Belial is alive. Belial is Tyrael.

Lore and Story
i find that theorie very interessting and actually plausible.
A further hint could be the glowing after we kill belial. Yes, he transformed everything in some weird poison hurrican and they needed some animation to bring us back to caldeum but for me the glowing of the whole screen could be a major hint here.
I imagine Angels would die like that
Blizzard should replace Metzen with the OP.

This is one of the best speculated stories on forum i ever read.

When think about it, Lord of Lies, what lies has he done to justify his title?

(ignore the fact that the hell tactical genius Mr Azmodan has only 1 tactic. :p )

i would love to see this story unfold in the expansion. :D
Wouldn't work. If only 6 of 7 great evils are trapped within the soul stone, how can Diablo become the prime evil by uniting the 7 in one?

simple math.
I like your plot, but I think its unlikely that Blizzard were smart enough to think this through. The story is weak as !@#$ and its not gonna be any better in the next game.
what if cain or imperius were belial??!! o.0
06/27/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Elsanto

yay! more Belial conspiracy theories!
06/27/2012 05:13 PMPosted by LittleDisco

yay! more Belial conspiracy theories!

I thought i just saw the Illuminati all seeing eyes on my cain's robe!
I've discussed this elsewhere, and I've been adapting the theory for some time. In a nutshell, theory goes like this: Belial replaces Tyrael after Magha captures him during Act 1. The real Tyrael is moved to Belial's seat of power in Caldeum.

The being you slay at the end of Act II is Tyrael, not Belial, and it's HIS soul that becomes trapped inside the Black Soulstone. This is the reason "Tyrael" goes along with Adria's obvious plan, and it's Belial's influence over falsehood that makes the Nephalem believe any of it to begin with. Tyrael's presence in the Black Soulstone instead of Belial's is why the "Prime Evil" was so much weaker than expected, and so easily beaten by the Nephalem: Tyrael's soul was battling against the others from within.

The major hint towards this possibility is the journal entry you receive from Magda when you defeat her: she implies that Adria had been one of the leaders of Magda's cult... a cult devoted to BELIAL... not to DIABLO. This bit of lore goes over most people's heads entirely, but the foreshadowing is clear there. Lies within lies, and do we expect any less from the very embodiment of lies itself, the very genesis of untruth?

What does this mean for an expansion?

Belial is now sitting in the High Seat of the Angiris Council; good job, Nephalem, well done. Hold on to your butts, because the expansion will take place in a world where the High Heavens are under the command of a Lord of Hell.

After the Council votes once again on the fate of Humanity, naturally "Tyrael" changes his vote, and the scouring of Sanctury begins. It seems likely this will be revealed by Malael, the missing Archangel of Wisdom, whose seat "Tyrael" now occupies, who will lead the Nephalem through the events of the Expansion, fighting against Belial's powerful Nephalem minion Adria and the deceived Archangel of Valor Imperius. While dealing with the impending threat of Belial's deceived angels and "enlighted" demons on their genocidal rampage across the world, a sub-plot will surface: the creation of a new Worldstone, which Malael has been working on since the first was destroyed (he disappeared directly after the events of Diablo 2 LoD, and it's not entirely clear why: this is why).

In the end, it will be decided that living in a world without Terror, Destruction, Hatred, Sin, Pain and Agony is not worth the cost of a world ruled by Lies, with no Justice (an interesting commentary on modern society, is it not?). The Nephalem will thus seek out the Black Soulstone, breaking it open to unleash these forces back into the world and restore balance.

When we finally defeat Belial, he attempts to escape only to be confronted by the other Great Evils, royally pissed at Belial's betrayal. They drag him screaming back to Hell. The new Worldstone is set in place, resealing the barriers between Heaven, Hell, and Sanctuary, while once again suppressing the power of the vast majority of humans. Thus, at the end, the status-quo will be restored, a cold war between Heaven and Hell with mankind caught in between.

You give too much credit to the writing team. Look at the farcical storylines of the last few blizzard games and xpacs and you'll quickly realize that any sort of writing that has depth and is coherent is definitely out of their league.

Still, I like your theory
Vary nice, this is in interring ideal, I was concurred about how crappy the lord of lying was at lying, and how Adria was able to defeat Tyrael so easily.
but what if....are hero is Belial, what if he seeing your hero power, possessed him or her as the hero was heading to new Tristrum, and then crated the greatest lie of all, and told it to him self what if his powers were so grate he was able to lie to himself and thus convinced him self that he was the hero, so that by he, him self, believing that he was the hero, on one could figure out his deception because he him self could not, thus leading his incredibly power full host to slay his brothers, and weaken heaven at the same time, wheal becoming the most powerful being in creation, then with a member of the angle conceal on his side, he would use the well of eternity and bring the lick king back to life and, no Im just kidding lol I have no ideal what the hack is going on.
I liked the theory, but it has flaws like the others said, but that can REALLY worked upon to make a good story for D3X.

This is why I liked this theory:

06/24/2012 12:31 AMPosted by Flame
Would explain why Diablo never lied to us, huh.

But I think this theory is better, at least to me:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5888810253#10
Well if Tyrael was actually Belial, that doesn't really explain Eldruin, his sword, doing all those holy flashes of door unlocking power.
the coven had the sword shards in their Poisson at one point be for they killed cain, maybe they corrupted it then.
We just need to accept the fact that Belial was just as horribly written as Azmodan and Diablo.

Azmodan is a tactical genius who's nearly conquered the high heavens in his time and his plan in D3? "You destroyed my <insert previous quest objective>, but you will never destroy my <insert new quest objective>." Okay so not only does he never tactically retreat when his forces are overwhelmed, but he also tells us his next plan of action? Really?

To make the Belial <-> Tyrael switch actually work you have to make both Azmodan and Diablo some sort of ploy as well. I agree 100% that the switch would have been a good story arc, but it's something that should have been outlined in Act III.

Basically Act III should have been a fight against Belial and Azmodan together. These are lesser evils, much like Andariel and Duriel. Less powerful then the prime evils Mephisto, Baal, and Diablo. So Act III ending with the defeat of 2 lesser evils simultaneously is a better overall progression to fighting the most powerful evil being ever with Prime Diablo...

I mean all the way up to the end of Act IV the Nephalem has done absolutely nothing spectacular in comparison to the heroes in Diablo 2. When they got to Act IV they had already destroyed two lesser evils and a prime evil... When the Nephalem gets to Act IV they've destroyed just two lesser evils...
There are a couple of really good explanations on Azmodan's tacitly decision making, A wow player named something along the line of maelany or something, gave a grate explanation, basically saying that if you look at what he did before hand, it all makes senses, he told you his plans because he is the aspect of pride, he forced you to bring him the soul stone and had the keep surrounded, on its knees, he had his lesser evil ghome ruin the food supply, had unlimited reinforcements from hell, an almost unbreakable gate and the two towers of blah blah blah emboldening his troops and held back his best troops for the assault on heaven.
He only misjudged the strength of your hero, like the angles did.
he told you his plans because he is the aspect of pride.

If that was true, then he would have told the keep's defenders prior to attacking.

"Look at this massive army I have built up! Behold all my troops that are in range of your catapults and archers right now! Know that I am setting up my own catapults at this very moment, and they're better than yours! Your defeat is imminent because I also have troops tunneling underground, and Sin Hearts in Arreat Crater that can be easily accessed because there's really only one way to get there."

Try again.
lololololololol um no you can try agin.
Frist of he did not say anything about the hearts of sin, Adria's daughter had a vision and she then told you.
Second he only told her, this because she, had some of diablos essence power blah blah blah, in her, so he told her like he said, to deify her, by that he meant the lord of terror, he was saying hay spawn of diablo f you look what I'am doing hahahah.
He did not bother with the defenders because, they were just regular humans, not the lord of terror.
Third He did not say "I have troop tunneling under ground", you did not know this tell they were poring into the keeps strong hold.
So next time you make an incredibly inaccurate post, try, I don't know, having some ideal about what you're taking about, maybe ok.
lololololololol um no...
Frist of he...blah blah blah...I don't know...ok.

This argument has already been settled. [spoiler]not in your favor[/spoiler]

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5821662239

If you want to continue, meet me on that thread.

Next....

06/28/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Enkidu
We just need to accept the fact that Belial was just as horribly written as Azmodan and Diablo.

This is true. There are too many Belial conspiracy theories that cast him as Adria, Tyrael, or whoever else. Random thought: see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOX3NX4OTFs for a fairly well done Belial conspiracy theory video.

From what I gather, we all liked Belial, and we wish he was the villain he should have been.

Basically Act III should have been a fight against Belial and Azmodan together. These are lesser evils, much like Andariel and Duriel. Less powerful then the prime evils Mephisto, Baal, and Diablo. So Act III ending with the defeat of 2 lesser evils simultaneously is a better overall progression to fighting the most powerful evil being ever with Prime Diablo...

I mean all the way up to the end of Act IV the Nephalem has done absolutely nothing spectacular in comparison to the heroes in Diablo 2. When they got to Act IV they had already destroyed two lesser evils and a prime evil... When the Nephalem gets to Act IV they've destroyed just two lesser evils...

Lesser Evils are NOT less powerful then Prime Evils, this has been pointed out so many times. Don't get confused by this "lesser" and "prime" stuff.

And btw, just because the Nephalem has "only" defeated 2 lesser evils instead of 2 lesser and 1 prime, he has done "absolutely nothing spectacular in comparison to the heroes in Diablo 2"? :D This made me laugh a bit, sorry.

As for the theories: I like them, because I had high hopes of Belial and he turned out pretty.. crappy for now. Would be awesome to see such a storytwist.
if i were the Lord of lies, the aspect of deception (Since lying is one with deception).

Then i would dupe everyone into thinking a certain demon was Belial the lord of lies while hiding myself away or among enemy lines.

You should delve in what it is to truly deceive.

Were i to be the lord of lies, none would find me, and the only way to find and destroy or at least capture the lord of lies, is the be able to shatter the veil. Peirce through lies with truth.

Only truth can destroy the lord of lies and blizzard knows that, all of you can say whatever and give all sorts of arguments and "proofs" invalidating that.

But the fact remains that deception cannot be beholden to anything but absolute truth.