Casual Gamers vs Hardcore Gamers

General Discussion
09/07/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Aeternam
Those that have full-time jobs, intensive schooling, etc. don't have as much time to themselves as they once probably used to (unfortunately a strange and distressing phenomena that happens as you become an adult).

I can play sc2 in the higher league decently after playing 600hrs... over a YEAR. But guess what? I still got better at the game.
hardcore = hardcore mode

period.

no such thing as a "hardcore softcore" player....you're just a casual softie either way you slice it

Considering this isn't a competitive game, you're casual regardless of what mode you're on.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I currently feel like the game is more geared toward the hardcore gamer. Those that have full-time jobs, intensive schooling, etc. don't have as much time to themselves as they once probably used to (unfortunately a strange and distressing phenomena that happens as you become an adult).

Log on. Kill Monsters. Take Their stuff. Log off.
I don't think it gets more casual than that. And as a casual gamer, that's all I need. D3 provides that wonderfully, so from that perspective, I think D3 is far more geared towards the casual player. I can play with different skills, level new characters, pluck away at achievements. This game seems to have enough content to keep a casual player like me happy for years.
On the other hand, if you have more "hardcore" goals, like beating Inferno, maximizing your DPS, collecting perfect-stat set pieces, D3 has that for you as well. I get the impression that the execution in that area needs some work, though.
From my standpoint, the lower difficulties (namely normal and nightmare) can be completed by just about anyone without requiring too much of a time commitment. For higher (hell and especially inferno), that's where you really have to be more "hardcore" when it comes to spending time farming for gear (assuming you don't want to succumb to micro-transactions for higher end pieces of equipment that would take several hours to find normally).

So yeah, if you have little time, play through the lower difficulties and move on. It's not like higher ones are any different story-wise. It's the same game only with tougher enemies. Now if was a huge time sink to even get through Normal, that would likely alienate most players.
Alright guys and gals, it's getting hilarious that some of you are offended with the terminologies. No need to boast your skills. Since I am the the TS these are the terminoligies that will be referenced in this thread (sorry for the sexual innuendos):

Quicky = beat the game, said goodbye

Softcore = up to 2-3 hours a day

Hardcore = 5+ hours a day

S&M = Hardcore Mode / 10+ hours a day

...but to be honest, Hardcore Mode can be played "casually" as well. I just think it's nuts with all the glitches, rubberbanding, etc.

Also, beating the game is not why most people play this game. It's mostly all about the gear grind to become a beastily killing machine. I'm actually waiting till I get more epic gear before I beat Act 4 Inferno even though I'm pretty sure I can manage with my current gear.
This is a silly debate.

The loot is RNG.

RNG means that no matter if you play for 1 hour or 100 hours, each person will have just as much chance at finding that "good" loot over the other.

If anything this game is truly not geared for softcore or hardcore players. It would just seem like the hardcore players have an advantage because of all of the extra time they put in - but in reality it's all just RNG.
I know it doesn't help your thread...but can you be a hardcore gamer playing D3 casually? LOL.

I have a demanding job so don't game nearly as much as I used to but on the weekends I will pound whatever game I'm into for hours on end.

However, D3 hasn't wrapped me in enough to play it "hardcore" as in, dedicating every free moment to it like I did for other games. I'll do an Act1/Act2 run here and there, bounce around to different characters but eventually fade from the un-fun drops.

I did though manage to get my 1st post-1.04 legendary last night!! Thunder belt or something (barb belt) with low-end stats. But I was still happy I got one.
09/07/2012 10:41 AMPosted by TalRasha
Spending time =/= hardcore. Time sinks =/= challenge.

I agree. Farming really isn't a challenge except on your time.
I think most of you are missing the point of the OP.

For the most part, in order to obtain high quality gear upgrades in D3, which is the reason most of us play, you have to play 5+ hours a day (hardcore D3 gamer). This way you'd be able to net a good amount of worthy gear to sell on the AH, which will then allow you to obtain the majority of your upgrades.

In D2, playing 2-3 hours a day (softcore D2 gamer) was usually far more rewarding and you were able to depend solely on your dropped loot for upgrades.
hardcore = hardcore mode

period.

no such thing as a "hardcore softcore" player....you're just a casual softie either way you slice it

LOL.

This discussion has nothign to do with hardcore mode. Playing on hardcore mode does not make you a "hardcore" gamer. You could easily be a casual gamer and play on hardcore.

People don't like to draw lines in the sand about this issue but the simple fact is there are a few critera that can be used to distinguish. People may disagree as to where to draw the line but the primary differences are:

1) Time spent playing- this is by and far the most important distinguishing factor

2) Oh wait- there are no other objective indicators- you can talk about money spent or general attitude about the game etc... the closet to another objective standard would be whether you are looking to these games as a show of skill rather than a means of recreation or perhaps how much of your satisfaction with life is derived from the game- but since there are no objective ways to measure those factors ...

Thus the question to be asked really should be how much time do you spend playing Diablo III.

I would think that the strict 2 type of player definition is a bit to limited. I would say that casual players play less than 10 hours per week. I would suggest that hardcore gamers play 40+ hours per week. With a big catergory between the two.

Ironically though what is casual for one person because of their life situation might be insanely taxing on another. Ie... a single college student without a job could easily play 12 hours each day on the weekend and 8 hours a day during the week without being overly taxing on his life (other than social life). Whereas a married individual with kids would probably be ignoring the kids or giving up sleep if they play more than a couple hours a night.

But to answer the question originally posed- this game has more casual players than hardcore, yet it tries to find a balance between the two groups. It fails in so trying. It believes that casual players want the game to be easier, when really want they want is better gear, more fun, and a sense of progress in a much shorter time frame. Ironically better gear would make the game easier- and thus woudl void the need for nerfs to difficulty which the hard core find so annoying.
This is a silly debate.

RNG means that no matter if you play for 1 hour or 100 hours, each person will have just as much chance at finding that "good" loot over the other.

With RNG the more loot drops the higher the chance to get better loot. Thus the amount of kills/time spent does translate into an increased probability of finding good loot.
Great post oogliefrank. At least somebody understands...

Something else many of you may not realize is that getting drops on par with D2 along with there being no existence of the AH could potentially make gamers want to play other characters. Why? Because you wouldn't be able to sell it on the AH and you wouldn't really want to trash great character specific loot which would then encourage players to want to play MORE with other characters. This is how I remember D2. The paragon system, as nice a concept as it initially seemed to me, is making me realize that I'll hardly ever play my other characters since my new goal is to reach lvl 100. Good luck with that if you're a casual player.

On the other hand, I'm totally for not having to use mf so kudos to Blizzard (South) for their initiative.
Hahaha.. Not sure if any of you are old enough to understand the US economy.. I am sure some are.. isn't this exactly what the 1 % VS 99 % debate is all about?

High-end gear is basically a 1 % thing, where the 99 % struggles to get near it.
1 % = Hardcore
99 % = Casual ? ?

Diablo-nomics can be an excellent economic topic in the future. lol.. =)
Hahaha.. Not sure if any of you are old enough to understand the US economy.. I am sure some are.. isn't this exactly what the 1 % VS 99 % debate is all about?

High-end gear is basically a 1 % thing, where the 99 % struggles to get near it.
1 % = Hardcore
99 % = Casual ? ?

Diablo-nomics can be an excellent economic topic in the future. lol.. =)

If that's the case then I wonder what is the percentage of players (casual or hardcore) who actually spend real money on the RMAH? Maybe this is what Blizzard had in mind in the first place? Doesn't take a economist to come up with that one tbh...

Marvel Heroes will be Free to Play, but you'll be able to purchase certain stuff like different costumes. I'll actually gladly spend real money just to support them. Blizzard on the other hand gives off this impression like they're forcing the GAH/RMAH on us, especially if it's true that there's a hidden mechanic for the in-game drops. Either way, as stated in the OP, the AH affects the quality of our drops just by merely existing.