Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 45 Next
Warden is smart enough to know you aren't using Windows.
That's funny. Last I checked OSX was unix based and Macs are supported. Imagine that.

All you people saying it isn't supported need to quit posting here. It "isn't supported" in that you can't get any technical support should the game not run on your non-supported OS.

There are lots and LOTS of people that use Wine just fine for gaming and it works just fine.

Read the other threads,man. Despite originating in the same family the differences are there. The issue is with an occasional "hiccup" in mem allocation - OSX does not have that issue. Warden pickups on the "hiccup" and in its wisdom thinks it's another program trying to access the same mem space - aka hack.

Right. I wasn't defending Blizz. I was defending the Linux users :D I played WoW on Ubuntu for years.

My guess is that maybe there are some botting tools running on Linux but I very seriously doubt they would be using Wine... hence why using Wine shouldn't cause you to get banned.
Surprised they aren't offering refunds or account unbans. When this same thing happened in wow a few years ago, they banned quite a few people, but eventually made it right
07/02/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Alerius
Surprised they aren't offering refunds or account unbans. When this same thing happened in wow a few years ago, they banned quite a few people, but eventually made it right

Because the playerbase of complaints probably isn't big enough
Whatever Blizzard is smoking I want some
Meanwhile actual botting goes 100% unpunished.

You should have been using RMAH. No way they would have banned you then.
Can the people saying "not supported = ban" get a F. clue??

Not supported = don't complain if the game breaks down or doesn't work as designed.
Not permitted = we'll ban your !@# if you do X.
07/02/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Glassfist

Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It's actually just an open source implementation of the Windows API. So there should be theoretically no difference, except that one is free.

Open source windows? No way to really track things? Sounds bannable to me.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Here's a question to anyone saying that if its unsupported it should be banned. What about everyone running under the minimum recommended system requirements, should they be banned too? I know for a fact Blizzard won't support people running below the minimum requirements.
never tried linux but you just need to rememebr one thing when playing games from corporations/ compnaies like blizzard: in the end its a company... and companys are pretty dumb. it may make sense to you because you are smart but companys have no room for common sense.... i have seen countless games have patches implemented to fix problems they didnt actually fix.... companys prefer unthinking solutions because lets face it.... they are unable to adequatly think for themselves. truth is the average gamer could run most games BETTER then the company that made them, why?, because thye play the game and know the problem explicitly compared to programmers who read bug reports do minimal testing and make drastic changes besed off of the many different feedback reports. The pot chnages were a good example of this... goes from too much to almost NOTHING.

Long story short.... if your gonna play a game, play it udner supported environment not because you should follow the rules... but because the company might not be smart enough to differentiate between it and a cheat.... i can garentee you the yarnt going to put any time into checking if thye made a mistake... they are going to see a abnormal report, check if its ban worthy and hit the ban button .... you complain... thye look at file and reason for it and tell you"nope still banned". More likely then not they are not goign to spend extra time out of thier day to look into the problem unless they get FLOODED with these requests.... they dont care about it or you unless it starts taking up thier time.... so give them hundreds of complaints on this people who were affected... make them see it as a issue... because a few dozen reports artn enough to make them do thier actual jobs.
im getting cancer from reading this thread
its like im really reading the tor froums
Can the people saying "not supported = ban" get a F. clue??

Not supported = don't complain if the game breaks down or doesn't work as designed.

I'm just wondering why Blizzard should do anything for people who clearly saw that the game requires Windows or OS X, yet bought the game fully intending to run it on Linux. That seems to me to be the purest definition of "Not Supported." Blizzard should be under zero obligation to foot the labor costs in order to adjust anything they've done for a few idiots who ignore the supported OS information. They shouldn't have to worry about whether something they do breaks the game on Wine/Linux now or ever. Wine/Linux is not supported. In fact, it will never be supported directly. Smart people don't waste big money supporting a less than 1% group. Dual boot to a real gaming OS if you want to play real games on your boxes. The 99.5% of people running the game on a supported OS couldn't care less about your issues.

I'm just wondering why Blizzard should do anything for people who clearly saw that the game requires Windows or OS X, yet bought the game fully intending to run it on Linux. That seems to me to be the purest definition of "Not Supported." Blizzard should be under zero obligation to foot the labor costs in order to adjust anything they've done for a few idiots who ignore the supported OS information.

OP isn't asking them to do anything special for Linux, OP is asking them to not take active measures against Linux users, especially given Blizzard's previously relayed policy of "If you can get it to run, go ahead [so long as you don't modify the game files]." The Linux Diablo 3 community was perfectly happy filing tickets against WINE for issues and providing their own support and troubleshooting. Blizzard communicated that this was an allowed thing, albeit, not a supported thing (and has not in fact, provided support). They then, apparently, decided to ban people for doing something they had said they were allowed to do without ever retracting the previous communication.
07/02/2012 04:06 PMPosted by kwewu
Here's a question to anyone saying that if its unsupported it should be banned. What about everyone running under the minimum recommended system requirements, should they be banned too? I know for a fact Blizzard won't support people running below the minimum requirements.