Future of Gold Auction House

General Discussion
Putting aside the debate of the RMAH, what do you guys think will happen with the gold auction house? Will prices rise/fall? Will there be insane gold inflation? Will there be more/less items to choose from? Give a theory and why you think its so.

Edit: I do have theories of my own, but I'd rather start the discussion =)

Edit2: It seems the most popular theory is that the best items will go straight to the RMAH, and that there will be rapid inflation in the gold auction house.
well i think many will simply ignore the rmah altogether and use the AH as usual
Educated discussion usually implies you give evidence to back your claims. It seems plenty of people are using the RMAH, even with the current high prices.
I think Real money Auction Hall will fail as soon as the price fixers realize they are charging to much for virtual items and the only one profiting from it is Blizzard.

Gold AH will always be around but prices will stabilize after all the gold sellers get their accounts banned.

There will always be snake oil salesmen in both AH's until Blizzard takes action and moderates the transactions. (Never going to happen)
06/13/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Lonewolff
Educated discussion usually implies you give evidence to back your claims. It seems plenty of people are using the RMAH, even with the current high prices.

Trolling your own post?

Gold AH will always be around but prices will stabilize after all the gold sellers get their accounts banned.

Gold selling isn't really ban worthy anymore, look at the trade forums
b
The Gold Auction House will always be a option no matter what happens in Diablo 3.
06/13/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Buffinator
The Gold Auction House will always be a option no matter what happens in Diablo 3.

Of course, but Im talking about the effects within the gold auction house.
b
b
Well first off, lets try to understand the value gold has in diablo 3.

What is gold needed for:
staff of herding and upgrades 1-2mil
Potions for certain classes-varies if you're unlucky from finding them maybe 2-30k every so often.
repairs- 1-10kish atm (suppose to go higher soon)
crafting-????? (does not make sense to craft atm)
maybe a vendor item every now and then 1-10k

I'm sure i'm forgetting something but at the moment there is nothing that gives gold it's value. People have been selling great items for lots of gold because of speculation on the RMAH before it came out.

I honestly think gold is 100% useless just like in diablo 2.

If they made crafting more desirable there might be more use for it.

But, I mean there's nothing worth using in game with gold. The value gold has atm is imaginary.
Sigh. So many idiots in this thread. Okay OP, I'll bite.

The RMAH will basically take all of the highest-end items. It makes no sense for people with access to the best gear to use gold instead of cash, because they can reasonably expect further awesome gear that they will want to be on the RMAH instead of the gold AH.

What this means is that the number of assets against which gold is being measured has just taken a huge hit at the top end. All of the previously 20m+ items will be on the RMAH, which means the same amount of gold left in the economy will now be valued against all the remaining lower tier gear. Since the same large and increasing supply of gold exists, but the quality of gear has dropped, the price of all the remaining gear should marginally increase relative to the gold supply, leading to inflation.

TL;DR: The RMAH will lead to inflation on the gold AH.

I should also note for the idiots who won't realize this, that this doesn't mean any specific piece of gear will become more expensive. Individual pieces will always devalue over time as better pieces are introduced. But if we think of all items, instead of the top 1% being worth 20million+ gold, now those are all on the RMAH, so the top 2% left on the AH will increase in price to where the previous tier were before. So basically if you want a weapon that is a top 5% weapon, it will be more expensive than it used to be, because 25% (or whatever) of those items are now on the RMAH, and not available for gold.
But, I mean there's nothing worth using in game with gold. The value gold has atm is imaginary.

I'm not sure how you missed this, but gold is a currency. It is imaginary by definition. People use arbitrary amounts to decide the "gold-value" of items.

Gold was worthless in d2 because the supply was effectively infinite, and you need a finite currency. Until hackers figure out how to endlessly create D3 gold at little or no cost, it will continue to have value, subject to inflation etc.

TL;DR: The RMAH will lead to inflation on the gold AH.

I quite agree. Also, the stockpiled gold that is waiting to be sold on the RMAH will decrease the relative value of gold substantially as billions are dumped into the system at a dollar a million.
06/13/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Aurora

I'm not sure how you missed this, but gold is a currency. It is imaginary by definition. People use arbitrary amounts to decide the "gold-value" of items.

Gold was worthless in d2 because the supply was effectively infinite, and you need a finite currency. Until hackers figure out how to endlessly create D3 gold at little or no cost, it will continue to have value, subject to inflation etc.

let me rephrase that since it was rather constructed poorly.

What gives anyone the incentive to sell things in gold? why would someone want to use game gold. It has no purpose beyond what I just listed. Nothing in the game costs 2million gold. People on the auction house arbitrarily priced items for gold as speculation on what it would be worth relative to real money (derp right?). Yes I know the definition of a currency, but sometimes people need to be reminded that.

No gold in d2 was worthless when they took out the chance that gambling gave you to get legendary items, before that I loved to be able to see if I could buy a soj with gold. Other than getting repair costs for high valued items, it was pointless. Yes in d2 gold dropped a lot but with the amount you could get nothing was marginally valuable. It still has some value though today, as some people like to test their luck trying to get some uber rare ammies and fcr rings.

What I'm getting at is that Gold has no real use in the game. I know people will still sell for gold but it won't be because the items are good. It will either be to get through each difficulty or due to laziness of not wanting to set up paypal acc to sell on rmah. There is no effective gold sink for the game because crafting is just another failed/poor attempt at gambling. Actually its worse. In d2 all you did was pay gheed and woah you got the item. Instead in d3 you have to STILL pay the crafter and farm/gather materials and its STILL random. what the fuu is that?

I'd honestly sell in gold if crafting was useful. I'd like to be able to craft my own stuff, but right now it isn't viable with the value gold still has atm.

I agree with what you said though in you're previous post. I was just merely stating the fact that gold is a pointless currency atm, period. The realization that gold is poor will, like you said, cause inflation. We need a good gold sink.
I think Real money Auction Hall will fail as soon as the price fixers realize they are charging to much for virtual items and the only one profiting from it is Blizzard.

I think you are living in a dream world if you think that banning some of the gold sellers (they'll never find all of them) will have a major perceivable effect on prices. I think the biggest gold sellers are probably pretty adept at covering their tracks and moving gold to "clean" accounts. I could be giving them too much credit, it's true. But they have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.

Here's what I think (like anyone cares):

Prices on the RMAH will even out as more people start posting items for sale.

Once people can buy/sell gold on RMAH, I suspect we will see the prices on the GAH increase substantially. This could eventually lead to situations (particularly after PvP comes out) where the uberest of uber items are sold on the GAH for vast amounts of gold, due to the limit on how much they can sell for on the RMAH.
All things change th Gold AH will continue to fluctuate as it has been doing even without the RMAH. Gold sellers were selling gold for $13/mil not sure what they are selling it for currently. However if you look at the prices of the various reasonable auctions in the RMAH (things that are actually selling within an hour) and compare to the current gold prices of same or similar items you will see the current value of gold is close to $40 per mil.

In regards to the top 1% items leaving the Gold AH I disagree. Gold does and will continue to have a value if for no other reason then to purchase items that can be sold for $$$. After all if you can buy 1 of the top 1% items and sell it in the Gold AH for enough gold to purchase 3 items in the top 3% that can be sold in the RMAH for enough to double your original costs and buy 1 top 1% items then it will happen.

Those people who are using the RMAH will most likely use the Gold AH to increase thier gold in order to puchase more items to sell on the RMAH. For example you can purchase amulets and rings either via buyout or bid for under 3k each and sell them on the gold AH for 5000+ (depending on affixes) and make a tidy profit. Do this often enough (tons of similar items to do this with) and you will have enough gold to purchase itmes from the gold AH that can be resold on the RMAH.

All of that leads to even more fluctuation in prices on both AH. Thus extending the amount of time it will take for stablization which will only exist for 75% or less of the items being sold.