Why do patches take 6 hours?

General Discussion
The extended maintenance post will be going up soon. I would plan on not playing till tomorrow. This maintenance is going to take all of today and most of tonight.
In silence. Or listening to Skrillex, who knows.

That's like the most paradoxical thing I have heard, ever. Skrillex is a destruction of music. He rides of a style that isn't his, as if he invented it, and just plays the same annoying sounds over all of these classic melodies and then people suddenly give him rep. It's like the little kids who think Bieber is someone worth idolizing.
perhaps they are doing the same thing as how they did to Asia server several days ago.

And the result was horrible......
Most likey she is a woman as well.
06/12/2012 08:26 AMPosted by Wotan
it's called server maintenance, they are doing more than just patching

I think I agree with this^ one mostly. I'd also like to think that there are people working on things they would prefer not to talk about publicly- working on security, banning, etc.

On a side note, I think what server maintenance looks like is this- Some geeky, stressed out guy walks into a warehouse-looking place and tells someone else to pull a giant lever ala Ghost Busters, "Shut it down! Shut it all down!" Then someone pulls the lever and the sound of millions and billions of tiny little WoW characters, SC2 armies, and Diablo3 characters dying. Then, some very old maid comes in with a duster and sloooooowly starts to pull out a server blade and dust it. Then she replaces it and moves on to the next one.
They just want a break for 6 hours a week to not have to listen to a bunch of kids make demands that have no thought behind them. It taxes their intelligence to hear such stupid things all the time.. so they turn off the servers, shut off their monitors and play chess. In silence. Or listening to Skrillex, who knows.

ENJOY UR SILENCE BLUE

The failure in this logic, is now everybody is on the forums qq'ing even more instead of actually playing.
well you know with the morning coffee break and lunch and then lets not forget the water cooler .. then the call from the wife or gf ... you can see why now these things take time ..
i mean after all it aint like this game is a mmorpg ...
i just wish they would do the maintanance at an earlier time. im east coast and 5-11 is really 8-2. i have a son and full time job so playing in the morning and after work for an hour is the only chance i get.
I plan my errands for maintenance days.
06/12/2012 08:29 AMPosted by BlackDragon
Eve-Online, which has the world's largest MMO server bank is never down this long for server maintenance or patches. They do have a daily hour downtime but still it shouldn't be down for a 6 hour block every week.

So....Eve is down for 7 hours a week and Battlenet is down for 6 all at one time so we don't have to worry about it every single day? Hey, whose side are you on here?
There must be some avenues to shorten this time and I wish Blizzard would find it.

Tedious waiting would kill many users.
Pure conjecture, but because the game is very large and has a lot of redundancy or load balancing, it means any patch, no matter how minor, has a large "setup" period to ensure there is no de-synchronization issues.

The process takes a lot of time unfortunately and they probably run through a set of 'unit-tests' for quality control afterwards to ensure when things go back up, there are no major snafus.

They might even do backups so they can roll back in case there is a disaster.

It is annoying, but the price of admission so to speak. What annoys me is doing it just to patch "mac performance" issues.

As an aside, maybe some of the lag issues require maintenance to 'clear' up? However, it seems to be more related to network issues rather than load. (Unless they are using VMs.. ugh).
06/12/2012 08:29 AMPosted by BlackDragon
Eve-Online, which has the world's largest MMO server bank is never down this long for server maintenance or patches. They do have a daily hour downtime but still it shouldn't be down for a 6 hour block every week.

Daily hour down = 7 hours a week. 6 hours a week < 1 hour a day. More things can be accomplished in a six hour block vs 6~7 one hour blocks.

Each gaming company operates differently, Diablo 3 is "new", it is under new ownership and is targeting a new audience, allow them to find a balance.
06/12/2012 08:44 AMPosted by WorstPlayer
because the game is very large

I lol'ed.
06/12/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Gott
RMAH supposedly live as of today

you dont say...