Why Act 1 Inferno is the endgame of D3 (V2)

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
This thread will show you that the current endgame is actually Act 1 inferno. Why is this the case? I'll explain now.

First of all, press the Escape button ---> select Options ---> go to Gameplay ---> Tag Display Monster Health Bars and Display Health Bar Numbers (these things are untagged by default).

Now create a game in Act 1 Inferno, and start killing a few elite and champion packs. Notice that the hp of the elites are around 200-300k each, the champion minions about 200-300k hp each aswell, and the champion about 700-900k.

Exit that game, now enter Act 3 inferno and start killing a few elite and champion packs again. Note that the elites here have 1.9-2.3m hp, champion minions around 1.7m hp, and the champion upto 4m hp.

Now, I couldn't find the actual thread because I haven't bothered enough to search for it, but here are the current droprates of iLvl 63 gear:

Act 1 Inferno iLvl 63: 4.8%
Act 2 Inferno iLvl 63: 9.3%
Act 3 Inferno iLvl 63: 16.8%

4% iLvl 63 gear in act 1, 16% iLvl 63 gear in act 3. Yet, as the numbers prove, not only do elites and champions have ~8x more hp than elites/champions in act 1, they also hit A LOT harder and have more mobility than act 1 mobs, which WILL matter when you get the elite/champion version of that mob paired with some nasty affixes on them. What this means is that if you do act 1 compared to act 3, you will get THE SAME REWARD TWICE AS FAST AND WITH A LOT LESS EFFORT compared to act 3. If your mind goes 'lol no way, because...' now, please read below :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Q&A-

Now, in the previous thread there have been some people who had some seemingly valid points to make concerning this matter, so I've picked out a few of those points and made a small Q&A.

STATEMENT 1: The lifepoints of elite/champ packs do not matter because if you have endgame gear, you'll cut through just as easily.

STATEMENT 2: Once you have endgame gear and are able to farm act 3 easily, travel time between elites start to matter more than the actual time it takes to kill packs.

STATEMENT 3: The gear of the OP is not good enough to farm act 3, so he should stop crying/stick to farming Act 1 because he sucks.

STATEMENT 4: Act 3 is much better for me to farm compared to Act 1. P.S. - I am a Barbarian.

STATEMENT 5: Krip/Kungen etc (insert famous streamer here) are all doing Act 3 and are cutting through it with ease! Obviously it's the best way to make money if they are doing it!

STATEMENT 6: MF gear swapping!!1!@11!!

~~~~~~~~~~

---ANSWER 1: I will have to disagree with this viewpoint. First of all, we are talking about elite/champ packs, which means that they come with certain affixes on them. For example, packs that have the Shielding affix on them. if you have endgame gear then it is possible that you are able to 1HKO champs/elites in Act 1 - before they are able to activate shielding. In Act 3 however, that chance to kill all the elite/champ pack mobs before they are able to activate shielding is next to impossible. This means that you lose time killing packs in Act 3 compared to Act 1.

Also, this point becomes nearly invalid due to the fact that 1 hitting champs/elites in Act 1 in near impossible already, which means that it'll always take you 1 hit in Act 1 vs ~8 hits in Act 3.

---ANSWER 2: Short term wise, this could be a very good point. However, in the long run - Act 1 will definitely outrun Act 3 moneymaking wise. Why? Because of 5 NV stacks. Since there are alot more packs to kill on an efficient Act 1 run compared to an efficient Act 3 run, you'll be taking alot more advantage of 5 NV stacks in Act 1 compared to Act 3 before starting a new trip.

Also, since Act 1 is a huge downgrade in damage output from mobs, remember that you are able to use alot more builds and gear choices here compared to Act 3. The real endgame gear is in fact gear that has movement speed % and mf % on them, along with equally high DPS as the 'Act 3 endgame gear' that would have AR on them instead - which is barely needed in Act 1. Besides that, you should also redo your build so that it includes atleast 1 skill which allows you to move faster. Personally, I use the Tactical Advantage passive and use SS throughout my travel time. I don't even use the displacement rune on SS because I find packs in a matter of seconds already.

Here's a screenie of my gear: http://i.imgur.com/F0DtH.jpg?1

---ANSWER 3: See the above screenshot. All pieces have high rolls on them, + 262 mf % with 5 NV. It would cost roughly 400m to buy the same gear + rolls on them. It doesn't get more 'endgame' than that, unless you have exploited rep chests etc during the first few days after D3 launched or have 9832 gold farming bots running at the same time - in which case you'll be able to afford slightly better gear. Also, I've done plenty of Act 3 inf farm runs to compare, and this is the conclusion that I have come to.

---ANSWER 4: A Barbarian is the most efficient class when it comes to farming Act 3, and even then - the reward % between Act 1 and 3 is marginal. Also, keep in mind that there are 5 different classes, and saying that everyone should reroll a barb then goes directly against the point of this thread - which is the demand for balance. Also, this link proves my point that Barbs know that they are the strongest class by far atm, hence all the defensive and irrational replies:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079669010?page=1

---ANSWER 5: Most famous streamers get their money through other means, namely donations. That means their streams are not based on how to make money in the most efficient way, no; their streams are based on entertainment value. That is why famous streamers are a terrible example to use when it comes to the most efficient way to farm money - unless you can call donations farming aswell haha!

---ANSWER 6: Option 4 @ the MF swapping suggestions thread !!!112@11!!! Whew, finally I'm able to give a short answer atleast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Final few words-

This is probably why people are complaining about act 3 dropping bad stuff. The droprates are as stated and haven't been nerfed, it's just that you kill monsters a lot slower there and with alot more effort aswell compared to act 1. To fix this, Blizzard needs to change their viewpoint about not wanting high end gear to enter the AH so fast, do something about the botters so that the prices become somewhat stable again, and raise the iLvl 63 droprate of Act 2/3/4 - starting by giving act 3 atleast a 30% iLvl 63 droprate. If they aren't all on vacation, that is.

Lastly, Note that it is quite hard to get a non biased opinion on this matter due to the loot being so extremely random in this game - So when you've had bad drops in Act 1 and some jackpot ones in Act 3, please keep in mind that you can get exactly the same iLvl 63 drops/affixes on them in Act 1. Personally, I kept going and got rewarded for it - made well over 100M on my US acc and ~250M on my EU acc by farming Act 1 inferno.

EDIT: My Mf gear - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Demigod-2975/hero/13099790

Full Nat and 300+ mf after 5NV. 0 Cheats/exploits used - all thanks to Act 1/merchanting skills :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-TL;DR-

Act 3 inferno is not as rewarding as it should be considering the amount of gear that you need to obtain before you can farm there vs the reward % rate that you get from farming act 1 inferno. The final few chapters of the highest difficulty should have the most rewarding gameplay, not the other way around.
D3 drop rate is a fail as so is itemization. They should only allow Act 3-4 to drop Ilvl 63 stuff and lower the difficulty. Right now there's ton of botters botting act 1.
I would just like to add, regardless of where you go. You can farm faster solo than with friends co-op. Your point of views are very well written and enjoyed the perspective.
---The run that makes farming Act 1 more efficient reward % wise compared to Act 3---

Here's what I do:

-Start at Fest Woods. It's a small map and has 1-2 packs outside, fairly easy to find. Don't ignore the white mobs, had several legendary drops from them (am guessing the the legendary drop % is the same for every type of monster). During your search, enter the 2 dungeons for 1 guaranteed elite pack each.

-Port, tele to Cathedral Lvl 3. big chance of finding another pack here. Can get good AoE kills on white mobs here aswell, always drops some decent gold/sometimes a rare.

Port, tele to Cemetary. High chance of elite pack being outside, just be sure to check all corners. After that, proceed inside the crypts. Ignore development hell, and port out of the crown crypt after your first pack kill. Scout all the others, usually has 1-2 packs in them + jar of souls/graverobber events which give a reward equal to a pack kill.

-Port, tele to Cemetary. now move down through the gate into the Weeping Willow area. Lot's of monsters here that are easy to rush through with 5 NV. Map usually has 3 packs, enter the dungeon Den of the Fallen if you spot it for 3 more packs on top of that.

-Port, tele to Fields of Misery. Don't spend too long here, it's a rep chest based area which now suck. Only good stuff left here is Scavengers Den and the Decaying Crypt, + 1-2 packs outside. It's a big map though, need to get a bit lucky finding stuff here.

-Port, tele to Highlands Crossing. Run across the bridge and start scouting for Cave of the Moonclan, a 100% spawn dungeon. 3-4 packs in there + a rep chest. Outside theres 2-3 packs to find, + chance of an extra elite pack event or Lyceum (2-3 packs inside). Ignore the other events like RoG.

-Port, tele to Northern Highlands. Go left to check if Watch Tower spawns. If so, enter for 0-5 packs (0 packs being very rare). 1-2 packs outside.

-Once done, do not port - continue the path up to Leorics Hunting Grounds, 1-2 packs outside + chance of Highlanders Cave (1-2 packs inside).

-Then, proceed to Leorics Manor. 1-2 packs outside, high chance of another pack inside + insane amount of AoE kills, which will fetch you some decent loot aswell.

-Proceed and enter Halls of Agony Lvl 1. 2-3 packs inside. Enter Halls of Agony Lvl 2. Again, 2-3 packs there.

-Exit and cross the bridge dispatching the white mobs and enter the Cursed Hold. 2-3 packs inside + Warden.

-Enter Halls of Agony Lvl 3. 1-2 packs inside. Proceed to the Chamber of Suffering and kill the Butcher.

And that's the end of the run. There's a high chance of a goblin encounter in every area/dungeon that I've mentioned here. There's also plenty of events along the way for diversity and are rewarding enough to do. If you're geared like me (high dps/MF/max movement speed) you'll be able to do this under 1 hour, if a little less geared it takes ~90 mins. The sheer amount of packs obviously outclasses Act 3, especially if you consider that you can only do a few packs in Act 3 with 5 NV stacks for that guaranteed rare drop before you have to reload. Hope this helps ;)

Oh and, obviously you're going to get so much loot that you'll have to store it/sell to shop several times. Just do this when porting to the next area, It's like a quick pits stop. Rather than the noobs who are MF swapping gear, you could spend some time during combat scouting your inventory if anything good has dropped so that you'll know what to do with it before selling stuff to shop.

----If anyone thinks that they have a more efficient Act 3 inferno run that easily beats the amount of iLvl 63 drops/h compared to the above, please test it against my Act 1 run first and then post your answer here along with fact based info backing it up while considering all of the points that I have made in the OP. Blatantly saying Act 3 is better will be counted as you still being under the illusion that you're getting a better reward %/h in Act 3------
I saw this thread somewhere else...
If all you do is Act 1 then you might as well log out and uninstall the game as it's game over already.
I farm act2 fast and get better drops you mad?

I can farm act3 and get better drops you mad?

I killed Diablo inferno with 5 stacks NV you mad?

Only the nubs stuck in act1 kid, try getting better and maybe it wont seem so bad.

$230 RMAH made, never had more than 10mil gold at any one time.

Make more excuses for being terrible and the game not catering to your noobing ways.

Quote from OP:

'Here's a screenie of my gear: http://i.imgur.com/F0DtH.jpg?1

---ANSWER 3: See the above screenshot. All pieces have high rolls on them, + 262 mf % with 5 NV. It would cost roughly 400m to buy the same gear + rolls on them. It doesn't get more 'endgame' than that, unless you have exploited rep chests etc during the first few days after D3 launched or have 9832 gold farming bots running at the same time - in which case you'll be able to afford slightly better gear.'

L2read the thread before posting fool?
I farm act2 fast and get better drops you mad?

I can farm act3 and get better drops you mad?

I killed Diablo inferno with 5 stacks NV you mad?

Only the nubs stuck in act1 kid, try getting better and maybe it wont seem so bad.

$230 RMAH made, never had more than 10mil gold at any one time.

Make more excuses for being terrible and the game not catering to your noobing ways.

you are dumb as a rock.
07/10/2012 08:28 AMPosted by warc
I saw this thread somewhere else...

Yes that's right, it maxed out in replies hence the thread title says 'Volume 2' :p
Just because you haven't geared enough to farm a2 or a3 effortlessly / efficiently make you think this. So whatever.
First of all, you're horribly wrong. Yes, the mobs are easier, but that does NOT mean you can necessarily killed four five-stacked Act I elites in the time you can kill one Act III elite.

Yes, it is a LOT faster to run through Act I than Act III, however, it is not three times as fast. So if your damage output is high enough, it is FAR better to run Act III.
Not sure if a1 is endgame in softcore, but it certainly is in hardcore. The risk-to-reward ratio is best in a1 by a lot.
07/10/2012 08:26 AMPosted by MikuOhashi
D3 drop rate is a fail as so is itemization. They should only allow Act 3-4 to drop Ilvl 63 stuff and lower the difficulty. Right now there's ton of botters botting act 1.

How do you know there are tons of botters botting act 1 right now? What the hell does botting act 1 mean? Do you mean that bots are killing champion packs for i63 drops, because I would be surprised to learn that a bot can kill champion packs.
Festering Woods: 3-4 Champs
Cemetery: 3-4 Champs
N. Highlands Tower (justabove waypoint): 1-2 Champs + Resp Chest
Leoric's Manor: 1-2 Champs
HoA 1: 1-3 Champs
HoA 2: 1-3 Champs
Warden: Warden + 2-3 Champs
HoA 3: 1-2 Champs + Butcher
Ponyland: 4-6 Champs with act 3/4 drop percentages.

Total: 13-23 Act 1 Champs, 4-6 Act 3/4 Champs, 2 Bosses
Time: 45m - 1.5h depending on gear (or skip Ponyland and it's much faster).

If there's an Act 3 route better than that I'd honestly love to know it, because Act 1 is getting stale.

EDIT: Similar to Demigod's run. The point is the same - that's easily 4x as many champs down in a given period of time than I'm even able to find in Act 3.
I can do a3 in around 45 minutes and kill 50-55? champion packs. wat?
For me this thread is completely true. I can go to acts 2-3 inferno but so far its been taking me time, money (I die from time to time) and the reward is not better compared to act 1, because even if I see a lot of rares in all acts, they are usually all very similar in quality.