GUIDE: Should I play Single- or Multi-player?

General Discussion
So your new to Diablo 3 and want some advice on what to play and when?

Here's a few tips that can help you decide...

Play Public Games if you:

• Have bad gear and can't kill anything yourself.
  • Have not completed all quests and still want to slowly progress while taking a break/nap, or while letting your 5 year old little brother try the game for you.
  • Have no Magic Find or Gold Find stats on your gear, but don't mind borrowing some from your teammates who invested in it.
  • Loves to meeting new players in your game every 3rd minute.
  • Don't mind teammates pulling surprise challenges into the already ongoing elite pack fight.
  • Want to be able to very slowly down a boss...while you are dead.
  • Wan't to confirm that there are still real people playing Diablo 3 (but don't expect human communication, so could still be bots...).
  • Don't mind waiting for AFK players, for an unspecified amount of time.
  • Like the challenge of killing monsters alone, that has several times more Hit Points than normally (but no additional rewards).
  • Wan't co-op achievements.
  • Like the aspect of WoW where you can go to town and hangout with other players, that are also just chilling/webbrowsing/crafting/vendoring/afk'ing...

Play Singleplayer if you:

• Can in fact kill stuff yourself.
  • Want's to farm as efficient as possible and kill monsters as fast as possible.
  • Don't want to wait for anyone but yourself, and likes to control where and what to farm.
  • Have invested in Magic Find or Gold Find gear, and want to benefit from that investment.
  • Likes to earn an additional Magic Find and/or Gold Find bonus a Follower.
  • Likes a teammate that ironically makes the game seem more social
  • Don't like to loose goblins due to other players unawareness or lack of presence.
  • - reserved -
    Good guide. Pretty much sums up public games. Personally I find the game more enjoyable to duo with a friend. But I find it lucrative on loots (regardless of friends MF) to just solo with a speed build while ignoring trash mobs (anything that doesn't guarantee rare drops with valor).
    I played Diablo 2 with 6 other people yesterday, it was surprisingly social thanks to our mutual hatred and disappointment with Diablo 3.
    07/16/2012 03:57 AMPosted by Xenth
    Good guide. Pretty much sums up public games. Personally I find the game more enjoyable to duo with a friend. But I find it lucrative on loots (regardless of friends MF) to just solo with a speed build while ignoring trash mobs (anything that doesn't guarantee rare drops with valor).

Same. I do Elite pack hunting as well, ignoring trash mobs and unrewarding optional events.
    07/16/2012 04:56 AMPosted by Bastiat
    I played Diablo 2 with 6 other people yesterday, it was surprisingly social thanks to our mutual hatred and disappointment with Diablo 3.

I wish there was a "Classic"-mode in Diablo 3, where people could at least try shared loot (oh the controversy!), but greatly greatly enhanced loot in 4 player game due to shared loot. That also means if someone is AFK or in town, then the others get more awesome loot for them (though monsters are harder to kill alone).