Used RMAH, Not from the US = Banned!

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Ok, so after thinking about it for a while after I didn't see any progress in game I convinced myself to spend $50 on the RMAH, after all it's a hobby and why not pay a bit of money for your hobby.

So whatever, I went to charge my bnet account with $50, using the same CC I used to purchase D3, and also SC2 1.5 years ago.

I'm not from the US, but Blizzard allows me to play on the US server, I always play on US servers, for every game I play. I just like it more to play games in english and since I speak & write english all day it just makes sense.

I purchased 2 weapons for my DW build and paid with the balance I had on my bnet account.
All of a sudden my account was disconnected and I can not log in anymore, my account status says: suspended, and auction house: BANNED.

Ok, I was thinking wtf? Went to google and did some research for the error 53 they showed me when I tried to log in and found this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5977979900?page=1

The exact same issue, except that the guy in this case is even US citizen.

Anyways, Blizzard allows me to play on whatever server I wish, I can purchase their games with my credit card and even add a balance to my bnet account with the same card, but as soon as I spend my balance I get audited and fall through their roster which leads to my account being banned.

Now I'm from Germany, living in Vietnam right now. Ok, I thought it will be my Vietnamese IP as this is often the reason for issues with payments I make via credit card.

After reading the thread I was refering to, I now know it is the region I'm logged in from and the fact that I registered my account as US account (Because I thought that's the only way I get to play on the US servers...)

Ok no problem, happens, Blizzard is trying to protect themselves and their customers. No biggie, but what I don't get is that I am forced to do a region change, at the same time I lose my bnet balance and Blizzard can keep it, or I can not use the RMAH (and Blizzard also keeps my money)

So I have two options that are not real options, and either way my money is lost and Blizzard keeps it?

I don't feel this is right and I am also pretty sure this is unlawful. Many people like me wan to play on servers in other countries, for a multitude of reasons and those people should be allowed to use the RMAH in the region they are playing, or not? After all we are allowed to play on those servers too, but we are not allowed to give you our money?

( And if we do, you keep it and force us to do a region change? )

My credit card company let the charge through, why is that a problem for Blizzard as soon as I try to spend the balance? Afterall this is my money, I earned it, it's not a fraudulent transaction since it is MY credit card and you have received the money from my credit card company...

I don't care so much about the $50 as much as the principle that the internet is open, as should online games be. The internet is global and tens of thousands of gamers like to play on servers outside of their country. This is pretty common, and Blizzard is the first company that seems to have a problem with that, I always play on servers outside of Germany, make a lot purchases in the US and other countries, and also do a lot of business in the US. But paying a little bit of money for some in-game items is all of a sudden something bad because the money did not come from inside the USA?

Or is it only because your accounting is not set up to process that? if so, I can tell you your accounting department sucks. :(

I feel a bit pissed right now, because it seems as if I will not be able to buy the items I wanted to buy and wasted 120+ hours playing my monk on the americas servers.

You should change this asap Blizzard, it does not only mean lost revenue for you but also are you behind the time with your setup!
You're breaching the terms of use if you use the North American RMAH from outside of North America. It's not Blizzard's fault you didn't read the terms of use
I like the part where the game detects what country you're from and just waits. Like a box filled with money in front of a police station.
That's not the point, but thanks anyways... It should be allowed if they allow us to play on the US servers and allow us to put a balance on our bnet accounts or not?

And the other guy who is US citizen, just living abroad, it's also his fault for moving out of the country right... Oo
Legally you have to abide by locality laws - it's impossible for them to enforce such laws for every jurisdiction on the planet to make sure they're not breaking them.

You should've played on the appropriate servers - period.

In fact in most of Asia, you're legally required to play on local servers last I checked.
Legally you have to abide by locality laws - it's impossible for them to enforce such laws for every jurisdiction on the planet to make sure they're not breaking them.

You should've played on the appropriate servers - period.

In fact in most of Asia, you're legally required to play on local servers last I checked.

LOL, what is that? So in most of Asia there are laws that require computer gamers to play on local servers? Lol, that's a good one :)

Please show me where you "check" something like that. Cute

But anyways, I can play on whatever server I want, and even Blizzard officially allows it... But as soon as I use the RMAH, they ban me, that's the point and it's not fair.
No, what is allowed is what blizzard says is allowed when you agree to the terms of use agreement, which you have to agree to to play the game. This is a legal agreement, and the only way it can be considered invalid is if it breaches any rights, which as far as I can tell it does not. While the case above as it is described does not seem to be malicious, it does breach those terms of use set out by Blizzard.
07/11/2012 12:46 PMPosted by DarthVader
don't feel this is right and I am also pretty sure this is unlawful. Many people like me wan to play on servers in other countries, for a multitude of reasons and those people should be allowed to use the RMAH in the region they are playing, or not? After all we are allowed to play on those servers too, but we are not allowed to give you our money?

Thids was all in the documents you agreed to when you created your account. It's linked to you and you have to sacroll through and click ACCEPT with every patch. What is so hard about "You must provide accurate information for name address". How can you not understand "You may only use the RMAH for the location you register as your home"?
07/11/2012 01:12 PMPosted by PMurph
No, what is allowed is what blizzard says is allowed when you agree to the terms of use agreement, which you have to agree to to play the game. This is a legal agreement, and the only way it can be considered invalid is if it breaches any rights, which as far as I can tell it does not. While the case above as it is described does not seem to be malicious, it does breach those terms of use set out by Blizzard.

Exactly, and Blizzard says it is allowed for anyone to play on any server in any region they prefer, so this whole banning thing and then keeping the money is not only unfair but unlawful.

I'm sure you read the whole tos before you played right... Something like this should be mentioned in the RMAH, it's not hard, obviously, to detect from which country you're logged in.

Otherwise stating afterwards that you have to change the region but they keep your money, is not right.
How can you people even pretend this is ok?
it's sad how Blizz ban people for giving them money

it's like stealing the customer then and go report to the police you stole from them

They ban people because the RMAH could be used as a way to launder money and evade taxes. If that money was moved to the right country, it may not be recoverable if a person was caught using the RMAH to launder money. Also if that did occur Blizzard could be charged as an accomplice for providing a service which facilitated the laundering of money. In that case Blizzard probably wouldn't be convicted but the bad press associated with a case like that could damage the companies reputation more than Diablo 3 ever could.
it's sad how Blizz ban people for giving them money

it's like stealing the customer then and go report to the police you stole from them

They ban people because the RMAH could be used as a way to launder money and evade taxes. If that money was moved to the right country, it may not be recoverable if a person was caught using the RMAH to launder money. Also if that did occur Blizzard could be charged as an accomplice for providing a service which facilitated the laundering of money. In that case Blizzard probably wouldn't be convicted but the bad press associated with a case like that could damage the companies reputation more than Diablo 3 ever could.

Rofl, just stop it man...
LOLOLOL reading the terms of use. I'm sure every single person sits down and reads the EULA out loud every time they log in to the game....

You mean you DIDN'T READ THE TERMS OF AGREEMENT???
Terms of Use, 5.B

When creating or updating an Account on the Service, you are required to provide Blizzard with certain personal information such as your name, address, phone number, email address and, in some cases, payment information. For certain Games, an unused authentication key provided to you by Blizzard will be required when adding a Game license to an Account. A Game license must be added to an Account before you can play that Game online, where applicable. You agree that you will supply accurate and complete information to Blizzard when requested, and that you will update that information promptly after it changes.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/termsofuse.html

You falsified address information, therefore breaking the ToU that you agreed to uphold.