HC wants Auto-Pause for lag/DC

Hardcore
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
06/13/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Oldboy
Sounds like you should stick to plushiecore mode and not Hardcore. HC doesn't want this, the gaggle of plushies playing in Hardcore who can't handle all that the HC tag implies want this.
If you're okay with losing 100+ hours to a lag spike or unannounced hotfix, you are either deeply masochistic or don't value your time. there is nothing challenging or hardcore about dying to lag, and throwing around condescending terms to anyone who has a proiblem with it just makes you look stupid
Yeah, my first thought was either he didn't bother to read the OP or he's never made it out of A1 NM
06/13/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Crow
If you're okay with losing 100+ hours to a lag spike or unannounced hotfix, you are either deeply masochistic or don't value your time. there is nothing challenging or hardcore about dying to lag, and throwing around condescending terms to anyone who has a proiblem with it just makes you look stupid
Yeah, my first thought was either he didn't bother to read the OP or he's never made it out of A1 NM

Or he understands HC. I was in act 1 Hell with my HC Monk when she died (with close to 50 hours played) due to bad affixes :( but even if she had died from lag that would have been fine. Death is part of the HC experience. Why you die does not matter.

While his wording might have been harsh he was right. Don't like the fact that sometimes losing a character is beyond your control you should stick to normal mode.
I think it would be really nice if blizzard responded to this thread - or if they made a response to ANY of the multitude of threads about the recent server disconnects.
06/13/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Crow
I think it would be really nice if blizzard responded to this thread - or if they made a response to ANY of the multitude of threads about the recent server disconnects.

Why when you agreed to it when you made the character. That big warning states that if your hardcore character dies for any reason it's gone.

Even if a Blizzard employee comes to your home and covers your eyes.
You have poor reading skills soma, this thread isn't about wanting my character back, it's about an improvement that could be implemented that wouldn't affect balance or difficulty but make everyone's life better.
06/13/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Crow
Sounds like you should stick to plushiecore mode and not Hardcore. HC doesn't want this, the gaggle of plushies playing in Hardcore who can't handle all that the HC tag implies want this.
You're a tool. If you think HC means playing a mode where blizzard shouldn't make any attempts to mitigate the effects of lag or other things that aren't intended to be part of game you need work on your critical thinking skills.

This is like asking for a way to pause your life if you're about to get hit by a car or have a deadly reaction to a bee sting. Hardcore knows there is ping, knows there is disconnects and yet soldiers on. If you cannot deal with the reality of disconnects and lag, you are not prepared for the reality of Hardcore. If your reaction to this statement is that YOU would like it to be different than this, then that should be your realization that you are not ready for Hardcore.

And I don't mean you aren't good enough, or that only the "real" players play Hardcore. Just that it is a game mode where you are going to die, and it may be due to lag. It is not for everyone. And it sounds like it's not for you. And that is okay.
06/13/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Tatersack
If implemented what stops players from just yanking out the network cable like in D2?

I don't know, what stopped them from doing it in D2?
06/13/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Parvelous
You're a tool. If you think HC means playing a mode where blizzard shouldn't make any attempts to mitigate the effects of lag or other things that aren't intended to be part of game you need work on your critical thinking skills.

This is like asking for a way to pause your life if you're about to get hit by a car or have a deadly reaction to a bee sting. Hardcore knows there is ping, knows there is disconnects and yet soldiers on. If you cannot deal with the reality of disconnects and lag, you are not prepared for the reality of Hardcore. If your reaction to this statement is that YOU would like it to be different than this, then that should be your realization that you are not ready for Hardcore.

And I don't mean you aren't good enough, or that only the "real" players play Hardcore. Just that it is a game mode where you are going to die, and it may be due to lag. It is not for everyone. And it sounds like it's not for you. And that is okay.
Your view of HC is naive in the extreme. In real life you don't randomly lose control of yourself and stand still for 5 seconds because God stops taking input data. That's the equivalent example

Something easily preventable and external to in game play is negatively effecting game
play. If certain video cards caused a complete frame loss randomly once ever 4 hrs for 10 seconds would you claim blizzard shouldn't fix it because HC players should just expect this? It's the same thing.
06/13/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Brawl
If implemented what stops players from just yanking out the network cable like in D2?

I don't know, what stopped them from doing it in D2?
Pause is already in the game, what stops them from using it as is?
Bump
Real HC players don't assume their heroes should never die, they are always prepared to start a new hero.

Quit focusing on how or why your hero is dying and start focusing on farming and progression.

Your view of HC is naive in the extreme. In real life you don't randomly lose control of yourself and stand still for 5 seconds because God stops taking input data. That's the equivalent example

Something easily preventable and external to in game play is negatively effecting game
play. If certain video cards caused a complete frame loss randomly once ever 4 hrs for 10 seconds would you claim blizzard shouldn't fix it because HC players should just expect this? It's the same thing.

Actually in real life it is not uncommon for some to be seized by forces they are not consciously controlling which make them lose control of their body (they are called seizures and the world doesn't pause when they have one).

Lag is a reality of online gaming. It is not a perfect world in which we live. Technology is not to the point where lag is not an issue. If your video card breaks than your video card is BROKEN. Networks that are operating correctly (ie: not broken) experience lag from time to time. This is the reality of Hardcore. You may die to lag. Get used to that reality or continue to be angry about it. The choice is yours. But it is not Blizzard's responsibility to try to shield you from the external world. You knew what this was when you made your character, and if you didn't, let this be your lesson.
Bumping this for support.

Server jumped earlier while on my HC character and luckily I was fighting weak spiders so just spamming left click saw me through the lag. But I had cleared a bunch of champs seconds earlier, which really scared the crap out of me. Please implement this.

Actually in real life it is not uncommon for some to be seized by forces they are not consciously controlling which make them lose control of their body (they are called seizures and the world doesn't pause when they have one).

Lag is a reality of online gaming. It is not a perfect world in which we live. Technology is not to the point where lag is not an issue. If your video card breaks than your video card is BROKEN. Networks that are operating correctly (ie: not broken) experience lag from time to time. This is the reality of Hardcore. You may die to lag. Get used to that reality or continue to be angry about it. The choice is yours. But it is not Blizzard's responsibility to try to shield you from the external world. You knew what this was when you made your character, and if you didn't, let this be your lesson.

I would just like to point out that Diablo 3 is a video game.
This is actually from design-stand point an interesting idea.
Ping is generated client-side. This could easily be abused, simply sever the connection to b.net when at a certain percentage of HP.

Good idea, though.
And then the game pauses, you can already pause the game. How would this ever be abused? This wouldn't let you leave the game without the 10s leaving rule.

So if I am about to die, I pull the plug on my internet and I am miraculously saved...?

And you can easily die in 10 seconds, so how would this keep you from dying?
I'd write up an explanation explaining why this is a stupid idea... but I don't even know where to start. I did LOL pretty hard when I read it though.
Although the sentiment is nice, this is something that we will just have to learn to deal with. I was lucky not to have died during the first large like spike suffered 2 or 3 days ago, and know not to play during those times if I want to avoid that risk until we see the issue has been fixed.

It's been happening at the same time every night for the past 2-3 days so it's really not difficult to avoid. This is an inherent risk we take in hardcore and there's no reason for us to be given special treatment.
And then the game pauses, you can already pause the game. How would this ever be abused? This wouldn't let you leave the game without the 10s leaving rule.

So if I am about to die, I pull the plug on my internet and I am miraculously saved...?

And you can easily die in 10 seconds, so how would this keep you from dying?
because you'd have a chance to log back in?