"Factor of four" in 1.0.4 Blog Post

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 17 Next
Thank you Lylirra, for the clarification! Your replies are much appreciated. I also do apologize for the wording in the title of the other thread.
Zero good drops multiplied by a factor of four...

Any mathigician around here who can guesstimate how many good drops 104 mobs will yield?
Does this drop rate buff only apply for inferno difficulty? What about act 3/4 in hell?
08/10/2012 04:33 PMPosted by odyoda
Thank you Lylirra, for the clarification! Your replies are much appreciated. I also do apologize for the wording in the title of the other thread.

No worries! Just never do it again.

*makes the "I'm watching you" gesture*
08/10/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Lylirra
Negative, it only affects Magic items and Rare items (apologies for the confusion).

I've played hundreds of hours - and other players have too- and never found a single set or legendary item.

Is anything being done about this?
08/10/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Grstaka
Negative, it only affects Magic items and Rare items (apologies for the confusion).

I've played hundreds of hours - and other players have too- and never found a single set or legendary item.

Is anything being done about this?

Something needs to be done. "Buffing" their quality doesn't make up for the fact that they are a blue moon occurrence.
08/10/2012 02:59 PMPosted by WhileTrue
Means "We doubled it, then we doubled it again!" lol

08/10/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is what the patch note should read. Nothing wrong with a little laugh.

Hm. I've been looking for a way to sneak that in....

You, sir. You have ideas. And I like them.

I expect my name to be written in huge bold letters sidescrolling in the background behind that quote since im copywriting it.
Is this 4-fold increase being applied to Legendaries as well?

This is very interesting, and defiantly pertains to some questions persons have raised regarding legendary generation.

You seem to be saying that the change only results in more Magic and rare items. That this change will not increase the amount of legendary or set items that are dropped.

So, it's possible to add a factor that increases generation of Magic and Rare items, yet limit that factor such that it does not increase Legendary / Set generation, regardless of the MF on the character, right?

Or am I reading too much into your post?

Edit: Similar to the question Anuhart raised.
08/10/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Anuhart
How can legendaries now be excluded in the '4 fold' boost in drop rates.

This only reinforces my theory that legendary and set item drops are not based off MF at all but upon a hidden system. This would explain why most of us never have found anything after 300-400 hours played while some of us have found 15-16 legendary items in under 200 hours played.
Just to clarify, we aren't making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we're changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we're increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items "by a factor of four," it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or "4x") the amount of magical items as they do now.

So, for example, if doing a full clear of an area currently yields 500 items from non-Elites, it will still yield 500 items after 1.0.4. Whereas you may have only gotten 20 Magic (blue) items and 4 Rare (yellow) item from those non-Elites before, you’ll now get approximately 80 Magic items and 16 Rares.

Hope that helps!

From a player's point of view, that IS literally 4x the item drops, because most of the players don't really consider white items as actual drops
08/10/2012 04:42 PMPosted by Grstaka

This only reinforces my theory that legendary and set item drops are not based off MF at all but upon a hidden system. This would explain why most of us never have found anything after 300-400 hours played while some of us have found 15-16 legendary items in under 200 hours played.

Based upon what has been posted, I tend to agree with your interpretation.

Obviously, we don't know exactly how MF works. But that post does seem to indicate that a component was left out of previous explanations.
"we’re improving two-handed melee weapons by creating a new set of stronger affixes to compensate for the loss of stats that can come from your offhand"

Are these new affixes affecting current 2hand weapons or only ones post 1.04?
08/10/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Anuhart

Hang on.

I thought a roll, modified by MF decided whether an item was..

Legendary
6 affix rare
5 affix rare
4 affix rare
3 affix magic
etc.

And again, can you explain how multiple identical rare items are dropping at separate times in a supposed random roll on kill system?

Same question as this guy.

Um? while its awesome that someone got there head outa there !@# and realized the stats rolls/power of 2handed weapons was fair at best ............legendary and set items dropping at few and far between is not acceptable to the majority of this games player base. In daiblo 2 you killed bosses/rare mobs and you often got set items /legendaries. I dont think i've ever gotten a legendary item from a boss or rare mob in Diablo 3. Ive gotten 4 horrible legendary items in the 1oos of hours i spent before i stopped playing and i got 1 set item from a random chest once. This is not cool nor is it fun; so what is the development teams solution to this ? If this isnt addressed alot of people still wont play this game or want to return to playing it. People should be expected on Inferno Difficulty to at least be gettin a legendary/set item every 2-10hours depending on the quality not every 1-600+hours like it is now;regardless if your stacking MF or not.

thanks;
think this is the most rational post ive ever made on these forums.

That's ok! Almost all the legendaries I've gotten have come from trash mobs for some reason. Or dead bodies. Or coffins. Maybe it's because I never pass up dead bodies, coffins, or trash mobs. Still seems weird.
does it help with the quality of the rare or magic items that drops from elites and bosses? I think that would've been an easier and better fix, than what drops from white mobs which rarely drop anything. Wouldn't have needed to increase drop rate either.