Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 19 20 21 26 Next
08/26/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Peter
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.

Poison Dart - Splinters
Acid Cloud - Slow burn

1. Spirit Walk - Jaunt
2. Fetish Army - Head Hunters
3. Gargantuan - Bruiser
4. Zombie Dogs - Leeching Beasts

Spiritual Attunement
Pierce The Veil
Jungle Fortitude

DPS: 70k (no buffs)
Armor: 2700
Health: 40k
All res: 500
Life regen: 800
Crit chance: +35%
Crit damage: +184
MF: 232 (base)

When I complete my Zunni set I will remove Spiritual Attunement and replace it with Zombie Handler or Fierce Loyalty. I just use it now for the extra mana and mana regen for 3 more acid clouds. Gonna focus more on buffing my pets now and less on MF.
08/26/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Peter
On that note folks, if you have a pet build that can clear all of Inferno, including Diablo, please post it along with your stats and build so that people can have an idea on what works.

Allrighty then. Here goes:

Left Mouse Button: Rain of Toads
Right Mouse: Spirit walk (Healing Journey)

Slot 1: Mass Confusion (Mass Hysteria)
Slot 2: Hex (Hedge Magic)
Slot 3: Zombie Dogs (Burning Dogs)
Slot 4: Garg (any works, but I use Bruiser)

Passive 1: Fierce Loyalty
Passive 2: Zombie Handler
Passive 3: Jungle Fortitude

Stats:

HP: 53348 (been doing so since 45k hp though)
Armor: 6k
Res All: 440 (been doing so since 350 res all though)
LoH: 969 (working since 720 though, at 300 I could farm act 3, but not kill diablo)
Regen per second: 435
DPS: 21253 (was at 23k at the lower hp, loh, and res all stats... just for an idea)

Chance to stun 2.7%
Chance to freeze 3.8%
Chance to knock back 4.2%
Chance to Blind 2%

NOTE: I put the above in bold as this stat/skill set-up was originally put together as I was in the middle of gearing for CC pre-patch, and simply couldn't afford to change afterward. I found this set-up works well with CCs to proc. Also of note is that Belial is immune to all status affects that I've tried. So this set-up may need tweaking for that fight. I did okay with it, but there were some close calls.

This set-up allows me to farm alone or with a party of at least okay players. When solo, I usually forget to bring a follower with me, as this is all i need.

The above is my stats and skills, I'm now about to go into a little explanation as to why I chose the skills i did, if you don't care/don't want to know. treat the rest as tl;dr.

Rain of Toads: Now that the mana cost has been reduced this skill is entirely spamable without needing any extra mana regen. (I have only the base. no on weapon etc.) Also, not only does it provide 130% weapon DPS at practically no cost, you can the equivalent of three casts going at any one time. (This is exceedingly useful for the LoH, as every half second it returns 3 times your listed LoH). I also discovered this skill procs the CCs I had very, very well. (I manage to freeze/stun Diablo about once every 3 seconds. May not be a perma-lock, but it helps a lot especially when it interrupts his casting of Spike Traps or his casting of the rings of fire.)

Spirit Walk: Still a good "Oh shi-!" button. As, for those who don't know, it will break you out of jailer, fear, stun, and frozen. It lets you move across a field of desecration pits without singing your feet, and will let you move through arcane lazers without injury. The reason I go Healing Journey, is that will heal both myself and my pets.

Mass Confusion: First off, I know many who will swear by Horrify (especially with the armor rune). And I can't deny, at times that skill will do pretty much what this will for you and your pets. So switch if you want. As for me choosing this route, one, I enjoy watching enemies bash on each-other, not to mention this is a CC build. Two, with the rune combo, if you find yourself swarmed this will cause the enemies to pull off you for a few seconds (usually all you need). As well as triggering two different possible status affects in case they don't get confused. (For those who don't know, this confusion is a weird one, as the confused enemies only attack other enemies, not you or your pets while confused... So it's like charmed, but you can still hit them and they won't turn on you again.) The third and more important reason, is this skill, with this rune, allows you to interrupt boss attacks . The next time you see diablo triggering an attack you aren't ready for, or that blasted siegebreaker is moving to swipe your almost dead garg for the kill. Pop this skill and it will stun then, interrupting the attack, and giving you breathing room.

Hex: This is another skill that can be exchanged for another. Most notably BBV with Ghost Trance. The primary purpose of this skill slot in this build, is healing when spirit walk is on cool-down, or you need to save it for specific attacks in boss fights. I go with the hex skill because 1: it's mobile. The fetish will move with you no-matter where you go, and continue to heal occasionally. (not a lot, I admit, but enough that it will save your hide.) Two: the chicken effect will reduce the threat level of the nearest enemy (not as random as it first seemed) to that of a defenseless chicken for a couple seconds. In other words, if that phase-beast elite decides its hungrier for you than your pets, this will keep him from potentially ruining your day. And thirdly: might as well be no cool-down. The amount of time this skill is active is about a second shorter than it's cool-down. Allowing you to have a constant stream of hp during any long drawn-out fights. The chicken affect also supports the idea of having a CC build.

NOTE: it also works on certain bosses, such as belial during the second stage of the fight, as well as on Izual. I have to admit, the joy of watching Izzy reduced to a chicken every couple seconds brings a smile to my face every-time. (It also works on one's clone in the realm of shadow. and anyone can attest that there are times that your clone can be worse than big D. Especially in a public game)

Zombie Dogs: clearly, it's a pet build. So the dogs are gonna be here. I chose burning dogs because I'm also working on CCs. Although Rain of Toads procs fairly often, this increases the chance just a slight smidgeon more. Which is entirely helpful for a CC build. The fire also draws away some attention from yourself when you hit a big swarm, like the Stygian crawlers in act 3. But the choice of pets is up to you.

Gargantuan: Where would a pet build be if we didn't include our big loveable buddy. The choice of Garg is entirely up to play-style. (Though some changes will be suggested later for slightly different builds). I go Bruiser because firstly: hitting for twice my DPS every so often makes a big difference in times to kill enemies when you take into account my over-all low DPS build. Secondly, having that extra chance of stunning an enemy from his power-attack just increases the CC of this build.

Fierce Loyalty: Reasons are obvious. The passive regen, plus healing Journey. Obviously, if you don't have any passive regen, and decided on a different spirit walk (or a different skill altogether, I'm all for people playing to their own style) that clearly this passive should be tossed as well.

Zombie Handler: Two reasons for this. Firstly, more hp for your tanking pets means they have a better chance of surviving AoE damage. (which is what usually kills your pets). Secondly, a fourth burning dog moves their proc chance up a bit more. As well as serving to increase their tendency to draw the attention off yourself.

Jungle Fort: less damage to you and your pets = longer life for you and your pets. Like any of the above passives, feel free to exchange this one for something that fits your style of play better if you like.
08/27/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Special

How are you dying in Phase 3? Pets not surviving?

Both me and pets don't survive. Mostly from his flame circles and my shadow. I'm running on pure DoT, but I can also use some burst DPS skills to help with damage. Any ideas on which skills can I add/rearrange? As for my gears, are they sufficient or which areas should I build up first in order to strike a good balance for survivability and DPS and hopefully have a chance to defeat diablo? Thanks

You could use Fierce Loyalty to transfer your Life Regen to your pets.
Also use Horrify - Frightening Aspect. Cast it when Diablo casts the Flame Circle and quickly run away. Hopefully your pets can survive it.
So I want to do a pet build with FL JF and ZH aswell. whats the right amount of thorns life regain to shoot for so I dont totally gimp myself of dps.
08/28/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Dagnius
So I want to do a pet build with FL JF and ZH aswell. whats the right amount of thorns life regain to shoot for so I dont totally gimp myself of dps.

It's hard to give a good estimate of stats. Have a look at my guide under Advanced Information. I gave sample stat numbers.

The more armor/resistances you have, the less Life Regen you need, and vice versa.

Thorns, not sure if it's good. In theory it is good for packs of mobs, and is a "dps boost" for zombie dogs. Can be good for farming.

But not as good for bosses.
I use thorns in my build. I tend to try and keep it around 4k though I do want higher. Thorns+Leeching beasts+1k regen means my dogs don't die much.

At 4k everytime the dogs get hit they get around 8-900 life (co-efficient seems to be affecting them) and so do I. I have 0% Life leech or LoH, if I get a bit low I run around a bit and the dogs pull me up.

So we both get health on dogs attacking and when they are attacked. My most fun fights are melee oriented reflect damage packs. They go down in seconds and my health bar never moves when i'm spamming on them. Not even on horde packs.

Apparently the reflect counts as a physical hit, which procs thorns and it's heal, which procs their reflect, etc. Vicious cycle for them, fun for me since in roughly 30 seconds they go boom.
08/28/2012 06:50 AMPosted by Kushinade
Apparently the reflect counts as a physical hit, which procs thorns and it's heal, which procs their reflect, etc. Vicious cycle for them, fun for me since in roughly 30 seconds they go boom.

Very interesting! I didn't know they do that.
I wonder if that's why I see an absurd massive stream of red flow coming from me even with out dots or auras on pets when I see a reflect. Cause seriously it spews out like mad. I'm a damn red fountain of tiny numbers. Least I think they're numbers, it mostly looks like a giant red ugly blur.

Anyway, Peter, I was thinking about the force armor stuff and it has me thinking about how it would decide exactly how it would deal with the same kind of variation that the Wiz's Force Armor does. Specifically I mean the Wizard is capped at 35%. So just... I mean maybe it just uses 35%? It sure as heck isn't based off the armor/resist 'and' base HP otherwise it would get smaller and smaller. I mean think about it, 5000/500 nets you 85%, that's 15% 'force armor'. Anything over 115% of 10000? That seems almost like a down grade to base it off of 'base health' and have it get crappier and crappier with better resistances. Pretty sure it doesn't too since high enough seems to help that quite a bit.

Just I guess has me curious, I know you tested with little equipment on to get base values for the most part or tried to stick to a 50%/50% situation. Anyway I figure it's either static % based off max HP, or it uses the combined % (such as the aforementioned 85%) as the threshold, while using the remainder, 15% as the 'cap'. Also very curious if this is an unintended side effect 'of' Force Armor vs there actual design. I mean, so far, 'lots of hits' from 1 enemy hasn't been nearly as deadly as these awkward, Force Armor breaking giant hits.
Has anyone verified whether DoT's from Acid Cloud stack? If not, the Corpse Bomb Rune may be best for more max damage from spam.
@halfgodz: ground dots don't stack. they just refresh duration. rain of toad spam stacks though... corpse bomb is only good if your acid cloud is the primary spammable attack. it's more dps if you drop a couple dots and then spam while they tick. ie: acid cloud slow burn + spamming toads/firebomb would be more damage. which is why i use searing locusts, firebomb, and gotd (might switch back to slow burn)

what i DON'T know is whether the same dots from separate witch doctors stack.

i also need to find out if followers can proc legendary effects (like summoning the demon with fire chains.. or the lightning when they are hit... that'd be a huge dps increase)... okay. my enchantress procs the charm from tormentor and the angel from skycutter. wooh!
Yeah no idea on followers, but I definitely plan to get Maximus one day. That's my goal for end-game weaponry there for my self.from what I've seen it has a stupidly high %chance of being summoned once hes not summoned and there isn't a long CD involved with that (like once every 60 seconds) he'll just show right back up.

And yeah definitely no stacking, I tested every rune earlier in this thread to confirm that. I've recently swapped over to blob and searing locust. Once you get locust up + blob that' about 107% dmg (per second) to everything that has a blob near it. Which can pretty easily be majority of your screen. Throwing in a primary for freebs spamm like Terihlon is definitely the best sustained DPS you can muster with WD, though I still prefer my sacrifice. And the mobility of not spamming.

Also, kinda antisipating that Maximus, min of +20% to fire skills. Locust should do about 70% dmg per second which kicks that up to 130% dps to anything with a blob near it (once locust is up). And that can be, as said before, a lot of monsters all taking that at once while you can run around freely. Not counting minion dmg of course, to a single mob that ends up being 305.6 if your using Fire Pets. But that's all based off having a min-rolled Maximus... gadda have are goals ya know?
i was wondering about the +fire on that legendary... i might prefer the chains demon... would be awesome to have a follower with one out too.
I went Semi-Tanky / Crit/Crit Dmg.... it works wonders...

Check my profile to see the stats and build!
Yeah the 5% Fire dmg (on it and Sankis) actually is 5% to your DPS total 'as fire' (which ends up not being fire cause of skills). Think of it like IAS, minus it making you faster. Basically it doesn't just effect fire dmg or anything. the %dmg to fire skills would function like a %DPS increase in relation to those (or % of the % which is the same thing).

Reason I equated it to about 130% is cause its easier to understand then saying my DPS goes up by 20%... ultimately the numbers are the same. As for the actual proc, from what I've found looking it up the demon does about I think 34k avg dmg a hit and the fire chain is 1-2k per .3 seconds. Which makes some interesting positional stuff for us.

On top of all that the demons proc chance apparently super high up there. So even with a low cast rate build like mine (I don't spam anything) I should see the demon often enough to be worth it.
Is there a legendary weapon that jacks up your poison damage like these fire weapons? I was thinking that would be a nice boost to Plague of Toads and Acid Rain for sure.
Not that I'm aware of any sadly, sure would be nice. So far I've only seen 2 weapons with 15-25% fire skills and Frostburns is the same but cold skills. Got one in stash for my Wiz when he hits 60. Gonna rock cold dmg meteor and hydras with his arcane torrent... get some use outa those gloves.

Right now I'm wishing Garg had a fire based rune. I mean, technically he does, but 15 seconds every minute blows hard. More so when it's just a 10% dps increase from what I can tell. I figured it was an 'added' +110% on top of his base 100%, but its still vs a single target and doesn't get any of the other !@#$. Restless giant is more dmg (from my tests), faster attack (so even 'more' dps) and is around at base for the 'rest' of the 15 seconds hes not trippin' zerk-balls.

They seriously need to re-think that rune. Like heavily buff up his attack, give him a good %dmg fire aura, maybe have the rune also cut the CD down to 30 seconds so you can only have him out half the overall time frame. Even if my test where just poorly done and it really is 100% physical + 110% fire.. that's still wildly under Restless Giant... runes just pointless as hell.
Folks I just tested that "Reduces damage from melee attacks" does not benefit pets.

Full Gear Stats
Damage Reduction from Armor: 61.77%
Damage Reduction from Resistances: 70.21%
Damage Taken: 11.39%

Risen data (zombie found in Act 1)
Risen Life: 31120
Risen Damage done to me in my full gear: 2204 to 4054
Risen Full Damage: 19352.49 to 35596.63

I have 2 sets of test gear, both of them have similar stats, except that one has melee reduction and one doesn't.

Test Gear Stats
Damage Reduction from Armor: 25.54%
Damage Reduction from Resistances: 13.79%
Damage Taken: 64.19%
Risen Damage on test gear: 12422.74 to 22850.18

Amount of Melee Reduction on gear set with it: 23.66%

How The Test Works
Notice that if I use my test gear that will make me receive 64.19% of the damage, the Risen will do 12422.74 to 22850.18. Take note of the highest possible recorded damage it can deal out, 22850.18.

My theory on Force Armor is that it will cap at most 20,000 damage (10,000 from Force Armor, 10,000 from max absorb). The maximum recorded damage it can deal will surpass the 20,000 mark, and cause my dog to lose life than what Force Armor can cap.

If Melee Reduction gear worked, with 23.66%, it would reduce the Risen's damage to 9483.52 to 17443.83, below the 20,000 mark.

As an experiment control, I also used a damage reduction ability that is guaranteed to work, Jungle Fortitude. With 20% damage reduction, it will reduce the Risen's damage to 9938.19 to 18280.14, also below the 20,000 mark.

Test Results
Zombie Dog base regeneration: 142.3
Damage received after Test Gear: 64.19%
Force Armor Cap: 10,000 * 64.19% = 6419 damage

The dog is hit once by the Risen, then I cast confusion and teleport to town. I then calculate the time it takes for the dog to fully heal itself.

Using Test Gear without Melee Reduction
Time Taken: Life healed
68 seconds: 9676.4
44 seconds: 6261.2
66 seconds: 9391.8
45 seconds: 6403.5

For 2, 4 and 5, it takes 44 to 45 seconds, resulting in 6261 or 6403 damage. If you take into account the variations due to human error, the numbers are close to the Force Armor cap. This means that these hits are fully capped.

However, for hits 1 and 3, it takes a good deal longer for the dog to fully heal itself, 9676.4 and 9391.8 damage. This shows that Force Armor did not fully cap it, causing some remaining damage to hit the dog. The Risen must have hit close to it's max possible damage.

Using Test Gear With Jungle Fortitude

Notice that the numbers are all roughly the same, and they are close to the Force Armor cap. This is to be expected, because Jungle Fortitude lowered the Risen's damage to 9938.19 to 18280.14, below the 20,000 mark. Jungle Fortitude does work, there is no if or but. It will reduce the damage of the Risen, and it lowered the Risen's damage enough so that Force armor will fully cap the damage taken to ~6400.

Now, we test Melee Reduction. If it works, it should also display similar results to Jungle Fortitude.

Using Test Gear 23.66% Melee Reduction
69 seconds: 9818.7

There is no need to test further. The 2nd hit already displayed the damning evidence. Melee Reduction did not reduce the Risen's damage, and its 2nd hit crossed the threshold and gave extra damage to the dog.

Conclusion:
1. Reduces damage from Melee attacks stat does not benefit pets.
2. Jungle Fortitude unfortunately does not further reduce the damage cap of Force Armor. Force Armor damage seems to be only reduced by Armor and Resistances.
3. My Force Armor theory on there being a max absorb amount is strengthened further with this test, making it possible that it is accurate.
You are incorrect on a few things -

1) Rabid Dogs still proc things like life on hit and CC effects

2) You don't mention the high CC proc chances on Spider Queen and another good AoE ability Acid Cloud

3) Pets DO benefit from % damage reduction and AFAIK they do NOT benefit from dodge
- If you want to debate this on the forums, you are trolling. If you want to do real testing, pick up a cheap string of ears and test with it, and without it, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

My pets can facetank most everything in act 3 with very little problems and a great deal of things in act 4 INFERNO. I am fairly sure it is only because of the % melee damage reduction because when I run with my MF gear (which has 0% melee damage reduction) they don't last anywhere near as long. Getting % damage reduction also frees up one of your passive slots as stacking % reduction only makes that ability less desirable (at least from the testing I did with it).

It honestly isn't that hard to stack up % damage reduction because after ~30% the diminishing returns start to kick in and you are better off stacking reduced damage from elites, which is honestly the only thing that you need to worry about after you have 30% melee reduction anyway.
3 samples is all you used...? Really?
You are incorrect on a few things -

1) Rabid Dogs still proc things like life on hit and CC effects

2) You don't mention the high CC proc chances on Spider Queen and another good AoE ability Acid Cloud

3) Pets DO benefit from % damage reduction and AFAIK they do NOT benefit from dodge
- If you want to debate this on the forums, you are trolling. If you want to do real testing, pick up a cheap string of ears and test with it, and without it, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

My pets can facetank most everything in act 3 with very little problems and a great deal of things in act 4 INFERNO. I am fairly sure it is only because of the % melee damage reduction because when I run with my MF gear (which has 0% melee damage reduction) they don't last anywhere near as long. Getting % damage reduction also frees up one of your passive slots as stacking % reduction only makes that ability less desirable (at least from the testing I did with it).

It honestly isn't that hard to stack up % damage reduction because after ~30% the diminishing returns start to kick in and you are better off stacking reduced damage from elites, which is honestly the only thing that you need to worry about after you have 30% melee reduction anyway.

1. I never experienced or tested it because back then everyone and their dog was using burning dogs. If someone else can confirm that rabid dogs do proc, I'll add it in.
2. This guide concerns pets only, not the whole list of spells.
3. I did buy a cheap string of gears to help boost my melee damage reduction to 23.66%.

Trolling? Is that what you call the monolithic testing I did in the post before yours? You need to either show that my testing was wrong, and present a test of your own that proves that melee reduction does help pets.

My pets can also facetank and even beat Diablo, without melee reduction. Your main gear could have better stats to explain why your pets are surviving better, not necessarily because of melee damage reduction.

"As far as you know" dodge doesn't benefit pets? Unless something changed in 1.0.4, I have done the dodge test since the very beginning right here, under 2.7, and pets do benefit from dodge.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271500086