"Factor of four" in 1.0.4 Blog Post

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 17 Next
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now.

So, for example, if doing a full clear of an area currently yields 500 items from non-Elites, it will still yield 500 items after 1.0.4. Whereas you may have only gotten 20 Magic (blue) items and 4 Rare (yellow) item from those non-Elites before, you’ll now get approximately 80 Magic items and 16 Rares.

Hope that helps!

Thought that's what it meant, thanks for clarifying - you're the bestest ♥
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now.

So, for example, if doing a full clear of an area currently yields 500 items from non-Elites, it will still yield 500 items after 1.0.4. Whereas you may have only gotten 20 Magic (blue) items and 4 Rare (yellow) item from those non-Elites before, you’ll now get approximately 80 Magic items and 16 Rares.

Hope that helps!

Increase magical drops to address the drop complaints while at the same time driving down mat prices to increase amount of crafting? I see.
Will it affect legendaries and set items?
08/10/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Santi
yey! the more rares the more trash items to vendor :)

This absolutely means you need to ditch the switch if you want those rares to not all be vendor fodder.

We don't know how MF and switching and all that is going to work though till we hear from Jay Wilson's blog post, but it's safe to assume current switching and going for elites as we do will NOT be optimal. So we've been warned, time to adjust!

Hope that helps!

It does help. I just had to log in so that I could say: GLORIOUS

And yes, now I AM THANKFUL!

Hope that helps!

Is this 4-fold increase being applied to Legendaries as well?
I'd rather just see same drop rate where the items are actually strong instead of four times as much junk.
08/10/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Santi
yey! the more rares the more trash items to vendor :)

Not necessarily. Since they appear to be buffing items as well, you might find something you can actually *GASP* ~USE~!
08/10/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Elaine

Yes, increasing quality by a factor of 4 goes all the way up to legendary. Legendary hunting via whites now should actually be viable. Right now it's not.
08/10/2012 04:19 PMPosted by MasterJay

Yes, increasing quality by a factor of 4 goes all the way up to legendary. Legendary hunting via whites now should actually be viable. Right now it's not.

....-awesome-.

I might finally be able to find some gear in this game that I can use. I haven't touched it in weeks...
umm I'm pretty sure that factor of 4 was refering ONLY to normal mobs. Not elite/champs.
They already drop garbage and never anything good. 0^4 still equals 0.
08/10/2012 04:23 PMPosted by ASCII
umm I'm pretty sure that factor of 4 was refering ONLY to normal mobs. Not elite/champs.

You sir, are correct.
All I read this as is...

20 Magic items becomes 80
4 Rare items becomes 16
0 Legendary items becomes 0.

Some clarification on Legendaries would be nice, but I know it's coming in a future post
Thank god for this patch. Now i dont have to do act 1 butcher/warden runs over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER till my mind goes numb.
As my thread got locked... I repost here:
What Lylirra said:

Hope that helps!

Just to clarify math, people:

When you "increase by a factor of 4", what you are saying that you are ADDING 4x the initial value. This means the the end result is 5x what the initial was. Please clarify your statements, as your explanation above is not consistent with what was said.

Thank you.
08/10/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Lylirra
and thanks OP for the well thought out question

Ditto! I actually just went back to the patch notes and made sure that particular line was clarified. Great question. :)

Might be helpful to clarify the language in the blog post, too.
08/10/2012 04:17 PMPosted by mcstew
Is this 4-fold increase being applied to Legendaries as well?

Negative, it only affects Magic items and Rare items (apologies for the confusion).