legendary/ set items and plan drop locations

General Discussion
so guys, I've been farming over 600 hours for now and I wanted to share with you some of my observations.

It is said that the loot is random - any item can drop at any location when u hit inferno. first of all this is a total lie. you will never and ever find for instance a gem plan in act 1. and I mean it u will never find any 'fine' or 'grand' blacksmith plans either. for those who are seeking 4 properties blacksmith plans: you should farm on and on festering woods and leorics manor for instance.

Set item spots:

northern highlands:

watch tower ( random spawn and random generated tower)

farm this tower on and on for 5 - 6 times a day I guarantee you will get set items. and not even from monsters: it can drop from weapon racks as well. the good thing about this is that no magic find required. I got 2 different immortal king's set item 2 games in a row from watch tower with 75 magic find only (valor aura). I also dropped 3 different natalya's set from this tower

legendary item spots:

cemetary of the forsaken, one of the defiled crypts if u farm it enough it drops both set items and legendary items.

the festering woods / crypt of the ancients

drops both 4 property plans and legendary items.

gem and 5+ 6+ blacksmith plans:

act 2 the elite packs just before the belial fight. no 5 valor aura needed. just set the game to belial fight and clear all the way till the one and only elite pack that u'll face before belial and reset the game.

now all I want from you guys to keep this thread active ( don't know if there are any similar ones) I look forward for a post from someone dropping natalya's mark.

thanks for reading, hope u get your first set and legendary items soon enough if u didn't yet
Although your post was made with the best intentions, and to help the rest of the community, it is also posts like this that get the dev teams attention. Once they become aware of these areas and the community catches on to it, they will nerf the area and you will no longer see good drops coming from it as often if at all. Unfortunately, the same thing has been done in the past multiple times when ever similar posts have been made, with the reasoning that blizzard does not think farming areas such as this are/is "fun".

Good post though.
I can attest to the watchtower in A1. I have gotten 3 legendary items there and was able to get 2 in one run once. Coincidence maybe, but well worth hitting if you're near it.
Cheers for that OP!

i shall definitely try this out tonight!

also, what part should i choose to easily get to the watch tower?
I have never gotten a set item, legendary item, or plans from any of the above places you mentioned. And I farm those places a lot. I did however get tons of these items randomly elsewhere.
I farm all of that all of the time and with MF gear, I think it's like 333% after 5 NV. I have never seen a set item or legendary at any of those places.
Act3/4 = GRAND plans / radiant + perfect + flawless

Act 2 = FINE plans / perfect + flawless

Act 1 = regular plans / flawless

Different mobs have different loot tables. Rare instances have mobs with more diverse loot tables
I got 5 legendary in 2 days 2 being from back to back champs in vault of assassin it's all random I know plenty of people who haven't had that luck there
Random is random.
Although your post was made with the best intentions, and to help the rest of the community, it is also posts like this that get the dev teams attention. Once they become aware of these areas and the community catches on to it, they will nerf the area and you will no longer see good drops coming from it as often if at all. Unfortunately, the same thing has been done in the past multiple times when ever similar posts have been made, with the reasoning that blizzard does not think farming areas such as this are/is "fun".

Good post though.

I honestly don't care about the dev team or their nerfs. Just trying to help other players looking for some progress.
This is just pure coincidence and speculation. Most of my set items/legendaries are found in Vault of the Assassin, because that's where I farm the most. Get my drift?
Cheers for that OP!

i shall definitely try this out tonight!

also, what part should i choose to easily get to the watch tower?

it's totally random man. it either spawns or not. it spawns in the same spot though. u can google it for the northern highlands map.

To those who say random is random my answer would be: I started to memorize items. what drops from where and which monster.

I invited to my party, a guy who was whining in general chat, saying that he has never looted any set item, he got his first in our 3rd trial with the northern highlands. Even if blizzard's intention was fully randomizing the drops, obviously they failed. what a surprise lol.
08/08/2012 04:08 PMPosted by SushiX
This is just pure coincidence and speculation. Most of my set items/legendaries are found in Vault of the Assassin, because that's where I farm the most. Get my drift?

when I start farming I farm a whole act. and my claims are based on such farming style.
Have found over 30 legendaries and a dozen set items and not one from the places you listed, it really is random. The worst though is i got an all res nats helm from a stupid little chest in vault the other day that i dont normally click on and just sprint past, but now it has me opening all these crappy chests again and wasting time. Hey look another chest awesome 40 gold and a cracked war hammer /wrists.
08/08/2012 04:13 PMPosted by merichg

when I start farming I farm a whole act. and my claims are based on such farming style.

If you farm a whole act for 5-6 days, surely you'll get a set item/legendary or plans eventually. And that could be anywhere. Try vault of the assassin in act 2. You might come back and claim it's the "best spot" to farm these items, which isn't true, because random really is random. It just depends on where you farm the most.

Good post though.

^this, incredible, a game in which we should hide how we are getting fun for fear of it being nerfed, what happened to you blizzard? you used to be a great company, how you ended like this? your players should be happy sharing with you how they are getting fun, not hide it from you.
08/08/2012 04:20 PMPosted by SushiX

If you farm a whole act for 5-6 days, surely you'll get a set item/legendary or plans eventually. And that could be anywhere. Try vault of the assassin in act 2. You might come back and claim it's the "best spot" to farm these items, which isn't true, because random really is random. It just depends on where you farm the most.

of course this was a long while ago, when I was farming whole acts. now that my observations concluded which spots are the best and where have I encountered such items, I keep farming those only now and I keep looting set items without searching entire act. just let ppl try these spots why are you trying to refute my claim? besides you are talking about act 2 man. most of the ppl cant even kill butcher or farm any act 2 elites.

there is a limit with random looting. have u ever seen, the wounded turning in to zombies while leah is talking, droping anything besides gold? or how many times have you seen purple monsters dropping rare items? do you have any idea about statistics.
I have gotten 2 legendaries and a set item from either inside Leoric's or the champion pack that spawns right outside of it. I assume it was just coincidence but that is half of my legendary/set items.

I do tend to find a lot of blacksmith plans in the festering woods. They are always the ones I already have though~.
What kind of MF is required when doing the runs?
I constantly farm all of those areas except the Tower (Festering Woods first to get NV stacks, then Cemetary more NV, then Leoric's) and I've gotten 1 Legendary and zero set items out of the areas. Constantly meaning 4 or 5 times a day for the last month. Maybe the OPs MF set is better than mine (not wearing in my profile so no point telling me that set sux) but with the stacks I'm still sitting pretty good.