Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 17 18 19 26 Next
I just took off Fierce Loyalty and it seems my pets aren't healing from the life I gain off of my LOH. Is that true? Or am I imagining things. Could it also be because they no longer have the thorns so the damage they do is so negligent that they don't seem to be healing anymore? I took up zombie handler and my pets seem to be way less tanky.
Pet have not gain life via Loh for a very LONG time.

They only take your life regen if you have it. and leeching dogs do heal via thorns, but at the same nerfed rates as life steal.
Hmmm, must be the thorns then. Cause they went from really tanky, to not tanky at all. I only have 450 or so life regen and that doesn't seem like enough to literally keep their health bar from moving to noticeably dropping. The 20% extra life should have alone made them more tanky but it seemed to do otherwise. Looks like I gotta keep my thorns then.

Just to be sure, I'm not talking about them proccing LOH. I'm talking about them healing off my LOH by it counting as life regen and transferring to them through Fierce Loyalty.
yeah but they take your life regen if you have Fierce Loyalty otherwise they will only have their basic life regen + the life that they get from doing dmg if having leeching beast rune.

Can Pets Be Healed? (must take Fierce Loyalty Skill)•From Stats•Life Regeneration: Yes•Thorns: Yes (Only for Zombie Dogs. Must use Leeching Beasts). Thorns count as THEIR damage. Be warned that the amount healed from Leeching Beasts will be reduced from 50% to 10% in Inferno mode. Note: Does not require Fierce Loyalty Skill.•Life Steal: No •Life On hit: No •Life Per kill: No •From Abilities•Firebats + Vampire Bats Rune: No•Haunt + Consuming Spirit: No•Spirit Barrage + Phlebotomize: No•Spirit Walk + Healing Journey: Yes (Life Regeneration stat is boosted temporarily)•From Passive Skills•Blood Ritual Skill: Yes

so they won't be healed from you LoH. If you want to keep them alive without Firce Loyalty then you should get rid of mobs before they could seriously harm your pets by increasing your dps. For example I'm using GI as passive so that my cooldowns are shorter iand i can respawn them much quicker. But the Thing of the Deep mojo is essencial to make GI work properly.
So that 450 life regen is making that big a difference in their tankiness? Or is it the thorns? Want to upgrade my gear and don't know if I should be looking for thorns anymore. Limits a lot of my upgrades. I'm looking just to tank pretty much.
the answer is both :)

they benefit from your life regen and leeching ability when they hit the target and they get life when they are hit coz of the torns. My life regen is mediocre, I have only 700 per sec and when having firce loyalty with my AR and armor bonuses they where hard to take down even with burning dogs rune...
I notice a number of times there is mention of MP levels. What is this and how does one activate it?

I am currently farming Inferno Act3 and haven't finished Inferno Act4. Just about 2/3 way through and didn't find it worth hunting compared to Act3. Do I need to finish Act4 to enable the MP level?
@VoBomaye

Pets do NOT gain any benefits at all from your LoH, regardless if you meant they proc LoH by themselves or they heal from the LoH you proc.

The only 'healing' pets get from you is from life regen, and thats only if you take the fierce loyalty passive.

Pets do have an inbuilt life regen but as for how much, this i'm not sure, perhaps more experienced WDs can tell you.

Your dogs do heal from thorns damage, but this is only if you meet 2 requirements.
1) You must have the fierce loyalty passive for pets to gain thorns
2) You must have the leeching beast rune for dogs.

Reason behind this is due to thorns damage done being counted as the dogs doing damage as well, hence proccing the leeching beast rune.

Hope i've answered your questions =)
I notice a number of times there is mention of MP levels. What is this and how does one activate it?

I am currently farming Inferno Act3 and haven't finished Inferno Act4. Just about 2/3 way through and didn't find it worth hunting compared to Act3. Do I need to finish Act4 to enable the MP level?

the upcoming patch will unable you to select the power of monsters. By setting the MP1 the whole inferno mobs will become lvl 63. The higher the MP level the more difficulty it will be to take them down but you will be rewarded with more exp and better loot as the MF will cap over todays max set at 370%.
Thanks Nightcross and Thunder. I guess now I just gotta figure out which one is doing most of the healing, thorns or my pretty low life regen. Hoping its the latter. Thorns is pretty hard to find a high number of on items.
Hello all,
Peter has told me in game that he is having some issue posting on forums at this time, but he is in fact reading and will respond when the bug is resolved.
@TheThunder. Thanks very much for the explanation, it's a big help and it won't drive me crazy searching for that option till the next patch! lol
Does anyone know if the bonus % to plague of toads damage from maras and last breath stack?
Hello all,
Peter has told me in game that he is having some issue posting on forums at this time, but he is in fact reading and will respond when the bug is resolved.

Ah, I thought he is playing guild wars or something. hehe. Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
has anybody tested grave injustice healing with pets?

just wondering if it works
Good question. I'd like to know how that works too.

Separate question, anyone just sat there and watched their life regen tick? It seems like its 2 ticks every second for half your life regen? But then I randomly got more than that. I was ticking for 373 then suddenly it shot up to 450+ for a few ticks then back down to its usual. I did nothing but standstill with nothing around me.
Hey guys and girls, been lurking on this thread and its predecessors for a while. I've learned a lot, poured out a bottle of Scotch on the grave of pet permastunfreeze and am currently looking for some new ideas of what to do with myself.

Made it to Act 3 recently and while I still die sometimes, it's not terrible. Just trying to stay ahead of the curve with my gear. I know there's a lot of room for improvement, but if anyone has any advice on where to get some bang for my one million gold, that would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding my skills, the idea is that I spam Zombie Bears, Sacrifice my Dogs to refill my mana, recast Dogs if possible, then continue to spam Bears. It'll come as no surprise that I crap out if I run out of mana after the Sacrifice. I'd really like to keep Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan but I'm not married to the rest of my skills. I like the idea of Sacrifice but I could do something else.

A note on gear--I found that amulet myself. It seems like it would sell for a lot. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself because I could make that money go further buying multiple pieces, but I'm not sure that it's not something Doctors don't want eventually.

Thanks to Peter and everyone else for their hard work on testing skills and gear, and for exchanging ideas.

EDIT: And if my skills change, at the time I posted I was using Zombie Bears, Spirit Walk with HP recovery, Soul Harvest with increased duration, Sacrifce with mana restore, Gargantuan with the rune that makes him huge when he faces a crowd or an elite, and Leaching Beasts. Passives were Jungle Fortitude, Tribal Rites (so I can Sacrifice Dogs faster) and Zombie Handler.
Finally, I can post again! I HAVE RETURNED!

Yes, I (in a co-op game) beat Diablo, does it count? : )

And Peter, perhaps it could be a personal, but I sent you and other friends from this thread friend requests. Has anyone received something? I can not understand why all my requests are unresponded. Of course everyone can deny me, but could be a problem about my server settings?

I just checked just now, and I did not receive your friend request.

Made it to Act 3 recently and while I still die sometimes, it's not terrible. Just trying to stay ahead of the curve with my gear. I know there's a lot of room for improvement, but if anyone has any advice on where to get some bang for my one million gold, that would be greatly appreciated.

I would wait till prices for gear drop in 1.0.5 before you buy.
Because you use a mojo, it will be harder for you to be defensive. You could switch to a shield for better defense.
If you want your mojo, then you need better gear.
But, I think a few adjustments to your skills may help you survive better.

Regarding my skills, the idea is that I spam Zombie Bears, Sacrifice my Dogs to refill my mana, recast Dogs if possible, then continue to spam Bears. It'll come as no surprise that I crap out if I run out of mana after the Sacrifice. I'd really like to keep Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan but I'm not married to the rest of my skills. I like the idea of Sacrifice but I could do something else.

A note on gear--I found that amulet myself. It seems like it would sell for a lot. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself because I could make that money go further buying multiple pieces, but I'm not sure that it's not something Doctors don't want eventually.

Thanks to Peter and everyone else for their hard work on testing skills and gear, and for exchanging ideas.

You're welcome. Though, I've been pretty lax lately, been playing other games.

Ok first off, you want to use zombie bears, but it is mana intensive and you are using sacrifice to compensate. So you are having mana problems with zombie bears.
You are also in danger of dying once you run out of mana.

I have to recommend that you give up zombie bears.

Zombie bears requires mana/mana regen gear or passive skills like Gruesome Feast and Grave Injustice to regain mana (from enemy kills). It requires a lot of mana, and because you are trying too hard to make it work, your overall dps may be gimped.

You could try a new cheaper attack spell from the Primary section like Plague of Toads: Rain of Toads and Fire Bomb: Ghost Bomb.
Then, use the Pierce the Veil skill that increases your damage by 20%. It also increases mana cots by 30%, but Plague of Toads/Fire Bomb is so cheap that it doesn't matter. You won't have mana problems. That means you don't need Sacrifice.

I suspect that you may be dying due to sacrificing your dogs. So using another spell, you should survive better, since your dogs are usually there to keep monsters at bay.
10/01/2012 12:01 PMPosted by VoBomaye
Separate question, anyone just sat there and watched their life regen tick? It seems like its 2 ticks every second for half your life regen? But then I randomly got more than that. I was ticking for 373 then suddenly it shot up to 450+ for a few ticks then back down to its usual. I did nothing but standstill with nothing around me.

right, life regen ticks twice a second. You get the half of your life regen + LoH + life steal + other (leeching beast ability for example). Guess your dogs attacked someone and you did get some health back.