I am Legion LOL

Lore and Story
Guys, im sure "I am legion" has been uttered many times in history. However, it is more likely that the writers on D3 saw Ghost Rider and were so impressed by the dialog that they modeled the script after it.
D3 writers steal lines from a masterpiece like the first Ghost Rider Movie?

And He asked him , "What is thy name?" And he answered, saying, "My name is Legion: for we are many.
-Mark 5:9

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."
-"My name is Legion, for we are many". Latin translation from the bible.

This phrase is commonly used to refer to a being that has multiple minds, souls or entities within them. This is because the phrase is well known in a biblical sense, the man named Legion had hundreds of demons within him, in which Jesus Christ expelled into a heard of pigs, which then threw themselves to their deaths in madness.

Notable examples of the use of "Legion" in popular culture:

-the Geth unit "Legion" earns this name and EDI even uses this passage to describe him
-Ghostrider, Blackheart proclaims that he is Legion after consuming many, many souls
-Macfarlen's Spawn does the same as Blackheart above
-"Legion" from X-men is a mutant who posesses a mind for every power he uses, making his body a vehicle for more than a dozen 'people', who shift and twist control and powers.

The fact that you took this seriously enough to respond with this wall of text shows an insane lack of intelligence and an enormous inability to grasp simple elementary school concepts like sarcasm. Apparently quite a few lacked this fundamental ability.

One guy even took the line "Masterpiece that was Ghost Rider" seriously. LOL people are dumb my god

@ Melyria

I'm going to say this only once, but so far you're the best critic D3's writing team could ever hope for. Whether you're criticizing or defending the story, your posts are a pleasure to read and for the most part manage to be just and insightful. Keep it up! :)

Wow...take everything that guy said and then apply a dose of reality to it and it should be the exact opposite. Melyria might be the worst poster I've ever seen on any forum anywhere. The pleasure derived is from laughing at the complete lack of logic or rational thought applied to this persons stream of ignorance constituting "posts"
06/19/2012 07:23 AMPosted by Melyria
Let's not forget the bouncy 717s :P

Actually, if you watch the movie, I believe that Diablo's chest is more of a carapace. And the only reason they move is because the shell is loosely fixed to the body.

Basically, they're not bouncing because they're bouncy, they're bouncing because they bone plate on Diablo's chest is so loosely connected to his body. Look between them and you'll see a giant crack that glows, connected by sinew.

Looks like if you were to shove your hands in there you could rip Diablo's chest right open.

I think you misunderstand the guy. He's say its ridiculous they are made to look like breasts

@Oldirty Haha, stop it, you're making me spit out my cornflakes (figuratively)
06/19/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Hells
I think you misunderstand the guy. He's say its ridiculous they are made to look like breasts

Eh. I just content the term 'bouncy' because they look like they're made of bone and fixed to the chestplate.

Now, if you have issue with them being breasts in the first place, or Diablo's female looking form, that's an entirely different argument. One not really fit for the thread set forward by the OP's topic.

And He asked him , "What is thy name?" And he answered, saying, "My name is Legion: for we are many.

This phrase is commonly used to refer to a being that has multiple minds, souls or entities within them. This is because the phrase is well known in a biblical sense, the man named Legion had hundreds of demons within him, in which Jesus Christ expelled into a heard of pigs, which then threw themselves to their deaths in madness.

-the Geth unit "Legion" earns this name and EDI even uses this passage to describe him
-Ghostrider, Blackheart proclaims that he is Legion after consuming many, many souls
-"Legion" from X-men is a mutant who posesses a mind for every power he uses, making his body a vehicle for more than a dozen 'people', who shift and twist control and powers.

Melyria,

After reading your detailed post regarding this very random topic, I can only think of two possibilities...

You are a repository of very random knowledge (not a bad thing)
or
You work for Blizzard and are one of the writers of D3. Perhaps the one who suggested the line "I am Legion" for Diablo. (very bad thing)

Please confirm...
06/19/2012 10:24 AMPosted by OlDirty
You are a repository of very random knowledge (not a bad thing)

I was on trivia team when I was younger. I also like reading and researching topics. Religion is a favored topic of mine, as is psychology and sociology. I like knowing how people work.

You work for Blizzard and are one of the writers of D3. Perhaps the one who suggested the line "I am Legion" for Diablo. (very bad thing)

Nope. If I worked for Blizzard, I'd be pretty much working every moment I could on whatever game I was asigned to and wouldn't be posting on these forums.

Also, the "I am Legion" line isn't bad. It fits the theme of him being the Prime Evil. The problem was the overall wordiness of the entire conversation.
Yeah that line makes me cringe. Cliche to the point that I thought I had killed diablo (III) before on my first play through. Beyond that it just sounds lame. You can try to justify it any way you want but the effect it had on me was to litteraly laugh when i heard it the first time. Oh so terrible.
Guys, im sure "I am legion" has been uttered many times in history. However, it is more likely that the writers on D3 saw Ghost Rider and were so impressed by the dialog that they modeled the script after it.

You know it's probably the most famous demon-related quote in history, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_in_popular_culture
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IAmLegion
Bro, just because its famous doesn't mean its not corny...
'I am Legion' is too cliched in my opinion.

In Diablo 2, he said "Not even death can save you from me!"

That's...terrifying.

The writing for this game was meant to please all audiences except the hardcore, and was way too cliched and easy to understand.

+1
"Not even death can save you from me!"

was pretty cliche and cheesy 2.
And untrue, if you don't have a Hardcore character.
Honestly, the line "I am Legion" is very powerful to me. It could have been used to great effect. I say "could have" because you toss in Diablo's terrible voice and absurdly trite dialog up to and following saying "I am Legion" and it just ruins it. TEAR-ROR anyone?

Listen to Diablo's voice in the "Wrath" trailer. SO much better.

"Look upon me and see the seven made one and know your doom. I am legion and...YOU...ARE...DEAD!" Cue wave of dark energy.

Would have been pretty cool with that voice.
"The Seven Evils are one within me! I AM LEGION!"

This is actually a pretty good opening. It's short but memorable.

"Enough! Let us see how you fare in my Realm of Terror!"
"Only by defeating us can you return to your own realm! But none have ever crawled from the depths of their own terror!"

The most common complaint about these lines is the odd way he pronounces "terror".

"How does it feel knowing you have failed those who depended on you?"
"You shall never wake from this nightmare!"
"Can you feel your death approaching?"
"How tastes your fear, Nephalem?"

These aren't too bad, although he seems to spam them. Hearing each once would be enough.

"No! This wretched light must be eradicated! All that you have ever known - all that you have ever loved - will die along with you, Nephalem!"

The main problem with this bit (and the Realm of Terror opening) is that he goes into cutscene mode to say it. Players don't like having control of their characters taken away in the middle of a fight, and I see little reason he couldn't say these things in real-time.

The same sort of thing happens during the Belial fight. We see a cutscene where he says, "I will not be undone! This world is mine!" and teleports down from the balcony. Why did we need to go into cutscene mode for that?

"Not even death can save you from me!"was pretty cliche and cheesy 2.

How was that line cliche? I've never heard it before or after D2. I don't see it as cheezy either. I still remember hearing it the first time thinking how badazz it sounded. Mortals can see death as an escape from whatever suffering they might be experiencing in life. In this case dying isn't going to do any good since Diablo is someone you could run into in the next plane. In other words, there is no escape. How is that not a terrifying thought?
teh ROAR is all I remember from the Diablo fight... Or in fact, any fight in Diablo 3...

Whereas,
Die, maggots!
My brothers have escaped you!
Not even death can save you from me!

Have stuck for over 10 years in my head.
Duriel and Baal's lines, not really though.
im cool with diablos legion quote, but i was disappointed when he didnt really have any new tricks to offer when i punched him around like a sandbag. Realm of terror, my a$$ ....

I was hoping to see him use attacks from other evils from the previous games... lame..
06/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Melyria

Thank you for bringing some intelligence to the thread and shining the light on the fact that Ghostrider did not make this quote. I'm not into religion but I love the quote, if my name left any doubt, and I'm glad someone knew it's true origin.
screw this noise nothing will ever beat

not even death will save you from me!!
well on wikipedia, if u search Legion(demon)
will show u a page about a man who POSSESSED by many demons, in the Bible itself...
if u are a castlevania fan, there also a Legion, composed of many human corpses
and by the way, the 7 evils are 7 decapitated heads of Tathamet, so i would expect Diablo would be more dragon-like
that my opinion