Out of mana frequently? Check this build out!

Witch Doctor
Just to preface here are my stats

HP: ~50k
DPS: ~50k
Armor: ~3500
Resist All: ~400
Mana Regen: 0
+Mana: 0

http://tinypic.com/r/2edzhpi/6

Some people were curious so here is my gear

http://tinypic.com/r/2lkwg95/6

I've recently noticed that the price of all gear with Mana related stats has skyrocketed because of the popularity of skills like Acid Rain, Dire Bats and Zombie Charger and the new "WD Tank" style builds.

This is a build for those who have no mana regen or +mana stat on any gear. It relies on heavy kiting and map awareness, as you cannot face tank like alot of WD's have recently started doing. Don't let the challenge scare you though, as you have many defensive skills at your disposal to keep you up and running (literally :P)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bZUXRk!WXV!aaZZZa

Reasons for Primary skill choices

Spirit Walk ("Honoured Guest" Rune, +15% mana)

This one is pretty obvious, use Spirit Walk to get out of sticky situations and the mana rune ensures that you are NEVER Out of mana. I've tried Jaunt and Healing Journey, but with longer champ encounters (i.e. invisible snakes with shielding) you end up OOM.

Hex ("Jinx" Rune, 20% extra damage)

Hex is a great defensive skill that grows in power as you start picking off minions. I have saved myself from death countless times with this skill and I dont run any build without it. By the time you get down to the last champion or elite it is basically the best WD skill available. Use it during an enemies attack animation and most stop dead in their tracks. Having the extra damage rune just means that stuff will melt even faster, this is a good thing :P.

Horrify ("Stalker" Rune, +20% movement speed for 4 seconds)

Another "panic button". I look at it like a combination of Hex and Spirit Walk, I get to CC mobs for a short period and the boost in movement speed helps with Kiting and escapes. This is also your "play around" slot. Sometimes, depending on mood, I will replace this with something like Fetish Army or Soul Harvest, but for every day MF this one is my standard. A great defensive skill with good synergy with your other skills, it WILL save you.

Wall of Zombies ("Barricade" Rune, Longer Wall)

I see MANY people saying that the Lower Movement Speed rune is the way to go with this skill, but I disagree. Having a longer wall lets me use alot more chokes that I could not use with the other walls. Also, If you place it perfectly in open space, many mobs will not run around it like they will with the other walls. And finally, the longer wall provides a much larger AOE damage zone. For those of you that don’t know, outside of being an awesome CC skill, Zombie Wall is a DOT skill that actually does quite a bit of AOE damage. Word to the wise: A bigger wall equates to bigger damage.

Corpse Spiders (“Leaping Spiders" Rune, longer range attack +3%damage)

This is my primary damage dealing spell. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the long start up frames for the attack animation, but that’s it. Other than that I LOVE this skill. It allows you to attack around corners with no line of sight and leave “spider mine fields” for enemies to be dragged through. Accuracy becomes unimportant with this build, just toss jars in the general direction and let them go to work. Not only do the spiders give comparable single target DPS to Poison Darts, the attacks come so fast they add to your already potent CC build, staggering them as they approach you. Since I started using this as a primary over splinters, I cannot look at poison darts the same. I know it’s a cheesy line, but as far as I’m concerned, once you go corpse spiders, you never go back.

Grasp of the Dead (“Unbreakable Grasp" Rune, +20% Movement Speed Reduction)

This one is pretty obvious; make sure that this skill is ALWAYS on cool down (don’t worry, you won’t run out of mana). Place them a little in front of the enemy pack to ensure that they get the full brunt of the movement speed reduction. You COULD replace this with the shorter cool down rune, but this actually does nothing in terms of Crowd Control because the total movement speed reduction over time is the same, just your damage output increases. Basically the lower CD rune just lets you do more damage with more mana, and you know how I feel about mana :P

Reasons for Passive skill choices

Pierce the Veil

Easily the most used passive for the WD, you would have to be some kind of hero to not want to use this.

Hmm, will I have 40k dps or 50k dps… Yeah I think I’ll go with 50k, thanks for asking!

Spirit Vessel

This is probably the second most used passive for the WD, and for good reason. I look at it as having a “free man” or extra life every 90 seconds. Pair this with the slight CD reductions on Spirit Walk and Horrify and you’ve got yourself one hell of a defensive passive.

Blood Ritual

Now, you may be asking yourself “why does he choose blood ritual over spiritual attunement?” and that’s a perfectly normal question. The fact is, Spiritual Attunement may actually be better for your stats, however, once you get as much life as me, the amount of health regen provided outweighs the extra mana regen you get from SA. At 50k health it gives me 500 life/sec. The reason I prefer the health regen over mana regen is simple – Reflects Damage. When combined with a little regen from gear and the templar (solo), you are looking at about 1k Health Regen/sec. This will keep most people from turning themselves to dust while attacking a Reflects Damage pack.

Tips

When Spirit Vessel is not on CD, play fast and bold. Take risks that may get you killed at the expense of a dps or MF boost. Things like goblin chasing and trash skipping comes to mind.

Don’t pop all of your CC at once, I use mine one at a time depending on the severity of the attack. This way, if something manages to slip through one line of defence, I have another trick up my sleeve.

When you get down to a final elite mob, yellow or blue, stack hex, wall, grasp and spiders on him. Don’t kite anymore, just stand and burn him where he is to maximise single target dps.

Movement Speed on boots is pretty much a must with any kiting build, even if it is at the expense of dps or ehp. Anything 10% or over will do.

Regenerate Health is a bonus stat as you won’t get any benefit from LOH procs with spiders. I have a total of about 300 from gear, not that expensive if you just look for a little bit on each piece of armor.

Well there it is, go have some fun. Come back and tell me how it works for you, or what you have done to improve upon it.
Dude, HOW MANY attacks per second are you running to need honored guest and blood ritual with a spiders build? 9!?
lol
06/26/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Necrosade
Dude, HOW MANY attacks per second are you running to need honored guest and blood ritual with a spiders build? 9!?

I've tried without blood ritual, I can do most packs but reflects will give me more trouble then I want and the extra mana helps big time when you are keeping all of your skills on CD.

Also keep in mind that I have no +mana or mana regen on any gear and I'm using a passive that increases mana cost by 30%
PtV makes mana drain over time a big issue when using GotD and Wall without regen on gear.

Nice build! I like it a lot. How's the damage compared to, say, Darts (since you've used it)? Been experimenting a lot with 0-regen/infinite sustain nuking builds since the patch, currently: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ZgUXRj!WUf!aZaYab

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean overall damage performance given correct play, not just the skill.
I find Haunt with the 30% slow rune to be perfect for kitting elites/champions. You just need to cast it every 12secs, so there is plenty of time to regen mana.

That skill has really improved my kitting.
I find Haunt with the 30% slow rune to be perfect for kitting elites/champions. You just need to cast it every 12secs, so there is plenty of time to regen mana.

That skill has really improved my kitting.

This is actually one of the skills I replace Horrify with sometimes, you just need to be more carefull managing your mana. I agree that it helps tonnes with kiting.
PtV makes mana drain over time a big issue when using GotD and Wall without regen on gear.

Nice build! I like it a lot. How's the damage compared to, say, Darts (since you've used it)? Been experimenting a lot with 0-regen/infinite sustain nuking builds since the patch, currently: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ZgUXRj!WUf!aZaYab

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean overall damage performance given correct play, not just the skill.

I actually find the total damage output to be higher than the average darts build because of the accuracy required by darts. I can toss jars in a wide range of places surrounding a mob and know that it will do 100% of the damage. With darts you need to be much more accurate. The only problem with spiders is that focus firing becomes an impossibility, so you need to be careful to clear any elites and trash before trying to burn down a goblin.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gZWeUk!WVX!aaccaZ

No VQ.. No OOM.. As long as you're not an idiot. If you have weak resists and armor, your can switch out PtV for Jungle Fortitude.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gZWeUk!WVX!aaccaZ

No VQ.. No OOM.. As long as you're not an idiot. If you have weak resists and armor, your can switch out PtV for Jungle Fortitude.

Nice looking build, however I'm not a fan of toads. I find that the damage from Toads can be inconsistant and is very bad for single targets. They also are not very good in chokes because they hit off of the envirionment and explode for 0 damage, so you gotta try to stay in open fields, but that will leave you more open to attack and reduce the effectiveness of things like Wall.
Hex ("Jinx" Rune, 20% extra damage)Hex is a great defensive skill that grows in power as you start picking off minions. I have saved myself from death countless times with this skill and I dont run any build without it. By the time you get down to the last champion or elite it is basically the best WD skill available. Use it during an enemies attack animation and most stop dead in their tracks. Having the extra damage rune just means that stuff will melt even faster, this is a good thing :P.

Just wanted to comment briefly on this reasoning: the packs get exponentially easier as you pick off members with any build. It's probably more important to get the ball started on rolling down that curve, than to accelerate it more as it's hitting freefall.

That said: Hex+Jinx does serve *that* goal pretty well, by letting you get that +20% dmg bonus, while (temporarily) making it easier to nuke things.
06/26/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Jubai
The only problem with spiders is that focus firing becomes an impossibility, so you need to be careful to clear any elites and trash before trying to burn down a goblin.

Yeah, i havent been able to kill a goblin since i changed to Spiders. Not good, but i can kill elites twice as fast (and kill some i wasnt able to before).
Just wanted to comment briefly on this reasoning: the packs get exponentially easier as you pick off members with any build. It's probably more important to get the ball started on rolling down that curve, than to accelerate it more as it's hitting freefall.

That said: Hex+Jinx does serve *that* goal pretty well, by letting you get that +20% dmg bonus, while (temporarily) making it easier to nuke things.

So what would you replace it with, keeping the mana restictions in mind?
but what gear u have to get those initial stats bro
06/26/2012 11:17 AMPosted by g74r

Nothing special, really.

I just stack INT, VIT, Armor, and Res. I have pretty much no crit chance or crit damage on any gear (3.5 from bracers, thats all). I have IAS on rings, gloves, and ammy. Other than that, its pure int stack. I have 2200 base int.

Most expensive peice is probably the weap and its just a standard 1k dps blue one hander, 5Mish.
06/26/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Jubai

Nothing special, really.

Link please...
I am running that exact build :P

I have 20k less health that you and 20k less dps as well, still trying to find a nice one hander for a reasonable price :(

I use the extra armor rune with horrify and Jaunt with SW though, I have mana regen on my weapon.

Build works pretty well for me in Acts 1 and 2, I need more dps and health for act 3 though, currently taking too long to kill elite packs.

Nice to see someone else using this build successfully at the higher acts, gives me hope :)
Alright, posted my gear in the OP for those who are curious.
I Love this build! mostly cuz i can actually put it to use completely at only lvl 45. I only do 3k dps atm tho :/. Just always lookin for advice that's forsure tho. So Thank You!
06/26/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Jubai
Nice looking build, however I'm not a fan of toads. I find that the damage from Toads can be inconsistant and is very bad for single targets. They also are not very good in chokes because they hit off of the envirionment and explode for 0 damage, so you gotta try to stay in open fields, but that will leave you more open to attack and reduce the effectiveness of things like Wall.

You're correct. In that case I'd switch em out for Leaping Spiders.