[Guide][Baby Monks] Monk Item Guide

Monk
Hello guys! I've been streaming for a few weeks now and I've been doing a lot of gear checks and the most common question I get is how people can improve their DPS.

Disclaimer: DO NOT BUY LEGENDARIES UNTIL YOU HAVE ABOUT 70K DPS. LOW ROLLS ON LEGENDARIES SHOULD BE AVOIDED LIKE A PLAGUE. YOU CAN REACH 70K DPS EASILY USING ONLY RARES.

Prologue: DPS is the most important factor for your character. As you get more DPS, you can start to sacrifice some defenses and sustain. In case you're wondering, sustain = LOH, LPS, LS. The reason you want to sacrifice those stats is because you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want high DPS AND high armor/res AND LOH/LPS/LS, it will cost you a lot money. So back to what I said earlier, DPS is the most important thing. If you have to choose between sustain and DPS, go for DPS.

How do you survive? Health globes keep you steady and alive.

Main Body: I will order the stat priorities you should be looking for on items. However, you should always be using a DPS calculator to verify what is the best upgrade.

www.theasiangamer.com

Weapons: Dex, Socket, Crit Damage, Weapon DPS, Vit
Amulet and Rings: Average Damage (min-max), Dex, Crit Chance, Attack Speed/Crit Damage
Helm: Dex, Crit Chance, Socket, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Armor, Life%
Shoulders: Dex, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Armor, Life%
Chest: Dex, Sockets, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Armor, Life%
Pants: Dex, Sockets, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Armor
Gloves: Dex, Crit Chance, Attack Speed/Crit Damage, Single Res, Vit, All Res, Armor
Bracers: Dex, Crit Chance, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Armor
Belt: Dex, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Armor, Life%
Boots: Dex, Vit, Single Res, All Res, Move Speed, Armor

Other thoughts:
1. Echoing fury is the best 1h melee weapon, it boosts your DPS immensely.
2. Won Kim Lau provides a lot of DPS that you won't see on your stat sheet.
3. Two piece Inna's set provides a great DPS boost as well, I recommend Helm and Pants.
4. Two piece Nat's set provides yet another big DPS boost, I recommend Ring and Boots
5. I can't stress enough about how much damage you gain on rings and amulet, ALWAYS look for +dmg on them.
6. DO NOT get so focused on any particular damage stat. It's true that Crit Chance is powerful, but it's not the end all stat. Always compare items on a DPS Calculator (www.theasiangamer.com)

Product Placement:
www.twitch.tv/changusmc

65K DPS Monk, 30k HP, 550 Resist Video Guide
http://www.twitch.tv/changusmc/b/332627548
FYI, his stream is at http://www.twitch.tv/changusmc if you want to see his info in action, so to speak.
Thanks for the advice here. I'll certainly be keeping this stuff in mind. I'm pretty much at the point where I have solid offense and good defense/sustain. Right now I can start sacrificing the sustain and zeroing in more on DPS.

Interesting info about +dmg on rings and ammy.
Updated guide with info on pants, similar to chest just without life%.

Also added thought #6. This is very important. You will end up paying more for items if you think that a specific stat is the "best" stat. Always check against a DPS calculator.

Check my Natalya's Ring for instance. I will include two links below. One link with my Natalya's Reflection, and another link with a similar Natalya's ring but without +dmg and instead it will have 3.5 Crit Chance.

Nat's ring with 160 dex, 28-60 dmg, 8IAS
Total DPS: 146,188.49
http://tinyurl.com/8csrkj7

Nat's ring with 160 dex, 3.5 CC, 8IAS
Total DPS: 145,460.43
http://tinyurl.com/9os9487
bump to support OP's post

dude was a badass monk when I was at level 1, keep up the good work OP
bump to support OP's post

dude was a badass monk when I was at level 1, keep up the good work OP

Thank you, I added thought #6 because of that Nat's ring that just popped up on our forums that the OP is trying to sell for over 100m.
Heh. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
^ bump
Thanks for the guide. Lots of good food for thought.
I'm glad people like the guide, if there are any other inputs, please let me know.

Also, I added some product placement :D

Come watch me at www.twitch.tv/changusmc
Thanks so much for the info Furiex!
I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I only play monk, since I love the class and only have enough time to devote to one class. (I'd like one amazing monk instead of a bunch of mediocre classes)

Also, I've watched your stream and it's given me a target that I'll never reach, which isn't a bad thing.

Any advice on the best way to build a solid monk on a limited budget?
I have very little gold compared to what people are asking in the AH (I'm around 800k right now, which is MASSIVE for me) and wondering whether I just have to wait on the AH forever or grind act 1.

I have met some monks that had helped me out, which is awesome, but I can't really rely on other people to be giving away free stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Silva
@Sivla

It's not too hard to build a budget monk at the moment. With your amount of gold, you can most likely build a monk that can crush Act 1.

One of the best tips I can give you is to never filter for "round" numbers. What I mean by that is when you search the AH, and you want a 150 dex belt, instead search for about 120 dex. Sometimes the price difference between a 149dex and a 150 dex belt can be two or three fold.

With your budget I'd try only buying single resist. Choose one resist and stick with it, as I see that you have 3 different single resists. I'd recommend Arcane, as it seems to be the cheapest to me.

Also, don't forget to look for items with no buyout, sometimes people like to throw things on AH for 2k gold bid with no buyout.

GL.
You need to work on your off-hand and your bracers Furiex, then tell us nubs what to get. :P

(please tell that I'm joking)

Also, by baby monks you mean everyone sub 100k dps? I have most of what you're talking about as long-term goals, but I imagine there'll be a few steps in between. lol
@Silva

@Sivla
Also, don't forget to look for items with no buyout, sometimes people like to throw things on AH for 2k gold bid with no buyout.
GL.

Don't be afraid of looking at items with high buyout either. I've scored some amazing deals from people who have completely overpriced their buyout, only to leave their minimum bid to be at about right (or lower) for market (or on the rare occasion, vendor price). When that happens, they miss all kinds of people who actually specify buyout as part of their search terms.

And try sniping some good quality items at reasonable prices that don't have a buyout price in the last minute(s) of an auction if you have time. Many folks aren't patient enough to wait out an auction and will pay (way) above market for instant gratification.

Patience is key. Good luck.
You need to work on your off-hand and your bracers Furiex, then tell us nubs what to get. :P

(please tell that I'm joking)

Also, by baby monks you mean everyone sub 100k dps? I have most of what you're talking about as long-term goals, but I imagine there'll be a few steps in between. lol

I actually really like my OH because of the high Vit, that will be one of the later items I'll replace. As far as bracers, yea they are very weak, but upgrading them to 160 dex and 6 crit won't net me the most damage for the cost. I can still get trifecta gloves, which will be money better spent.

I mainly titled it [Baby Monks] so that some of the seasoned Monks won't have to waste their time reading this guide, as they already know all this info.
Problem with crit chance vs other stats especially with someone using sweeping winds - cyclone is that alot of the dps can come from the cyclones upon crit, which is not reflected on the DPS on character screen.

Apart from that, looks good!

I actually really like my OH because of the high Vit, that will be one of the later items I'll replace. As far as bracers, yea they are very weak, but upgrading them to 160 dex and 6 crit won't net me the most damage for the cost. I can still get trifecta gloves, which will be money better spent.

I mainly titled it [Baby Monks] so that some of the seasoned Monks won't have to waste their time reading this guide, as they already know all this info.

The plus minimum/maximum damage on the main doesn't count on the off-hand too does it? I'm no pro, so sorry if that's a newb question. I didn't think it worked that way, but if it did that'd make them almost identical.

I'd imagine that a better off-hand could increase your stated DPS significantly, but probably wouldn't alter your actual DPS nearly as much. I try to judge what to improve on by breaking the DPS calc into it's 4 main constituent parts, base average damage, attack speed, crit multiplier, and mainstat (these 4 basically multiply by each other). If I know what the thresholds are for each category and what I currently have it helps find cost effective ways to build DPS, not just which single piece will lead to the most DPS next (As you reach higher percentages of max for each of the 4 categories the costs rise exponentially, which is why I think you find the plus average damage in ammys and rings have been slightly underserved. They can be very large percentage upgrades to that category). At first I thought an equivalently high average damage on your off-hand would be worth a ton (an extra 100 average damage would be a lot even for you), and I think it would be worth quite a bit on your profile, but because it doesn't factor all skill damages based on main hand, nor factor in that main goes first every time, it probably wouldn't have nearly as high an effect on how much damage you actually do. I kind of knew that would be true in theory, but hadn't really sorted out why until you defended it. lol

Still, I would've thought a nice WKL with all the plus lightning damage (unless they don't go crit damage plus socket?) would be pretty sweet for you. 169vit may be nice, but I'd imagine you'd survive just fine at 40k instead of 44k.

Or am I talking out of my bottom? Hopefully this isn't seen as derailing the thread.
lately I've been wondering about this, is it worth "giving away" some resistances and getting 4 pieces of inna's set?
thanks in advice! :)
Other thoughts: 1. Echoing fury is the best 1h melee weapon, it boosts your DPS immensely. 2. Won Kim Lau provides a lot of DPS that you won't see on your stat sheet.3. Two piece Inna's set provides a great DPS boost as well, I recommend Helm and Pants. 4. Two piece Nat's set provides yet another big DPS boost, I recommend Ring and Boots

You should put "DPS guide for Monks who bought 500m gold" if you are even going to mention that junk.
Yeah I had kind of the same reaction. As a new monk looking to improve, I don't really benefit from "BUY ALL THE BEST ITEMS IN THE GAME AND BE GOOD"... like... thanks.