Witch Doctor Pet Guide part 3 (old)

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 4 5 6 25 Next
For Witchdoctors- Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan have been singled out for MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT- Seperate blogs for proposed changes to EACH class will be out soon

Great news!
I wonder if changes to how pet auras apply LoH or CC will be in 1.04 too. If not, and they buff pet survivability then our already viable builds will become pretty strong. It may even feel too easy since we've gotten so use to making the builds work as is...
I like the words MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT in caps. I have a strange feeling that, the improvements will be huge!
i have a cat.... do i need this guide?
08/10/2012 10:15 AMPosted by crdvis16
I wonder if changes to how pet auras apply LoH or CC will be in 1.04 too. If not, and they buff pet survivability then our already viable builds will become pretty strong. It may even feel too easy since we've gotten so use to making the builds work as is...

If they nerf one thing to pets while buffing another, it will be disappointing.

I agree about it being too easy though. My pet build is just now getting me to Azmodan. Just killed the spider !@#$%, he's next DUN dun duuuun. If they make it so I can take off some of my defensive skills and/or passives in favor of something like VQ/bears WITH pets, it will be ez mode.

I just hope they don't make all my Armor/AR/LpS gear obsolete...
08/10/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Peter
I like the words MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT in caps. I have a strange feeling that, the improvements will be huge!

Perhaps literally. Gargie will now be 4x as fat and dogs will get a longer, erm, tail, but otherwise the same offense and defense.
-Removing monster enrage timers
-Removing monster Out-of-Combat healing
-Increasing maximum damage on level 60-62 weapons, thus increasing their viability
-Removing "Invulnerable Minions" affix
-Decreasing difficulty of Rare / Champion monsters by 10-25%
-Increasing difficulty of normal monsters by 5-10%
-Increasing Magic Item drops from normal monsters by 4x
-Buffing and balancing many class skills such (Like WD Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan)

Yes, YES. All of these are things that needed to be addressed badly.
Hopeful of the changes we will see.
Thanks dudes! The changes for 1.04 sound awesome, and I appreciate the feedback. Still wondering if any of you guys have tried RoT instead of firepit, and what the outcome is like.
08/10/2012 04:04 PMPosted by BROMONIUM
Thanks dudes! The changes for 1.04 sound awesome, and I appreciate the feedback. Still wondering if any of you guys have tried RoT instead of firepit, and what the outcome is like.

For me, it's basically the same in terms of procing.
But firebomb is better for fast moving targets, whereas ROT is probably stronger DPS against less zippy foes (especially ones standing still).
The reason I didn't take ROT for long is the mana cost. It's 3x higher, and that's just not worth it for me.
It is, but I feel like half the time im standing around not using my mana at all. With a +10 or so mana regen, feel like you could do pretty well with RoT. Might check it out here in a bit.
RoT gets around walls but is too slow for anything that runs around... acid rain helps the firebombs out, but it doesn't go around walls either.. it's really just preference at that point. i think my LoH is more useful with fire bombs and acid..

----------------------------------

they're not gonna nerf anything.

i'm excited that i will be able to use skills i enjoy rather than skills i need in order to play. and yeah.. diablo is a pushover. it's really the high damage on the champs and some of the other mobs that just wreck my pets.

the most important thing is that they buff the unused skills. imagine if the toad of hugeness was actually viable. it'd be amazing... they'd just have to allow it to work on champs.. muahah

or the self-chicken hex! omgomg.
I would love to see sacrifice be completely changed. It involves having too many other abilities for it to be compelling to use. Maybe you sac half your HP or reduce your own damage for a time to increase their attack speed or damage or something along those lines. If you are running a pet build, sac should be a choice. Not the way it currently is, running a pet build because you like the sac ability.

I think the biggest upcoming build in 1.04 will not be pet doctors, but spirit walkers since haunt. spirit barrage, mass confusion and to a smaller degree, soul harvest, are some of the most under utilised skills in the game.

they're bumping up underused runes too... given the complete lack of information we have, i would no sooner ASSUME that the skills you named would be used more than the skills we currently use with other runes.

Pet doctors with a viable sacrifice (the most underused skill in the game) would have its supporters but the clunky mechanics will put off most people. People generally prefer to sit back and pew pew over trying to set up the big one shot.

buffing dog survivability and lowering champion hp makes sacrifice just fine. the mechanics aren't clunky at all. and there are plenty of times when i'd want to set up that big one shot. the fact that this skill represents a unique mechanic in the game makes me wonder why you want it overhauled.

i get the feeling that your assumptions are based on 1) speculation about 1.04 and 2) tunnel-visioned understanding of what skills are being used by players other than yourself. seems pretty pointless to predict anything.
Hey just wondering if theres any info on Fetishes proccing CC and gear related buffing for these critters?

Awesome thread btw props Peter.
Seems like the discussions here are more solid, and I'm moving from my own thread(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6308701686?page=1#new-post) to here..

A bit of re-posting:
I have recently finished Inferno with a summoner build!! I have put a lot on:

All Resistances: ~940 unbuffed
Life Regeneration: 3408
Armor: 5802 unbuffed

Due to long cooldowns and low dps from my pets, I opted for VQ+Bears along with it.
Ok, the dogs do die.. but it takes a reasonable amount of time before they do

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fkYUXT!agU!cZcaYZ
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmyb7nKzB4&feature=youtu.be
The elite fights are at 1:08 and 4:20

The normal attack of the elites is generally quite high on my WD. Here, my pets manage to soak up a lot of the damage so that life regen itself (both on pets and me) are good enough to recover the damage. Notice that with 3 dogs + 1 garg + myself, we got a total of 5 units meaning that if each of them is attacked, the effective life regen of my party is five times of my norminal life regen. The pets surviving allows the WD to kill off the elites without facing the focus fire from all of them simultaneously.

Now another video, same gear same build but vs Diablo himself:
Video: http://youtu.be/PeYImPHA9dY

Comparatively speaking, diablo does less damage than groups of elites in closed up environments, but does high AOE damage, which kills of dogs rather quickly. With a horrify-frightening aspect, I manage to let the dogs take 1 full blast of AOE fire damage (see the video), but that makes me protect them more than them protecting me.

Situations change in the later part of the game when Diablo launches his red lightning. All pets seem to be pretty immune to it, which gives me plenty of chances of walking near Diablo to cast bears, a feature which allows me to kill off Diablo with relative ease.