Archbishop Lazarus

Lore and Story
I know I am quoting something wrote in 2012, but...

06/14/2012 07:25 PMPosted by KingCorder
for those of us who played Diablo 1, having Lazarus come back would be so awesome!

Diablo 1 is at least in my top 3 games of all time, and I can honestly and without any hesitation say, that I would HATE to see Lazarus in Diablo 3.

06/14/2012 07:25 PMPosted by KingCorder
Remember when you had to get Lazarus' staff in Diablo 1, go travel through his portal and take him out and then the GIANT pentagram on the ground in level 15 was glowing constantly and a portal opened in the center revealing the way to level 16 where Diablo was? THAT! was Truly AWESOME!!!!

YEAH, THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

In Diablo 1. We don't need another poor comeback like Butcher for the sake of fan service.

02/16/2016 05:04 PMPosted by Will
There are so many NPC's from the previous games who've yet to have their stories resolved. Why not explore these before resurrecting another character?

Why not make... like... new characters?

But if they are going to turn out like Leah or Maghda... yeah... don't make new characters.

02/16/2016 05:04 PMPosted by Will
True they have corpses in their spots in D2, but this is hardly definitive.

Corpses are pretty definitive ending to someone in my opinion, but seeing how they brought Adria (as completely different character), apparently, we can expect anything now.
Why not make... like... new characters?
Like you I'm not opposed to new characters if they're done well, but I'm a nostalgic individual and would love to see some of those D2 characters again.
04/13/2016 08:21 AMPosted by Avdima
Corpses are pretty definitive ending to someone in my opinion, but seeing how they brought Adria (as completely different character), apparently, we can expect anything now.
I never thought of Tristram as only having 8 residents, nor do I think this was D1's intention. More a result of the game's limitations at the time. If we assume that there were more than 8 people living in Tristram, then it is conceivable that the corpses seen in D2 are not necessarily the NPC's from D1.
04/13/2016 05:09 PMPosted by Will
I never thought of Tristram as only having 8 residents, nor do I think this was D1's intention.

To be honest, the place could be desolated. There are demons crawling out to the surface* (as mentioned by Ogden when they steal his sign). I suppose there are some inhabited lands close to Tristram, as seen in Diablo 3 (farmhouses and similar), but the town itself? I believe it's what we saw thrice so far (in every Diablo game so far), few buildings near the Cathedral, probably some kind of place for pilgrimage.

There are small, profitable businesses built nearby for the travelers, a tavern and a blacksmith (and a healer?). Tristram is probably in its very early stage of development, before people started to settle there (this could explain why there is a tavern and a blacksmith, they wanted to be the first in a new town). Cathedral itself was built by the Horadrim to imprison Diablo beneath it, so it would explain why it was built in the middle of nowhere (later Leoric found it and settled his kingdom there).

The only thing that still confuses me is: why Tristram is drawn differently in every single artwork?

Most of this is probably adding fluff for the sake of it and nobody really bothered to think about it back when Diablo 1 or 2 was made. In Diablo 1 it most likely was just not important to the devs and having a town made of 8 houses was enough to suspend the disbelief for its time.

* EDIT: If I recall correctly, Tristram was meant to be attacked by monsters, but due to difficulty of coding or some other limitations, the idea was scrapped.