Ideas to Make Diablo 3 Survive for a Decade!

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 14 Next
one of the best and most constructive posts on the forum!

1. Login
2. Stare at my toon and think “Man, he basically looks like every other Monk i’ve seen”
3. Check Auction House
4. Frown
5. Start a game or join a public game if I’m feeling saucy
6. Kill 5-10 Elites
7. Get 7 Level 55 Rares and a bunch of trash blues.
8. Don’t even bother with a boss
9. Die, because I’m bored and not paying attention to Arcane lasers
10. Look and my repair bill, and then just exit the game.

Yup!
very good post.

blizzard has changed; the games it *releases* have changed..for the worse. blizz has a great history and i have faith they will pull through

...i just hope they stop making hasty/silly decisions and fix d3 (as well as their own image) before the currently loyal playerbase bails. they can do this by playing the game themselves all the way through, like its fans do...not just to for thorough 'testing.'
There are lots of good stuff comming from the community, you can even find some good ideas "inside" some rage posts, you just need to "translate" them. But this post is so awesome and lets keep bumping it so blues can read about those little motivation :P
Your write up was amazing Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. (Looking forward to part 3). Blizzard REALLY needs to read through your thoughts or hire you. haha

I would actually enjoy logging in to play if your ideas were taken into consideration and implemented into the current game. I have done my level 60 grind and got bored / frustrated in Act II of inferno. I feel forced to seek the Auction House. This really takes the fun out. Diablo II was where it was at.

Thanks again Jeff. At least I can now imagine the perfect D3 game. Brilliant!
Did the reading, definently worth it.
Again, most of what I read are game mechanics I thought would've been in-game prior to release, for example the Selective Drop Diversity.

+1 to OP for making this presentable document
Thanks for "Highly Rated" Status!
Thank you and well written. I agree with you and this is why:

us.ancientbattle.net
I have the same feeling in this game as I do in Starcraft 2. It's that disconnected feeling -- "Where is everyone?" Something seems to have happened here a long time ago... look at the remains!

Competition drives us. The desire to be better than someone else pushes us to succeed and exceed. Every aspect of life feeds from that.

Top salesman in your company.
More ripped than your friend.
A nicer car to show off.
"I bet I can eat 10 of the hottest wings they have here."
SPORTS?
etc.

Diablo 3 is devoid of all of this. This is a massive issue, because I think a lot of people seek this type of glory in video games due to it being an unreachable goal in real life! Everyone is mostly on equal footing in video games. The billionaire's spoiled son starts at level 1 with a rusty dagger the same as everyone else.

I'd like to compare my character with other people's characters ON A MASS SCALE in terms of monsters killed, hours played, legendary items dropped, how many times bosses have been killed, etc. As it is I feel like these cool stats are going wasted and my "achievements" are severely lacking. I personally hate achievements. I've never looked at them other than a random click when I get one from time to time, but I understand the concept. I want more concrete numbers.

A LADDER SYSTEM is great for providing a simple desire. I was one of those people that didn't read up on the game before I played it (I hate watching movie previews, because they always seem to ruin the movie). I first realized that the level cap was 60 when I hit level 60. My first question was, "But what about the ladder? How are we going to know who the most dedicated players are?" Whether you marvel at their dedication or mock their lack of having a life, you still appreciate the ladder in your own way.

Battle.net was the coolest thing on the Internet when it first came out and for many years after. I remember the difficulty of trying to dial into someone else's computer to play 1v1 Warcraft. My first great Blizzard love was Starcraft though. I had friends and peers from school that I played with, even ones that I didn't like, such as the weird kid that never says a lot in person but has a different personality online. We had our own chatroom that we would congregate in. Final Fantasy 7 was still fresh in our hearts and minds so our chatroom was named Lifestream, and we all had characters beginning with Jen0va. Wow, that was really fun. We were in high school.

Fast forward 12 years.
I didn't get Starcraft 2 until 2012. I didn't want it taking over my life, because SC1 was such an amazing game. If I had bought it when it released, that would have never been an issue. Imagine how disappointed I was when I logged into Battle.net for the first time in years years expecting a thriving community that had evolved so much over 14 years. I was devastated. At first I thought I was doing something wrong. Where are the chat rooms that I was so used to from SC1, WC3, Diablo 2...?

I spend 99.5% of my time playing solo in Diablo 3 due to game mechanics that encourage it.
Shared MF is one of the most punishing. I invested a lot of time and money into my MF gear. Why would I want to water it down? Shared loot is gone. Why exchange it for shared MF? I've never seen anyone comment, "I want to go play with others so they can benefit from my magic find." It's EXTREMELY frustrating to play with 2 friends who have <25 MF and you have 250. Why? Because the THREE TIMES that I have done it since launch (Yes THREE TIMES I played with my friends.) my teammates got more rare drops than I did (Ya RNG and all that jazz. Statistically, we should have gotten the same over a large sample). My watered down MF benefited them tremendously while hurting me equally.

Sad Story: I started playing Diablo 3 with a couple of guys right at launch. We had intended on building different characters so we could dominate and find awesome gear together. Unfortunately, that never happened. We all solo and 'instant message' each other when we find something. Usually, the messages are with links to items that are laughable, such as an il63 wizard only wand with 250 str/150dex/230dps.

I have only played Starcraft 2 once since D3 launched, and it was during a server downtime. The disconnected feeling didn't make me want to play it. I feel like too many people are in the 'waiting for the next big thing' stage in their D3 experience currently. What game is going to rescue them from the doldrums?

It's hard to follow up huge successes like Starcraft and Diablo 2 with sequels that deliver. Diablo 3 seems to be the Terminator 3 of the franchise. It's "OK".

This game went through too much Beta to be assaulted with nerf after nerf within the first 45 days. It blows my mind.

I wanted to reply with more than just 'Agreed. ^' to your post to show that the game is having a negative impact on a lot of people, and it is more than just 'whining'.
BUMP

Everything Jeff said is true.

Regards
I would like to see a special class of items that aren't available to players that play casually.

People who spend Real Money can still acquire the items necessary to faceroll the game, but to acquire the truly best and coolest items, you need to work, farm, and trade. No checkbooks
About the pvp system:

Just give players the different options, the more the better, so they can choose how to pvp.

In partcicular id like to see something like:

- If a player wants to ladder pvp he should be able to, both sc and hc, repair penalti on sc, death penalti on hc.

- If a player wants just to practice he should be able to, with NO penalties, both sc & hc.

- If a player wants to bet on his gold or gear on a pvp combat (or even death on hc), he should be able to, both hc and sc. Players could agree on what kind of penalties they face case they loose the figth, something like "life or gear" duel or both on hc.

To sum up, just give players a wide spectrum of options and let them decide what suits them more.
Thats more less what happened on D2, given some game mechanics players arranged themselves on what to do and how to do it.
Freedom to choose is the key.
Jeff I like your enthusiasm. You have the drive that the company formally known as Blizzard used to have.

I need to give you a reality check though (don't stop your drive for quality though).

Blizzard is not the company you grew up loving. They have been merged and are now part of a larger business strategy that is dictated not by what gamers want, but by what will get the numbers up at the next shareholder meeting.

the folks calling the shots do not care about you or me. They are removed from these sorts of complaints or ideas.

There is only 1 reason and 1 reason only that Activision Blizzard took D3 off the shelf and brought it to market--the idea of a RMAH. Period. The rest of the game was thrown together. Sure Jay might be able to change the color of a tooltip or fix a few login bugs (if it's within approved budget), but he has no say in basic design features or how much resources he can spend fixing things. Those decisions are made by folks that do not play video games.

Keep the fresh ideas coming--but understand who you are talking to. There are some game companies out there that will actually listen to good ideas.

Believe me I work in the software acquisition business and I sit in meetings with software execs from start ups to huge corporation controlled divisions. Honestly, don't waste your time/talent with Blizzard.
Wow I am loving this.
You have probably already seen this but here is another well thought out article more on whats wrong with activision as a whole
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252
Kerbo, you just broke my heart
From thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5870127592

If you know the past, you will know the future. This is a TL;DR history lesson. So L2R, and listen.

Once upon a time there was a small game studio called Blizzard Entertainment, run by CEO Mike Morhaime and his merry band of gaming executives. They teamed up with an independent studio called Condor Games to develop a little game called Diablo. Just before releasing the game, Blizzard bought Condor Games, although it remained its own studio, and it was renamed Blizzard North. The collaboration of Blizzard Entertainment and Blizzard North gave us the games Diablo, Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD. These games became cultishly popular and spawned a new genre, emblazoning Blizzard in the history of video games forever.

While Blizzard North often gets all the credit, without Blizzard Entertainment’s creative direction and overall management, you never would have heard of these games. It was Blizzard Entertainment that seized the moment, leveraging the creativity of Blizzard North to the fullest and managing the incredible, unanticipated response to the game. Everyone was at their best then, and it was a golden age.

They were passionate about their games in the extreme, and they had fun making them in the extreme. And this is essentially why we had such a blast playing them and why they were so successful.

Yet, the games were not a great financial success, not really due to mismanagement but because it was something that had never been done before, and the response was incredible. All credit to Mike and his team for merely surviving let alone succeeding.

Here is where the story becomes tragic. Blizzard’s need for capital combined with their acclaim and fanbase attracts the interest of a corporate shark. Along comes Robert Kotick, the CEO of Activision (which he acquired in a similar manner). It is his idea to merge Activision with Blizzard, with him as the CEO and under his express vision for the company, and have Activision Blizzard be bought out by Vivendi, a huge media conglomerate. He is to usher in a new era of video game production based solely on fiscal viability. Mike Morhaime and Blizzard Entertainment go along. Vivendi buys majority stock of the merged Activision Blizzard under Kotick’s rule. Kotick receives $3.2 million just for brokering the deal. His salary starts at $1 million per year, and that was a decade ago.

Kotick abandons the Diablo and Starcraft franchises, and dissolves Blizzard North. At that time, he gets rid of anyone who will not yield to his corporate vision. The guys at Blizzard North (Max and Erich Schaefer, David Brevik) wanted some say in the direction of the company and the games they produce. This was not to be had by Kotick – they were forced out, and almost all of Blizzard North was either forced out or left, en masse. Blizzard North was then dissolved.

This was the end of Blizzard as we knew it, the end of the Diablo and Starcraft franchises, and in fact, the end of an era.

Diablo 3 was already in development by Blizzard North at the time, and had Blizzard North and the franchise been preserved, we would have been playing Diablo 3 almost a decade ago. We’d be on to Diablo 6 by now. Kotick did not like the game’s dark and controversial style. It was his idea to sterilize everything and make the games accessible to a wider audience.

It was Kotick’s intention to focus only on franchises which “have the potential to be exploited every year”, calling this business strategy “annualizable” or “narrow and deep”. Narrow indeed. In his estimation, the Diablo and Starcraft franchises were not annualizable, so they were scrapped.

Kotick’s vision was to institute a corporate culture focused entirely on profits. He is quoted as saying that video games should be sold like toilet paper and soap. He brought many employees into his video game studio from the packaged goods industry. He is quoted as saying his goal was to take all the fun out of making video games. He is quoted as saying he never liked video games, and just didn’t understand their appeal. He has stated his intention to instill “skepticism, pessimism, and fear” of the economic downturn into his employees as a means of controlling them.

The games put out by Blizzard now, the employees and the corporate culture, are a product of Kotick’s philosophy and vision. Just as the passion and fun of making the original Diablos translated directly to the passion and fun of playing them, so does Kotick’s “take all the fun out of making games”, toilet paper philosophy translate to us.

The future of Blizzard is uncertain. The “annualizable” paid subscription model they are invested in is giving way, and WoW will probably be the last. They are having a hard time showing where future growth is coming from. The stock is not doing well despite record sales of Diablo 3, there is certainly bad PR, and legal and governmental action potentially banning the game or the RMAH in major markets. They have recently made inroads into mobile iOS and Android versions of their games as a means of staying relevant in the future and encouraging a rebound of the stock.

As far as Diablo 3 goes, they do not view it as annualizable, it is more of a fast, much needed cash grab. It is a life jacket - without these sales of Diablo 3, things would be looking grim over at Blizzard. Since the franchise is not slated for future growth, investing in continued development of Diablo 3 is not a top priority.

It is not all bad news. I think the future is very bright for gamers, especially PC gamers. The industry has learned from Blizzard’s successes and failures. Runic games has shown us a small and tight business model where top quality games can be produced in reasonable timeframes on reasonable budgets. We will see many new game studios following this approach. This is much more conducive to producing quality games than the toilet paper thing. You have studios like CD Projeckt Red releasing games with no DRM whatsoever - you own that sh*t. The industry is getting the message.

And if Activision Blizzard is sold, which is a possibility considering Vivendi’s circumstances, or the management of Blizzard is changed, I believe development on the Diablo franchise will continue with an understanding of D3’s failures, and an equal focus on both the quality of the game and it’s fiscal viability. And we might just get the true successor to the Diablo series.

This again points to the fact that this game is a shell of what it was supposed to be.
ka bump