+x% Elemental Damage mechanic: blue clarify!

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 14 Next
09/04/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Zigeye
If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions.

Just about anything would be better. But if u NEED it to be simple how about just removing the "to"

Adds X% Elemental Damage

Letting people know that it ONLY effects physical would be nice too:

Adds X% Elemental Damage to Physical

Yep. The word "to" is actually the only problem.
the fact that these mods only affect physical damage done is really really stupid.

at least 75% of all weapons players use have significant amounts of elemental damage.
"Adds +x% damage as Fire"

or

"+x% bonus Fire damage"

Either way, it's still a strangely coded ability, as we're taught to basically ignore elemental damage on weapons as they all function the same. Except now, they don't.
Yet another reason why Skorn is awesome.
Can you please explain why it is coded to add 2 * (x%) min damage instead of x% min + x% max?

Note: I have personally done the math and I can tell you, without doubt, that it currently adds 2 * (x%) min and ignores the max damage on your wep.

I've reached out to our developers, programmers, and QA about the current functionality. Once I have more information, I'll respond back to the thread.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Have you gotten more information about this? Is there a reason it's only using the minimum damage of your items instead of the average of the min & max? This makes the damage bonus significantly lower than it would be if it used a proper average.

I don't know what this user means when they say "2 * (x%)", it really just uses the straight min damage, which is verified by using that calculation in my spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkQujOGYdKOxdDJ0eFNiREZFTEFiVW9Sc0ZOa1JyYVE#gid=6

It adds an amount equal to your physical minimum damage. No more, no less. It should be (min + max) / 2.
If you are still looking for a suggestion for the wording, how about "adds x% of physical damage as fire" or "adds fire damage of x% physical damage"?
Why does the dmg from "+%(elemental) dmg" only add to weapons without elemental Dmg?

This means weapons which have no elemental damage are the best in the game.

Again why create this scenario when elemental weapons have no statistical benefits in the first place? Lighting/fire/poison appear to serve no purpose. They're also gimped because they do not receive the full "+%elemental dmg" bonus from Inna's and Zunni (among other sets)...
another symptom of the loss of Blizzard North
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:
  • Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
  • You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:
  • Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
  • The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
  • +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn't benefit from "+X-Y Elemental Damage" affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

Can this get a sticky or something cause I'm constantly having to re-explain this and nobody seems to get it...
Can you please explain why it is coded to add 2 * (x%) min damage instead of x% min + x% max?

Note: I have personally done the math and I can tell you, without doubt, that it currently adds 2 * (x%) min and ignores the max damage on your wep.

I've reached out to our developers, programmers, and QA about the current functionality. Once I have more information, I'll respond back to the thread.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Thanks, I look forward to your response. I would like to see a detailed explanaton like "Developer Journal: Crowd Control Changes"

He did a very good job explaining and using example ideas.
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:
  • Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
  • You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:
  • Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
  • The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
  • +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn't benefit from "+X-Y Elemental Damage" affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

Suggestion: "Add 3% of your damage as fire damage"
What about Tal Rasha's bet bonus?
Does this fire dmg bonus only affect e.g meteordmg or is this also calculatet into overall dps?
Heards smth that this bonus is calculatet into overall dps but is NOT SHOWN in the chracter screen.
What about Tal Rasha's bet bonus?
Does this fire dmg bonus only affect e.g meteordmg or is this also calculatet into overall dps?
Heards smth that this bonus is calculatet into overall dps but is NOT SHOWN in the chracter screen.

No, the 1.0.4 Tal bonus is just as stated

its just +3% to fire skills ie

- Meteor (3 of 5 runes)
- 1 rune of Shock Pulse
- 2 runes of Hydra (unruned and Mammoth)

The old Tal set, worked differently (ie the same way as this thread explains)
So Triumvirate Zuni Boots and Stormcrow would be best in slot e.g. i have 150k dmg because those item would add a decent amount of dmg?

Set bonus is good for what?
I play Arcane Orb build and have the 3 piece bonus from the set.

Lightning Dmg and Fire DMG
Is desintegration fire dmg?
Feels backwards. A weapon that adds +3% poison damage should increase all poison damage by 3%. That means that using a skill that keeps damage types of a weapon, it should only increase the poison damage on that weapon (if any). The real use of it would be if you had a skill that changes to poison damage, where the +3% poison would be a full 3% overall damage increase using that skill.

Using THAT system, elemental damage bonuses and skills get a good bit of interplay, and you would want to choose them based both on your skills and weapons or vice versa. This is the way I THOUGHT it worked based on the wording and the fact that it is the most interesting and sensible way for it to work.
Elemental damage bonus is applied over physical damage and displayed at the DPS player sheet.
Bonus v. elites is applied over what? (and not displayed)
My SOJ has also +6% elemental arrow damage. That applies over what? (not displayed either).
Any feedback on SOJ bonus mechanics would be appreciated.
Is there any confirmation if
1. they stack? i.e. 3 % ligthning from tal rasha and 3 % fire from a source just means 6% total damgage?
2. doies this apply to every item that says inccrease elemental damage?
Ok wait hold the phone. So does that mean http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/triumvirate can give me 6% fire ,lighting and arcane damage to my weapon?

Also the fix to the tooltip is simple

Change from : Adds % to elemental damage
Into : Adds % elemental damage