Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 18 19 20 26 Next
I also did some testing on crit, and Fetish Sycophants benefit from crit chance.

Dog vs Walking Corpse
My Witch Doctor Stats
Damage: 10641.1
Crit: 54.50%
Crit Damage: 50.00%

Enemy Stats
Walking Corpse Life: 76147

Dog Attack Results
Normal Attack Damage Range: 334 to 1122
Crit Attack Damage Range: 478 to 1756

Average Normal Damage: 674 (6.33% of character damage)
Average Crit Damage: 1072 (159.09% of normal damage)

Number of normal attacks: 50
Number of crit attacks: 39
Total attacks: 89
Crit chance: 43.82%

Fetish Sycophants vs Walking Corpse
My Witch Doctor Stats
Damage: 16925.03

Enemy Stats
Walking Corpse Life: ???

Dog Attack Results
Normal Attack Damage Range: 1985 to 3303
Crit Attack Damage Range: 2965 to 4784

Average Normal Damage: 2603 (15.38% of character damage)
Average Crit Damage: 3744 (143.87% of normal damage)

Number of normal attacks: 21
Number of crit attacks: 17
Total attacks: 38
Crit chance: 44.74%

Summary
Dogs and Fetish Sycophants benefit from crit chance. Gidbinn's fetishes do not crit.
Fetish Sycophants do roughly ~16% of your normal damage. Gibdinn's fetishes do a fixed damage of 8889 per hit, or something similar. But it is always the same fixed number.
Both the crit damage of Dogs and Fetish Sycophants are fixed at ~50%.
I'm running Bears/Garg/Dogs/Sacrifice build as well. You don't need huge DPS to make the build work, however it's definitely not a steamroller until you get good DPS as mentioned earlier. I ran it with about 25k on act 3 Siegebreaker runs, but had to supplement my low DPS in other ways.

I found that I needed to be able to tank at bit so I wasn't getting blicked by elites. I'm currently at about 60k health and 650 resist all. I basically used 100 Int/Vit + 40 Resist AH searches for my gear.

I'm using Sacrifice-Provoke the Pack, Zombie Handler, and a 15s Homunculus for 100% uptime on a 20% PtP damage buff (I'm still not sure if the lost DPS on the offhand is really worth it). I use my dogs to tank, I just make sure to only sac when the summon cooldown is up. Cake, eaten.

I tried to get as much mana regen gear on my weapon/mojo/head as possible and in addition I use Zombie Dogs-Final Gift, Gruesome Feast, and +health globe gear for hp/mana restoration. I'm losing out on some mana regen because of the Homunculus, but with about 70 mps it doesn't hurt too bad. I definitely don't have infinite Bears, but whenever I'm moving to pickup globes or repositioning to get away from elites, I regen enough mana to then throw out more bears.

Oh yeah, and there's one bad thing about pickup radius when you're dependant on globes for healing. It's difficult to save globes for later. I've occasionally had to backtrack to previous fights where I had left a handful of globes on the ground. When you're running in tight corridors with a 20yd pickup radius, you tend to leave nothing behind.

Regarding primaries... I used to run a Rain of Toads build with CC/LoH gear and it was quite effective. I recently tried just swapping out bears for RoT in this build (Pierce the Veil + Provoke the Pack?!), and it just doesn't work well. I think you need CC/LoH/Shield gear so you can survive long enough to make up for the even lower DPS of a non-bears primary.

I also agree that you should wait until after 1.05 to buy gear... prices on good gear are likely to drop then. (I certainly hope they will).
Thanks for the confirmations and/or corrections. I'm actually quite green and I'm not that confident in my answers. So require team effort in giving good advice.

And, I feel dogs need to have their damage increased.

9% currently is too low. The devs don't want pets too be too powerful, but the gearing requirements for pet builds ensures that they will never be too powerful.

One reason why dps builds can get really high dps is by stacking int, crit chance, crit damage, and maybe increased attack speed. That's 4 stats.

But in order for pets to survive, you have to stack vitality, armor, all resists, maybe life regen, and maybe use a shield. Obviously we will share some stats like int, vitality and all resists, but we need to have higher amounts of those, plus life regen and a shield (which means no mojo for extra damage, further lowering the potential dps for pet builds). And it is impossible to have crit chance, crit damage and IAS as well. Pet builds cannot hope to match the dps of pure dps builds.

Pet builds also require you to reserve 2 skill slots for pets, obviously summon zombie dogs and gargantuan. That's 2 less skill slots which could be used for boosting damage like Sacrifice: Provoke the Pack (potential +15% damage) and Mass Confusion: Paranoia (enemies take +20% damage).

And if you do take Fierce Loyalty for Life Regen, that is 1 less passive skill slot which could be used for damage.

Not to mention that pet builds that uses fetish sycophants to have numerous pets on the screen, are not that efficient because they are all melee and there is usually not enough surface area for all your pets to be attacking. That means some are "idle".

Which is why, even if they increase dog dps to do say 20%, pet builds won't be overpowered, because the stats required, the nature of pet builds, already ensure that they won't be OP.

On that note, it would be nice if you could increase the fetish damage as well.

Summary is, hopefully they will consider increasing dog and fetish damage.
10/02/2012 06:12 AMPosted by TheThunder
Separate question, anyone just sat there and watched their life regen tick? It seems like its 2 ticks every second for half your life regen? But then I randomly got more than that. I was ticking for 373 then suddenly it shot up to 450+ for a few ticks then back down to its usual. I did nothing but standstill with nothing around me.

right, life regen ticks twice a second. You get the half of your life regen + LoH + life steal + other (leeching beast ability for example). Guess your dogs attacked someone and you did get some health back.

They definitely did not attack anyone. I made sure that I cleared the area for the test. I have no idea what that is about but I notice it when I play on my dh too. A couple of ticks for half, then all of a sudden a couple of ticks for like 20% more. I'm not sure why, I was wondering if we had some innate regen I don't know about.
Yes I get the varying numbers too. They jump a lot. Sometimes it is lower than average, sometimes it is higher than average.

This also happens for DoTs.

I have no idea why they made it like this.
Finally I can post again...

But in order for pets to survive, you have to stack vitality, armor, all resists, maybe life regen, and maybe use a shield. Obviously we will share some stats like int, vitality and all resists, but we need to have higher amounts of those, plus life regen and a shield (which means no mojo for extra damage, further lowering the potential dps for pet builds). And it is impossible to have crit chance, crit damage and IAS as well. Pet builds cannot hope to match the dps of pure dps builds.

I don't quite agree with this statement. No we cannot get the same dps as the true class-cannon build, but we can get pretty high. I'm at 60k with PtV but without SH which pushes me to 78 with 5 stacks. I do have dogs and the big guy and ZH passive. My pets survive just fine with the 4k armor and somewhere between 600-700 dps. No shield.
And there is still room for improvement atm.

Edit: profile is a bit wonky here's a link if people are interested
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Caris-2269/hero/6975731
Anyone know how Bul Kathos wedding band work? Does the life drain work as life regen? How much life drain is there? I feel like I'm always in the mix and if it gives me extra regen + do some decent damage, then losing 1k dps and 300 hp might be worth it.
Finally I can post again...

I don't quite agree with this statement. No we cannot get the same dps as the true class-cannon build, but we can get pretty high. I'm at 60k with PtV but without SH which pushes me to 78 with 5 stacks. I do have dogs and the big guy and ZH passive. My pets survive just fine with the 4k armor and somewhere between 600-700 dps. No shield.
And there is still room for improvement atm.

Edit: profile is a bit wonky here's a link if people are interested
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Caris-2269/hero/6975731

You have very nice dps.

But the reason why your pet build is working is because your dps is super high, and I assume that monsters die in 2 seconds, and they barely even have time to land a hit on your pets. So you don't need as much defense.

Which leads me to wonder whether it is worth going defensive build.
To Peter - Let me know if you are interested.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794229724#1

Thanks for the offer man, but I barely play Diablo 3 itself as it is, so no chance of me playing PTR. Also I don't want spoilers and want to experience 1.0.5 when it is released.

How is it though? Have you seen the uber bosses?
Has anyone tested life link? I am wondering if the 10% stacks per dog...so you would get 30% for 3 dogs and if you have zombie handler you get 40%. I started using it last night and I was able to just stand and take hits no problem. The only thing you need to do is have enough armor and all resist to keep them alive. I have 3.5k armor and 700 all res and I play with a barb so that all jumps up alot. Just wondering if anyone knows if its per dog?
10/03/2012 08:48 AMPosted by weesheng
No, the 10% damage is shared across all the dogs. So its 10% regardless of number of dogs you have.

Eh well that 10% seems to go a long ways then. Was standing in 3 stacks of desecrate for a long time with only 2.5% life steal to keep me going. The 10% combined with Jungle Fort may be a great combo in higher MPs.
Oh I was playing on live and not the PTR regarding my previous post.
I also did some testing on crit, and Fetish Sycophants benefit from crit chance.

Dog vs Walking Corpse
My Witch Doctor Stats
Damage: 10641.1

Enemy Stats
Walking Corpse Life: 76147

Dog Attack Results
Normal Attack Damage Range: 334 to 1122
Crit Attack Damage Range: 478 to 1756

Average Normal Damage: 674 (6.33% of character damage)
Average Crit Damage: 1072 (159.09% of normal damage)

Number of normal attacks: 50
Number of crit attacks: 39
Total attacks: 89
Crit chance: 43.82%

Fetish Sycophants vs Walking Corpse
My Witch Doctor Stats
Damage: 16925.03

Enemy Stats
Walking Corpse Life: ???

Dog Attack Results
Normal Attack Damage Range: 1985 to 3303
Crit Attack Damage Range: 2965 to 4784

Average Normal Damage: 2603 (15.38% of character damage)
Average Crit Damage: 3744 (143.87% of normal damage)

Number of normal attacks: 21
Number of crit attacks: 17
Total attacks: 38
Crit chance: 44.74%

Summary
Dogs and Fetish Sycophants benefit from crit chance. Gidbinn's fetishes do not crit.
Fetish Sycophants do roughly ~16% of your normal damage. Gibdinn's fetishes do a fixed damage of 8889 per hit, or something similar. But it is always the same fixed number.
Both the crit damage of Dogs and Fetish Sycophants are fixed at ~50%.

Thanks again! If only they could fix Fetish so they don't die against DoT so fast.
Fetish Sycophants do roughly ~16% of your normal damage.

Can you try this against elites? As mentioned in my playtest a couple of pages back, I was doing pretty well against white mobs, but against elites they just didn't seem to be doing any damage. Had Fetish Army, Gidbinn and Sycophant all out and they barely tickled the mob. I was dealing significantly more damage with just 1 bear cast versus them tickling away.

You mean their dps against elites?

It could be that they drop like flies against elites, that is why you are not seeing them do much damage. They are already dead near the start.

The fetish from the passive skill will take about 5 hits or something.
But the fetish from the gidbinn takes only 3 hits before dying.

Fetishes die very easily. I don't mind that they are the "glass cannon" dps, but their dps should be higher to compensate.