Does Blizzard charge people 15% twice?

General Discussion
If you sell something on the RMHA is Blizzard charging 15% to sell, and then another 15% to give you the money. I have not been able to find any information on this, because there are so many rants.
I thought it was $1/transaction and %15 on cashout.
Blizzard charges you $1 per sale on non-commodities.

If you take the funds to your b.net balance, that is all they charge.

If you take the funds to PayPal, they charge an additional 15%.
15% auction fee and %15 if using a third party payment system (PayPal)
Blizzard said it will take $1 from every piece of equipment (weapons and armor) successfully sold. For commodities like crafting materials, gems, gold, and what Blizzard described as "stackable" items, the company will enact a 15 percent transaction fee. On top of that, Blizzard will take another 15 percent if gamers elect to move funds to a third-party service like PayPal.
Blizzard charges you $1 per sale on non-commodities.

If you take the funds to your b.net balance, that is all they charge.

If you take the funds to PayPal, they charge an additional 15%.
$1 for sale
15% for sale
15% to transfer to paypal

paypal income = (item price listed) * 0.15 * 0.15 - 1
06/12/2012 03:50 PMPosted by misanthrope
I thought it was $1/transaction and %15 on cashout.
YES, and you should be happy about that. And asked to be charged 3X.

ENTITLEMENT
$1 for sale
15% for sale

No, it's $1 OR 15% for the sale depending on whether it's a commodity item.

So, non-commodity items have a $1 sale fee and if you withdraw to Paypal an additional 15%.

Commodity items have a 15% sale fee and if you withdraw to Paypal, it's an additional 15%, for a total of 30%.
06/12/2012 03:52 PMPosted by KeraSwiftbow
15% auction fee and %15 if using a third party payment system (PayPal)

Gear (weapons / armor) is 1$ fee from Blizzard, and if you want it transfered to paypal an additional 15%

Commodities are 15% fee from Blizzard and 15% fee from paypal
I was under the mistaken impression it was $1 + 15% + 15% + paypal charges also - here is the FAQ so you can confirm it isn't:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-general-information#q2

(I think the mistake arises because the Gold AH 15% cut is mentioned above on "all sales", and that is what people read first)

So as it stands (iiuc) - $1 + 15% to A-B, if you cash out for non-commodities (and any charges from Paypal approx 3%).

15% + 15% to A-B, if you cash out for commodities/stackable items.
As a side note, this is how stock dividends are taxed in the US as well but just in the opposite order. Once when the company makes the money and then a second time (which just happens to be 15% IRL) when the stock owner receives the dividend.
06/12/2012 04:01 PMPosted by stadisticado
As a side note, this is how stock dividends are taxed in the US as well but just in the opposite order. Once when the company makes the money and then a second time (which just happens to be 15% IRL) when the stock owner receives the dividend.

LOL, not really true. This is a broker's fee. It has nothing to do with taxation.

Dividends are taxed as ordinary income.
$1 for sale
15% for sale

No, it's $1 OR 15% for the sale depending on whether it's a commodity item.

So, non-commodity items have a $1 sale fee and if you withdraw to Paypal an additional 15%.

Commodity items have a 15% sale fee and if you withdraw to Paypal, it's an additional 15%, for a total of 30%.

Sure. Also surprised I wasn't caught on my maths.

paypal income = (item price listed - 1) * 0.85
So how does it work?

You sell gear for $100.00 on the RMAH.
Blizzard charges $1.00 for the transaction and puts $99.00 into your bnet account.

You sell gear for $100.00 on the RMAH.
Blizzard charges $1.00 for the transaction and then 15% to put the money into your PayPal account.

You sell a commodity for $100.00 on the RMAH.
Blizzard charges 15% for the transaction and puts $85.00 in you bnet account.

You sell a commodity for $100.00 on the RMAH.
Blizzard charges 15% for the transaction and then another 15% to put the money in your PayPal account.

Here's the big question, when Blizzard puts the money into you PayPal account, is it the percentage of what is transferred or is it for the total cost of the item as it sold?

Say I sell a commodity for $100.00. Blizzard takes 15% off the top leaving me with $85.00. Now, to put that money into my PayPal account, will they take another 15% off of $100.00 or the $85.00?

You see, if they take 15% twice from $100.00, your PayPal account will get $60.00. If they take 15% from $100.00 and the 15% from $85.00, your PayPal account will get $72.25. It might not seem like a lot at first, but if you sell 10, yo are out $225.00.

You see, if they take 15% twice from $100.00, your PayPal account will get $60.00. If they take 15% from $100.00 and the 15% from $85.00, your PayPal account will get $72.25. It might not seem like a lot at first, but if you sell 10, yo are out $225.00.

Math error, you mean $70 (-$15 for each step).

So if you sell 10, you're out $22.50, not $225.00.

Still a good question, my impression was/is the 15% paypal fee is taken from the amount transferring to paypal, AFTER the blizzard fees were removed, so it'd be 15% of the $85.

Math error, you mean $70 (-$15 for each step).

So if you sell 10, you're out $22.50, not $225.00.

Still a good question, my impression was/is the 15% paypal fee is taken from the amount transferring to paypal, AFTER the blizzard fees were removed, so it'd be 15% of the $85.

You are correct on my math. I don't know why I thought 40 would be a 30, just stupid in my head, lol.

As for the answer, I would think it would have to be 15% of the amount being transferred.

LOL, not really true. This is a broker's fee. It has nothing to do with taxation.

Dividends are taxed as ordinary income.

Not sure what you're talking about. The company makes income, they get taxed on that income, then they use that income to pay dividends. The person who owns the stock pays taxes on the dividend income. That is double taxation. Corporations that receive dividends from other corporations actually results in triple taxation, although there is a tax break to reduce the triple taxation (not eliminate it).