Battle.net SMS protect and Prepaid phones

General Discussion
Ok well I am S-O-L along with many others on being able to use the RMAH just because I don't want to have a contract cell phone. I am a longtime loyal Virgin Mobile subscriber and quite honestly I don't think anything can beat them. I am grandfathered into a $40/month plan that includes 1200 minutes, unlimited web, and unlimited sms. But I suppose, at least for the time being, if I have to go out and get another cell phone just to use the RMAH then so be it.

So I guess my question is .. which prepaid phones will work? Blizzard was very vague on this and they state: "Cell phones with prepaid plans may not work with the SMS Protect service." So they state: MAY not work - but my understanding it is that Battle.net sms protect will work with the pre-paid phones of major carriers that use their own cell towers (i.e. AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon) and won't work with the off-brand services that don't have their own towers (i.e. Tracfone, Virgin Mobile, Boost). Am I correct in this understanding? Anyone out there that has a prepaid of the major carriers and can verify it works? I am considering heading down to the local Walmart to pick up a cheap $20 T-Mobile prepaid phone, but need to know if anyone else out there has it working with their pre-paid setup.
I can say this, i use the Straight Talk plan from Walmart, and it doesnt work.
I called Blizzard about this subject this morning and after waiting on hold for over an hour (est wait time was like 40 mins at 6:20am) I was basically told: "Sorry, SMS protect is something that paypal required them to do." We're basically SOL unless they come up with something else later.
that cant be true, why do so many other companies use paypal for their games, and we dont need to get txts...
06/13/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Dodged
that cant be true, why do so many other companies use paypal for their games, and we dont need to get txts...

Standard procedure to place blame on the other guy and lie straight to a customer's face.
Well if you think about it, when you buy microtransaction stuff from other games you'er buying "points" to spend on in game items, you're not holding a balance with any real monetary value. Like with League of Legends for example, I can't do anything in game that will earn me Riot points which I can cash out through paypal. This is an entirely different thing so I guess paypal didn't want to be liable or something.
Hmm, I still have yet to hear from any Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T prepaid subscribers. Any out there? If not, then I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig and see if a cheap t-mobile prepaid phone will work.
Hmm, I still have yet to hear from any Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T prepaid subscribers. Any out there? If not, then I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig and see if a cheap t-mobile prepaid phone will work.

If you do end up a guinea pig, let me know how it goes -- I might have to do the same thing even though I despise it. =P
Yeah it may be the only option. I'm assuming the reason why I haven't heard anything from verizon, tmobile, or at&t prepaid customers is because it works for them and they are happy lol. I'll post an update later on.
I have a prepaid T-Mobile phone (phone = T-mobile Sparq) and it worked for me.
06/13/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Safeguard

I'm a little confused between the wording pre-paid and pay-as-you-go as I'm a relative cell phone noob. Is that phone from T-mobile, pay as you go? Meaning I can just reload it with cards and not pay monthly.
I would also like to know more info on this. ( I'm also a longtime Virgin Mobile user ) I hate that I am going to need to buy another phone just for this. Please keep this post updated so that everyone can know if your cheap t-mobile phone actually does work.
Do any of your prepaid phones have data service? You can download an authenticator app. I couldn't get the sms but I downloaded the app for my blackberry and it worked.
06/13/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Kaza
Do any of your prepaid phones have data service? You can download an authenticator app. I couldn't get the sms but I downloaded the app for my blackberry and it worked.

We're looking to get real money out of the RMAH using paypal. To do that, we need SMS which isn't suported on the majority of pre-paid phones even though we have SMS service.
can you just buy the authenticator device instead of a new phone? its like $6.50
06/13/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Zoloft
can you just buy the authenticator device instead of a new phone? its like $6.50

Not if you want to cash out using Paypal...you need both an authenticator and SMS Protect (this is not mobile authenticator, like people seem to think).
Some people aren't understanding: To get actual cash via PayPal route, you have to have both the Authenticator (which is easy enough to get,) and the SMS deal, if you just want it for the B.Net balance, you just need the Authenticator.
06/13/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Safeguard

Thanks for your input! I went out to Walmart, and got the cheapest major carrier prepaid mobile phone which in this case was a T-Mobile Samsung t139 camera flip phone. The phone cost 30 bucks and I got it with a $10 top up card. I am using the phone on a pay-as-you-go basis (txts are 10 cents to receive, 20 cents to send). I was finally able to activate Battle.net SMS protect with this phone.

Sucks that I had to purchase a 2nd phone to use the RMAH. But maintaining it should be pretty cheap because I only have to purchase a $10 top up card like every 90 days or so.
06/13/2012 04:27 PMPosted by KomodoDragon
I would also like to know more info on this. ( I'm also a longtime Virgin Mobile user ) I hate that I am going to need to buy another phone just for this. Please keep this post updated so that everyone can know if your cheap t-mobile phone actually does work.

Yep Komodo, it worked. Currently I have my authenticator app on my Virgin Mobile android phone. And sms protect on the t-mobile phone. I have the alerts disabled so hopefully it won't be sending me a txt everytime i win, post, or sell an auction. So all this phone is going to end up doing is sitting around.