New Stuttering Workaround!

Technical Support
Prev 1 9 10 11 19 Next
Omrakos
Support Forum Agent

Edited by Omrakos on 5/29/12 5:33 PM (PDT)

" Three performance-related issues in Diablo III seem to be centered around using the Vsync setting in the in-game video options, disk asset loading stutters, and a possible overheating issue.

Vsync: Vsync stuttering is normally caused by a machine being unable to maintain 60fps, falling behind and then alternating between 30fps and 60fps. When this is the cause, the player may want to limit the frame rate to 30fps, or reduce system and graphical settings. Ongoing optimizations by the developers will also help on this front.

Disk loading stutters: We’re working on the disk asset loading stutters as well. In an upcoming patch, some of the prefetching in the game is being changed which should help with the stuttering.

Overheating: There are some people having what appear to be video driver resets leading to long pauses as Diablo III reloads assets and then resumes playing. We're working to reproduce the issue internally. For now, we believe it could be due to the video card (GPU) overheating. Many users have addressed this on their own by limiting the frame rate and underclocking their GPUs.

The developers are making incremental improvements to address these issues. These will be rolled out across future patches."

They posted this TWO months ago. How far in the future are we talkin?

"SOON" Trademark.
What helped me some is that I got a large flash drive and put it in a USB port - make sure it's at least 8 GB and there are no files on it. If you get a 4 GB flash drive, it only uses 1 GB of its memory.

Then, run the Ready Boost program in Win 7 - don't know if that program is in XP or Vista. You can find it through the search feature when you click the Start button.

That program will put a ready boost CFG file (about 1 MB) on the flash drive, and from then on will use about 4 GB memory from the flash drive when you play the game.

It didn't eliminate all the rubberbanding/stuttering for me, but it helped decrease the number of times it happened.

Also, I think there was a hotfix recently that greatly improved the rubberbanding problem (or even eliminated it) - mine is completely gone, and I disconnected the flash drive.

Good luck.
SixSixSix, did you initially had D3 on HDD or SSD?
A simple response on the issue would be nice, even a "it's taking longer than expected" or similar, just let us know it's actually getting worked on. I haven't been able to have fun playing D3 for a couple months now because the stuttering drives me crazy. The stupid thing imo, is that it ran perfectly smooth before 1.03 on even max settings, now it doesn't matter if I go minimum settings or max settings, I still get frame stutter.
08/20/2012 11:21 AMPosted by UnlikelyHero
A simple response on the issue would be nice, even a "it's taking longer than expected" or similar, just let us know it's actually getting worked on. I haven't been able to have fun playing D3 for a couple months now because the stuttering drives me crazy. The stupid thing imo, is that it ran perfectly smooth before 1.03 on even max settings, now it doesn't matter if I go minimum settings or max settings, I still get frame stutter.

Before the game hit the 1.03 patch I played Diablo 3 DAY AND NIGHT on the highest settings, now like you no matter what my settings are at I get this annoying stutter, cant enjoy the game like I did before, it's very sad.... for all of us....
Tried something new today..... I already have a 8 gig SD card with the D3 HQs folder running on it but i was thinking.... What about windows ready boost? My machine only has 4 Gigs of ram so I went out and got a 4 gig stick. When I got home ran all 4 gigs as ready boost for windows, I suffer mostly from assets loading stutters so thought this might help, the last hour playing with ready boost mem sticks greatly improved my stutters, still there but at least I could enjoy an hour of D3....

Edit: Sorry didn't realize someone posted this fix a few posts up from me...
Nothing in the patch 1.0.4 notes about a possible stutter fix.

*cries*
Regarding the opening post, I'm amazed that an alleged professional would recommend something like that. That advice is practically voodoo magic and placebo effect.

Why not tell us to hang lucky rabbit feet on the mainboard?
1.0.4 did nothing.

They locked the thread for this issue in the bug forum:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834509?page=32#631

There is truly no hope for us now. I am going to uninstall and try to pretend this game never happened.
From that Thread.
"As Graysdir has mentioned several times, this is not the same as the "loading assets" issue. We were able to reproduce this issue after verifying that 100% of our assets have loaded."

I copied the hole Game ( Diablo III ) in a Ramdrive NO CHANGE.

After Patch 1.0.4. the game often stutters. I have 150!! FPS but still this Anoying Stuttering/fame skipping frame only drop to 70-90FPS but its VERY noticeable. Its like someone just pause the game for a few ms.
I cannot think of anyone that I know, that plays this game, that is not suffering from this problem. And I love Blizzards fix.... limit your card to 30 FPS. Well, why the hell did we pay hundreds of dollars for a good video card if we just limit it??

That is like buying a Audi A8 v10 and just saying "take out the spark plugs to 5 cylinders to make the car run better". What a load of crap.

I really hope they take this seriously and fix the problem. I have been very patient and very conservative of my reactions since May. But it may be time to just say 'no more Blizzard games'.. just like I have stopped buying Ubisoft games for the same crap reasons.

I have some hope for this game still.. But the hope is starting to Fade.
FIX THIS STUPID STUTTERING OMG
Guys, its not the game, it's us... Sad Face
Still have stuttering issues, above didn't help.

Intel Core i7-2600K
Asus P67 Sabertooh R3
Asus GTX 670 301.42
WD caviar black ITB 7200rpm
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB ddr3 1600
CORSAIR HX 750HX PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Is this cuased by my Mechanical drive? Perhaps I should stick diablo 3 on my windows drive that has a SSD at 300mbs a sec, would this fix my issue?

My PC is the following.
Intel I5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz
Asus Sabertooth P67 1155 B3 Revision
Asus 570 Direct CU II 1280MB
G-skill sniper 16GB DDR3 1866
G-skill sniper 120GB SSD
Western Digital 7200RPM 500GB
Cooler master real power pro 750W PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
06/30/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Kaltonis
In the meanwhile, I'll pass this information on to the devs so that hopefully more changes can be made on our end to reduce stuttering. Thank you!
in the other meanwhile, you can pass it on to the windows devs that everything about searching in windows sucks.

the little dog is looking quite helpful in comparison to what garbage they shipped with win7.
try this but didnt work FPS still goes up and down..sigh
Hi Kaltonis,

This work-around does not have any positive benefit for any of my 3 PCs that are all experiencing stuttering / frame skipping.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834509

That's my thread - Kaltonis, please ask your developers to investigate, because it happens on all 3 of my PCs that all far exceed minimum specs; in fact, one of them is a beast of a PC and should run this game flawlessly, but it is a jittery, stuttering mess! I have a dozen games installed on these 3 PCs and Diablo is the ONLY one with this type of hitching.

It's poor coding behind the game itself... nothing to do with anyone's rig =/ I can run any game fully cranked with my beast of a rig...BUT diablo 3. They'll sort it out later rather than sooner prolly(as this would take several massive patches with a re-write in coding in several areas....game was rushed-ish)but hopefully at least eventually.