Rakanoth suggestions.

Wizard
Anyone? I can beat every other boss without too much trouble, but rakanoth kicks my !@#. How to survive his teleport charge?
bump
Very simple. The teleport attack is completely unavoidable and its damage can't be mitigated.

Pop mirror images or fracture decoys when you see him prepare for teleport.
Hope for a good RNG roll. Success is Rakanoth instagibbing a decoy, failure - instagibbing you.
Repeat until you have rolled as many successes as you need for killing him.

Or get lots of dex gear and pray for dodge.
If you have good enough gear you can go all-out DPS with archon and kill him before he teleports.
I don't see how is this possible as every single time I have battled him, he always opened with instagib attack, right after "cutscene".
Even with 5 images he charges me 80% of the time. Stupid fight.
Go in with low health and ancestral guardian on and keep him off you screen the whole time kiting around the edges.
06/21/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Scharnvirk
I don't see how is this possible as every single time I have battled him, he always opened with instagib attack, right after "cutscene".

I haven't tried him after patch, but I could do it consistently before. He didn't teleport to me for the first 10 seconds or so.
Thanks that worked great knowing! Got him 2nd try doing that, kind of a lame strat, but meh lame strat for a lame boss.

As for how early he charges, about half the time he seemed to do it right away other half about 10 secs in, not sure what determined which.
Rakanuts only teleports when you're out of range of him, to avoid said teleports stay close to him and keep mirror image(duplicates) up as much as possible. Also, the first teleport(after the cutscene) was because you didn't get close to him fast enough.
06/21/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Scharnvirk
Very simple. The teleport attack is completely unavoidable and its damage can't be mitigated.

Quite untrue.

If you teleport right after he starts his teleport animation, he will teleport to where you were, and miss.

That is how you beat Rakanoth without cheesing him.
Can your force armor absorb his teleport attack? It counts as melee attack so add Blur (will test this tonight). After he ports, drop hydra and teleport away.

Or you can try to stay close. He will still melee you, in addition to the spawns...

06/21/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Scharnvirk
The teleport attack is completely unavoidable and its damage can't be mitigated

False. It is subject to the same damage mitigation as everything else. Raise your armor and physical resist high enough and you can probably survive the hit.

False. It is subject to the same damage mitigation as everything else. Raise your armor and physical resist high enough and you can probably survive the hit.

You need a pretty ludicrous amount of defenses to survive it though. Wasn't even close when I was trying with 5.5k armor and 60k HP with Force Armor (not amazing stats but still).

Best way is to just teledodge it rather than gear up for just one fight :)
06/21/2012 04:33 PMPosted by aimlessgun
Best way is to just teledodge it rather than gear up for just one fight :)

How do you stay close enough to see his attack animations and still far enough to prevent spawns?
06/21/2012 03:52 PMPosted by kn0wing
Go in with low health and ancestral guardian on and keep him off you screen the whole time kiting around the edges.

Does he still spawn adds if he's off screen post 1.03?
I've been doing Rakanoth without any cheese method for a while now:

- put on a good shield
- take off glass canon
- take blur
- take crystal shield diamond skin
- wormhole teleport
- illusionist
- have enough hp / resist (I had 35k hp / 600 physical resists which was enough)
- have some HP regen
- use venom hydra

The idea is throw a hydra near you, wait for his charge. With full hp you can survive his hit (you'll be down to about 10-15% hp). Wormhole away and he'll be dancing with your hydra taking damage. When he comes for you, repeat. This way his adds will never spawn, you won't get 1-shot, and he'll die eventually to hydra (doesn't take long).

Managing your potion timer / diamond skin CD is important:
1. If your diamond skin is on CD and you know you're gonna get charged, make sure you potion to full hp
2. If your potion is on CD and you're not full health, you will need diamond skin

This works incredibly well, you can throw in Guardian faerie in for safety.

No need to cheese the 35% no regen way.