How did Adria...

Lore and Story
... cast a spell on a thing she had never seen before?
How did Adria cast a spell on a thing she had read about on a newspaper?
How did Adria cast a spell on a thing that did not exist?
I dunno, ask Chris Metzen.
Magic.
Adria didn't cast any spells on the Black Soulstone. She used her magic to locate and mark the souls of the dead Lords of Hell, putting a sort of contingent spell on them that would draw them into a suitable vessel once one became available.

The souls of the Prime Evils were presumably more difficult to retrieve (as they'd been banished to the Black Abyss), but she had twenty years to bring them back.
Adria didn't cast any spells on the Black Soulstone. She used her magic to locate and mark the souls of the dead Lords of Hell, putting a sort of contingent spell on them that would draw them into a suitable vessel once one became available.

Not "a suitable vessel". It was that one particular stone that was supposed to draw them. Not any suitable vessel. Wasn't it her plan to get the Black Soulstone? Didn't she programm the souls to be sucked by the stone once it is created? She did.

So my question is simple, how did she cast a spell on the souls, that would draw them into a thing which she hadn't touched, hadn't seen, a thing that did not exist at the time of casting the spell, and which pieces/shards (whatever the thing was before it was completed) had been hidden god knows where.

I would also love to know, how come a regular witch played with the souls of 5 Lords of Hell for 20 years without any side effects, while powerful mages like Horazon or Bartuc were effed by experimenting with regular demons.

Also, inb4 expansion's "they all agreed to be sucked just to trick Belial and Azmodan".
Plot hole. Plain and simple.

Just like the one that made out Belial to be the Lord of Lies and was so horribly transparent... Just like the one that got Ghom into Bastion's Keep... Just like the one where it took the master strategist of Hell over 10 days to assault a fortress at a quarter capacity... Just like the one where a godlike Nephalem took out the totality of all evil with one arm tied behind his or her back... It's what the Black Soulstone came out of and fell into...

Lots of good solutions on how to fix the problems on the forum, just hope someone reads them one day.
Diablo Lore Q&A at Blizzcon is going to be hilarious.
How did Adria survive having sex with Diablo?
07/31/2013 01:21 PMPosted by BrassDragon

Circle of Protection: Black
07/31/2013 01:21 PMPosted by BrassDragon

He was inside of Aidan, so it was just a human-sized pen1s.
*Bookmarking this thread.*
07/11/2012 12:54 PMPosted by ramiel
I would also love to know, how come a regular witch played with the souls of 5 Lords of Hell for 20 years without any side effects, while powerful mages like Horazon or Bartuc were effed by experimenting with regular demons.

My guess as to why Adria could do this and how she has come into contact with the Black Soulstone before;

Adria is Lilith

Edit: bookmarking this thread as well
Adria has been corrupted by Diablo, heavily. She was protected by Diablo and guided by him. Easy enough to cast spells on things that she hasnt come in contact with, Diablo had.

Zoltun Kulle was the handler of the Soulstones, he "mishandled" Baal's Soulstone and blaming the "battle" regardless. Still, Tal Rasha sacraficed himself to hold Baal in him, yet... who told him that such a feat could be done ? It was part of Diablo's plan, perhaps Adria herself had a hand in it.

As for Adria being Lillith... I dont think so, Lillith killed all Angels and Demons on Sanctuary to protect her babies from being exploited, i dont see her just changing her mind.

I find it quite hilarious how people blame things they don't understand on "plot holes".
She had sex with a prime evil and in this very "close" exchange it's possible that Diablos essence was implanted in her,which led probably, to the creation of Leah.This same essence that created Leah would probably also allow her to use magic on the soulstone. Keeping in mind the fact that the stone held the essence of Diablos brothers and his own, I would then say that's how she could use the magic.
Don't ask... It's the Black Magic of Metzen.
08/16/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Rain
As for Adria being Lillith... I dont think so, Lillith killed all Angels and Demons on Sanctuary to protect her babies from being exploited, i dont see her just changing her mind.

Read the Sin War.

She uses tricks. She was under the disguise of Lord Primus after she killed him. All to let the nephalem, Uldyssian, learn more of his powers and let him get stronger.
lillith would never do the dirty with diablo.