Torchlight 2 High-Res Art/Model Mods

Games & Technology
So, how long do you think it'll be before a modder comes along and uses the TL2 Mod Tools to do a complete artwork conversion of the "cartoony" graphics and makes them look so good that Diablo 3 will start to look "cartoony" in comparison?

I got a hunch that lots of disgruntled Diablo fans will be on that project...
Not soon, becasue any good artist would have to spent serious time to do such a thing.
One month til the release of the TorchED 2 toolset.

2-3 months for a basic art overhaul (mobs and characters).

2-3 more months for a level inclusive overhaul (i.e. complete).

At the MINIMUM.

Alexis
*smiles*

At the MINIMUM.

Alexis
*smiles*

So in other words, more than enough time for Blizzard to fix the better game.

Modding is cute, but it doesn't extend the life of video games as much as people believe. A good example, go look at Skyrim activity on Steam. It has drastically dropped since release.

Look how many months into D3 we are, and the people that complain up and down about this game, are still logging on almost daily.

At the MINIMUM.

Alexis
*smiles*

Modding is cute, but it doesn't extend the life of video games as much as people believe. A good example, go look at Skyrim activity on Steam. It has drastically dropped since release.

Look how many months into D3 we are, and the people that complain up and down about this game, are still logging on almost daily.

You kiding, right?

There are plenty of posts (inclusive have already been posted here in D3 foruns) that shows the activity of D3 is dropping. This happens to EVERY game (and other things in RL).

At the MINIMUM.

Alexis
*smiles*

You couldn't be more wrong. People still play Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights 10 years later because of modding.
This is not a TL2 forum... (what's are doing moderator ?)
are the haters really stupid.... This is the forum sect to talk about other games you idiot lmao
I hope it is modded quickly and considering how many fans blizzard alienated, I think plenty of ppl have the incentive to mod tl2. I don't want to cheat or hack to get the best items, and I won't because I can play single player offline. However, I will Happily get a mod that improves the graphics as IMHO that is the only thing d3 has over TL2

At the MINIMUM.

Alexis
*smiles*

You obviously have never heard of the mod for ARMA II called DayZ. That will extend the life of ARMA II until the standalone game comes out in late '12 or early '13. Not to mention the only reason why ARMA III is coming out is because they needed a new engine for the DayZ standalone.
Well, the Torchlight texture replacement mod took around a year to come out. It completely changed the feel of the game. Torchlight sold around a million copies.

Torchlight II is significantly more popular, and so more people will have it. This increases the likely hood of capable modders and artists getting involved.

To be safe, a year - but you'll likely see improvements literally the day after the mod tools are released.

It isn't fair to compare the entire playerbase. For those who do enjoy modding and mods, it most certainly does extend the game life.

Or to put it another way, I find PvP in RPG games to be extremely boring. Diablo 3's PvP patch will do nothing to extend the game life for me. By your reasoning, PvP doesn't extend game life because people like me have no interest in it. Obviously this is not true. It does extend game life, but only for those who enjoy PvP.

Same thing with mods.
modding extends gamelife, you have your original game, with mods you have bonuses to the game where you pick and choose OR create your own on top of the foundation.
no modding means... what again? - absent from d3
nothing duh - very present in d3
multiplayer is another extension of gamelife
PvP is another extension of gamelife - absent from d3

i do think it will take about 2-3 months for an artist to create high-res/art/models or overhaul of tl2.
i mean if they do they practically are catering to everyone who's looking for TL2 mechanics minus it's art style
So, how long do you think it'll be before a modder comes along and uses the TL2 Mod Tools to do a complete artwork conversion of the "cartoony" graphics and makes them look so good that Diablo 3 will start to look "cartoony" in comparison?

I got a hunch that lots of disgruntled Diablo fans will be on that project...

I know how to texture 3D, do some modelling and Im also a darn good animator. However I don't see any issues with TL2's artwork. Its clean, crisp and well done. The characters don't have the ink lines around them like Borderlands and not cell shaded like cartoons so I don't get the whole 'cartoon' thing. It seems to me most players have no idea about the different art styles games can have.

And its not just the textures, the models have a lot to do with it. If you don't want 'cartoon' you will need to change the models as well and then maybe the animation. This will take forever.

Orks Must Die, Dungeon Defenders, WoW: All amazing games and all with a more "cartoony" look. Frankly, all the best games are 'cartoony'. Hell, these are computer games we're talking about. Yet cartoons are bad?

Anyway, I see TL2 modding moving to different game types, new adventures etc. Not so much a graphics change.
It'll be a couple of months before the toolset is released and then a modder (assuming one wants to do it) will have to do all of the art work, so I'd think a good quality high resolution art set would be at least half a year or more away.

"Still logging on almost daily", sorry I doubt that because I ONLY just logged on right this moment to give this comment and then I'm going back to Torchlight 2 and that's for various reasons.

My comment so far about D3 is that I can't stop seeing everywhere around the internet saying how much better Torchlight 2 is than D3.

I just recently, before posting, found a couple sites that had the whole post of people who were Diablo fans openly say that Diablo 3 is a fail game and it all related a lot to modding and even more on the "convenience" differences between TL2 and D3.

D3: Required internet connection
Cannot modify AT ALL
Starting price of $59.99

TL2: Can play offline, LAN, or Online as well.
Can Modify anything you want or add more to it.
Starting Price of $19.99

I can clearly see the easy choice here and the most impulsive purchase and that is:

Torchlight 2

Sorry I must disagree, but really D3 is LOSING more players then it is gaining compared to TL2.

You could spend so much time fixing D3 that by the time it's so called "FIXED" many gamers will have forgotten this game.
If TorchED is integrated with Steam Workshop, we'll hopefully see some good mods fairly quickly. Updating all the textures and art would take a long time, but I still expect to see it happen.
Runar View profile

Edited by Runar#1385 on 9/25/12 5:45 PM (PDT)
It'll be a couple of months before the toolset is released and then a modder (assuming one wants to do it) will have to do all of the art work, so I'd think a good quality high resolution art set would be at least half a year or more away.

modder tool is out now, get it here. This is for torchlight 2. there are some mods out allready to.

http://gamedaily.newaol.com/pub/TorchEDInstaller-1.0.exe?ru=19&h=a3e30cbf7bc5f1cc8aad61cab80981b2
Not to poop on any parades here, but I was an avid diablo fan and made the switch to torchlight 2. With no modding experience, I've already begun a d2 overhaul and created runes, the artwork, icons and implemented them into my own game. When GUTS is released, characters will be next.

The hi-res part though? Already being worked on...
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=40681&sid=0528a0a9f488d6fc9faca954bc8e7cca

Upon running through the game with two characters and toying with the primal mod function, which will only improve with the real tools are released, I can assure you that Torchlight 2 is a step up from D3. I can't log into Diablo 3 for more than 15 minutes without getting bored.