified because you can sell/buy in the AH. I wonder how many hours/days you have to play, without using the AH, to progress in inferno. as in diablo 2 you didn't had to farm items to progress.
WHY WOULD YOU COMPARE THIS GAME TO AN MMORPG. THEY AREN'T EVEN IN THE SAME MOTHER!@#$ING GENRE. Not to mention that you don't even pay !@#$ after you buy this game.

Sorry, I think my brain just hemorrhaged.

you don't have to pay !@#$ after you buy to guild wars 2. Also I'm comparing features that both games could have.

i dont understand why u would compare 2 apples," This apple taste more appley than the other apple.?"

When you are comparing things, you are talking about their similarities.
When you are contrasting things, you are talking about the things that make them different.

:)

Diablo 3 and Guild Wars are two different types of video games, and should not be compared to support an argument, because there is very little to compare.
Apples. Oranges.

This.

Also, this should probably be in the games/gaming hardware forum.

there are many different kinds of apples, and you can compare their taste, color or even shape. They sure are similar, but not equal.
06/11/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Suedomsa
D3 has been in the works for 11 years. It doesn't matter if it was scrapped and reworked many times. The fact is, D3 has been in development for 11 years.

Why do people keep saying that?

Indeed why do they keep saying it - by that token Skyrim was "in the works for 12 years" (the storyline and basics were written during the development of Morrowind for TES4-6 [yes, the future single player TES title already was written way back then as well])
06/11/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Trogdorrior
I guess i'm the only person that really doesn't care how a game looks compared to how it plays. GW2 is not so good in that department. IMO, of course.

Indeed - wife and I were looking for a new MMO after a time away and thought GW2 might be it - it clearly was not from what the beta has told us.

Good to see some people enjoying it, I don't see how you are, but more power to you.

When you are comparing things, you are comparing their similarities.
When you are contrasting things, you are talking about the things that make them different.

:)

Diablo 3 and Guild Wars are two different types of video games, and should not be compared to support an argument, because there is very little to compare.

That's my point there are so many things to compare, yet you choose not to see them. That's why they will sell us theirs exp packs with little to nothing content/effort, people are refusing to see how much better the game could be.
06/11/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Pyrrhow
That's my point there are so many things to compare, yet you choose not to see them. That's why they will sell us theirs exp packs with little to nothing content/effort, people are refusing to see how much better the game could be.

I don't think you understand the point here, let me try to explain better.

You wouldn't look at World of Warcraft and say "Oh in comparison to WoW D3 sucks," because they are two different games. Looking at comparisons between two different genres is fine if you're looking at their similarities to see how they are analogous, but contrasting them to make a point about which one is better than the other doesn't work when they are two completely different games.
-=---Similarity---=-

they both have/had nearly the same development time (5+ years)
they both sell for $60 US dollars,
they both are a kind of action RPG.

-=---Difference---=-

Guild Wars 2 have:

MMO,
a bigger world,
three extra class,
more build diversity,
unique play style for each class,
underwater combat,
dynamic events,
10 times more quests,
unique and personal story line for each race (5 in total),
competitive PvP,
Server vs Server (open world massive PvP).

Diablo 3 have:
more randomization,
translated to 14 languages,
RMAH.

there are many more differences, but I think I hit the majors, sorry if I forgot something important.
So can any one elaborate how GW2 team manage to do more with about the same development time?!

EDIT: I'm mostly comparing things diablo could have but don't. Like personal unique story line for each character, unique play style for each class, competitive PvP, dynamic events and so on. It could even be a MMO, a hack and slash MMORPG, that could be awesome.

More difinitive proof that Blizzard is slacking (this is obviously a sarcastic post)

Call of Duty: MW3 vs Diablo 1

Similarities
Player Input

Differences
MW3 has better graphics
MW3 has interactive environments (So does Diablo, if you count being able to flip a rock)
MW3 has multiplayer
MW3 has Large 3-D Environments
06/11/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Pyrrhow

Both Diablo 3 and GW2 utilize a number based progression system where new abilities and increased stats are gained via a leveling mechanic after a set number of experience points are acquired.

That is about it. So what, should we know talk about how numbers are handled in both games as a selling point?
don't think you understand the point here, let me try to explain better.

You wouldn't look at World of Warcraft and say "Oh in comparison to WoW D3 sucks," because they are two different games. Looking at comparisons between two different genres is fine if you're looking at their similarities to see how they are analogous, but contrasting them to make a point about which one is better than the other doesn't work when they are two completely different games

I never said one was better than the other, did I? all I said was that guild wars 2 have some features that diablo could have, hence the comparison. I also added that they had the about the same development time, so its more fair to compare. Its not like I'm comparing to World of Warcraft that's been in the market for a decade, or a soccer game that have nothing to do with it. -_-'
06/11/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Pyrrhow
Small scale group content which isn't all that fun anyways, and has very little replay value says to me they mostly care about pvp.

you clearly never saw any guild wars 2 footage or read about it.

This.
06/11/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Pyrrhow
I never said one was better than the other, did I? all I said was that guild wars 2 have some features that diablo could have, hence the comparison. I also added that they had the about the same development time, so its more fair to compare. Its not like I'm comparing to World of Warcraft that's been in the market for a decade, or a soccer game that have nothing to do with it. -_-'

Exactly how is being a MMO, a bigger world akin to a MMO, underwater combat, server vs server combat, and "dynamic events" (as in constantly resetting quests tied to an area on a map, which D3 kinda already has) are features that D3 could have used, especially when those are features of an entirely different genre of gaming? I mean, let us not even get into the foolishness revolving around the idea that class play and build diversity (build diversity in Inferno not withstanding) doesn't exist in the game as is, nor does unique perspectives of the same story via the 5 classes.

You know what is worse than a troll? A backpedaling troll.
06/11/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Makkiworth
Exactly how is being a MMO, a bigger world akin to a MMO, underwater combat, server vs server combat, and "dynamic events" (as in constantly resetting quests tied to an area on a map, which D3 kinda already has) are features that D3 could have used, especially when those are features of an entirely different genre of gaming? I mean, let us not even get into the foolishness revolving around the idea that class play and build diversity (build diversity in Inferno not withstanding) doesn't exist in the game as is, nor does unique perspectives of the same story via the 5 classes.

How?! come on you are trying to say that there is no way diablo could've been a MMO? or even have dynamic events?
lets per say get one of the first diablo event, the jar of souls, they could easily put something like, "defend the jar for 30 seconds", if you failed to defend the event would transit into a failed state where perhaps you had to slay a ghost, or if you defended the event would end and you earn some loot. Also some of the features (underwater combat) I put just to show some contrast as how much more guild wars 2 have that diablo 3 don't.
This didn't take 5 years to make..if it did there was 4 people working on it...weekends only.