"Factor of four" in 1.0.4 Blog Post

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 17 Next
Terminology interpretation is not what you should worry about.

What you should worry about is, how likely an item roll into something useful.

You can raise drop likelihood to x10 more, but if you also increase the variances or likelihood of items rolling bad x20, you are worse off.

So far that have not indicated any sort of variance increase.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out what, exactly, they indicated in the post.
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now. It's important to note, however, that this will only affect Magic items and Rare items.

So, for example, if doing a full clear of an area currently yields 500 items from non-Elites, it will still yield 500 items after 1.0.4. Whereas you may have only gotten 20 Magic (blue) items and 4 Rare (yellow) item from those non-Elites before, you’ll now get approximately 80 Magic items and 16 Rares.

Hope that helps!

(Next "Blizz" Post)
Thank you very much for the clarification!
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items by "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now.

So, for example, if doing a full clear of an area currently yields 500 items from non-Elites, it will still yield 500 items after 1.0.4. Whereas you may have only gotten 20 Magic (blue) items and 4 Rare (yellow) item from those non-Elites before, you’ll now get approximately 80 Magic items and 16 Rares.

Hope that helps!

Ooh nice it even affects rares!? Will it affect Legendary rates too (however minor lol) ?
Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops

I am now in love") lol hey thanks I need mah upgrades!
08/10/2012 02:59 PMPosted by WhileTrue
Means "We doubled it, then we doubled it again!" lol
This is what the patch note should read. Nothing wrong with a little laugh.
This is good. Thank you for the information, and thanks OP for the well thought out question.
08/10/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Corpsie
This is what the patch note should read. Nothing wrong with a little laugh.

Hm. I've been looking for a way to sneak that in....

You, sir. You have ideas. And I like them.
It means that trash mobs had a chance of 0.0001 to drop a blue item. Now they have a 0.0004 chance to drop a blue item. You will, still, never see them drop items. Once in an absolute blue moon, you might see something now.
08/10/2012 04:06 PMPosted by MindCrook
and thanks OP for the well thought out question

Ditto! I actually just went back to the patch notes and made sure that particular line was clarified. Great question. :)
yey! the more rares the more trash items to vendor :)
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now.

Hope that helps!

They can be 10,000 more drops for all we care. The problem is they are still i53 junk that we have to waste time identifying before we can vendor away.
lylirra I dont understand what wyatt is saying regarding the way skills with "X% damage over time" will interact with attack speed. And I cant figure out how that helps 2H builds; dont 2H builds have slower weapons?
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now.

Hope that helps!

Nice. I've actually gotten more legendaries from white mobs and chests than from rares/champions/elites/bosses. Bring on the factor of four.
08/10/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Lylirra

So like - legendary and set items won't drop for casuals after the patch either?

EDIT: 300+ hours before I quit - no drops - no legendary items - no set items 2 lvl 60's in inferno. I didn't kill Diablo - because I didn't want to.

Is this being addressed?

Will you fix the disparity between people that find 15+ legendaries with no MF and those with 250% MF who have never found anything?

... its obvious that something is in the code besides MF that weights the chances of who finds set and legendary items an who doesn't.