The most powerful class is...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Barb is the king of A3 farming. Skip all whites with huge run speed. Wiz/DH are comparable maybe even faster with kill speed, but their movement skills suck in comparison to sprint and they can't just skip everything and take hits like a barb.
barbs havent really got much build diversity too, tank barb or ww barb?
2 builds...

So you are really trying to argue that barbs and WDs are on the same level in terms of diversity?

It's clear to me that you havn't tried one.

then you would be way off the mark, like i said i have a barb whos worth close to 50 mil while my witch doctor is about 1 million, and he is just as good, and if you think barbs have such a huge build diversity, please care to explain. cause i've tried alot of different skills, and they simply dont work.
People say there are only 2 viable builds for anything and i think that is bull.

yea gear is hard to come by in some circumstance, but almost any build can be viable with full build.

WD alone you can go damage and zombie bear things into the ground, or you can go splinters build. I have played around with a thorns/life regen build for pets and that even works well (not at highest levels but viable for Act 1/2 inferno. I have started building gear to get to a proctor build as well which so far has worked out with my limited support.

I would say the barb is the same way. Depending on your gearing choices you can make lots of the different skills work.

Are there skills that need work, well hell yeah of course there is, however we have barely been able to scratch the surface on the edge cases and interesting builds.

Rolling through inferno with my dogs, my gargantuan and a spider queen with obscene life regen and thorns... its fun, throw some cc procs in there as well lol, its a blast.

Dont be discouraged by the ADHD people that tried the one build they read off the internet and walked away. Channel your inner D2 spirit and try some zany wacky builds just cause.
Not here to QQ. I simply want to see if people feel the same way.

Is it just me, or is the Barbarian inarguably the most powerful class right now?
There are classes I would personally have more fun playing, but I find it hard to focus on them when the Barbarian is having so much success.

They always have been even when people were harping about demon hunters in the very beginning. The geared barbarians could farm as effectively as demon hunters without the risk. Sure it cost millions at the time but a barbarian that had millions was superior to demon hunters that have millions. After the demon hunter nerfs and an increase in loot barbarians became by far the most dominant.

That being said, I'm not complaining about that but I disagree with barbarians being nerfed. I say they remove the nerfs on wizards and demon hunters to compensate while buffing WD and Monk.
08/03/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Razor

Um, its well known that WD is the weakest class right now, half of our primary attacks dont even benefit from the crit damage% stat. We also have the most useless skills and runes of any other class, there is pretty much no such thing as build diversity with the WD. Its either VQ build (Acid Rain, Bears, Bats) or Dart Kiting. Everything else is incredibly sub optimal.

2 builds...

I do a 2h barb and doing just fine so theres 3

2 builds...

what has weapon choices got to do with anything really, your skills i bet are just the same as any one of the 2 barbs i mentioned.

thats almost like saying if my whirlwind barb used a shield, its another build. well no, at the end of the day, he's still a ww barb.
08/03/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Lukacko
Meh I disagree, I've seen extremely strong WD, DH, Monks and Barbs. And I would say my Wiz is extremely strong. I think they're all extremely capable. It's the people behind the keyboard that screw it all up.

+1
If you have insane amounts of gold to spend on building a sustainable WW build then yes, barb is king. Otherwise barb is actually more challenging than the other classes in my experience. WD is ultimately the most difficult across the board, in inferno. Only because it can't deal with certain (common in inferno) affixes in a reasonable manner.
Looking at it from a gear scaling perspective:

Barbarians and Demon Hunters have some skills/passives that scale INSANELY with gear.
* Ruthless (this is godly)
* Weapons Master
* Anything the Barb has that is crit-based
* Archery

For instance, Ruthless is numerically not that great for a Barbarian with 0 crit or crit damage from items. His average damage without Ruthless (so only 5% crit chance and 50% increased crit damage bonus) would be 1* (0.05 * 0.5) = 1.025, while the damage with Ruthless would be 1 * (0.1 * 1) = 1.1. Thus Ruthles is only a 7.3% dps boost.

However, say the Barb has 40% crit chance and 100% increased crit damage, then without Ruthless, he is hitting for 1*(0.4*1) = 1.4, but with Ruthless, he is hitting for 1*(0.45*1.5) = 1.675. Thus, Ruthless has become a 19.6% dps boost.

Stuff like this scales insanely with gear.

Demon Hunters have Nat's 4-set as people have mentioned, but the other thing is that their skills already have extremely high damage coefficients (such as Devouring Arrow averaging 234% weapon damage per shot, and Cluster Rockets hitting a boss multiple times).

Wizards have some nice scaling with crit gear from Critical Mass, but the scaling is is nowhere near as insane as that for Barbarians and Demon Hunters.

Monks and Witch Doctors have almost no great scaling with gear. They scale normally, whereas the Barbarian, Demon Hunter, and Wizard scale exceptionally.

This is the opinion of someone who has one of each class in Act 3+ Inferno and has beaten Inferno on two of them.

what has weapon choices got to do with anything really, your skills i bet are just the same as any one of the 2 barbs i mentioned.

thats almost like saying if my whirlwind barb used a shield, its another build. well no, at the end of the day, he's still a ww barb.

However I don't use WW as a skill so hence I am not a WW barb.

I am a Ignorepain/Frenzy/Revenge/WotB/Warcry/Battlerage - Ruthless/Unforgiving/Beserker Rage Barb.

With 140K DPS

So there are other builds that do work, I am an example of that

However I don't use WW as a skill so hence I am not a WW barb.

I am a Ignorepain/Frenzy/Revenge/WotB/Warcry/Battlerage - Ruthless/Unforgiving/Beserker Rage Barb.

With 140K DPS

So there are other builds that do work, I am an example of that

almost the same as my build , only i use overpower instead of ignore pain, fact is they play and feel the same, to me that is not build diversity.
There is a video on the wizard forums of a wizard who can farm all of act 3 in like 47 minutes and do every single elite and boss. I am not so sure a barbarian can do that, but I have never played the class. Look up melee wizards and I think they will win #1 spot hands down. if you can find a barb doing it faster then post the thread, I would love to see!
I have a level 60 WD. Very well geared, and totally sucks. I can still survive and kill stuff, but his mf speed is maybe half that of a similarly geared DH or Barb.
Im faster in act 3 inferno farming than any barb i met, cant agree

(on soso)