Torchlight 2 is good.

Games & Technology
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
09/22/2012 08:39 PMPosted by jpar
No sorry, D3 sucks.

No, you're just riding the anti-D3 bandwagon. D3 is flawed in many aspects, this is true, but not combat or polish. Those two elements are really well done, but not so much so that people can't look past the glaring itemization problems.

You can admit this, it's OK, you don't have to do everything the Internet says is cool at the moment.
09/22/2012 08:37 PMPosted by TooHighToDie
TL2 is fun, but D3 has more staying power. In the patches/expansions to come D3 will eventually become as renowned as D2 is.

to be honest, this is what i want, its just unfortunate that I have to wait 6-12 months for a game I've been waiting for like 8 years to... be fun? Seems totally backward in my opinion, but I shall wait.
how could anyone be surprised that TL2 >>> D3. You do know who made TL2, right?
I spent some time with the Torchlight 2 demo last night, and I can say that it's a marked improvement over the original Torchlight, so Torchlight fans should be happy, and it does have some nice ideas, so I give it credit for that, but it's no Diablo 3. That is Torchlight 2, like its predecessor, looks very much like a once-and-done game whereas I can see people playing Diablo 3 for many, many years.
What are you talking about??? The combat is awesome! It is far more intense and skill driven than anything in D3.

Combat polish. Hitboxes are too large. You often lose focus even while mouse clicking/holding and sit there idle while surrounded by and getting beat by mobs because of overlapping hit boxes.

These are developer acknowledged flaws. In fact they've had so many complaints about hitboxes the ones we have now are drastically different from beta.

It's OK though, they're listening and know this is an area they need to improve, but it does TL2 no justice to say the game is polished or combat is perfect in that game when it's clearly not.
but it does TL2 no justice to say combat is perfect in that game when it's clearly not.

I think what he meant is that in TL2 there is a huge mass of mobs coming at you, its intense, or the boss fights are awesome.
Im not discounting the fact that the hit boxes are a little buggy or when im near a clifff its a bit odd. I think that hes saying that killing white mobs in d3 was boring, and randomly facing a elite in d3 to get killed because its "reflect" is just.... exhausting.
09/22/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Fellows
TL2 is fantastice. D3 can't hold a candle to it.

On combat it most certainly can. In fact, TL2 can't hold a candle to D3 in that regard.

Don't wax poetic about something that's clearly flawed. People here are so jaded by item drops, they're praising TL2 for that one single aspect over D3 when in fact TL2 has glaring issues with combat and overall polish.

Yes, the engine is far far far less polished that D3's. The combat is a bit herky-jerky, and a lot less fluid which is especially noticeable when there are about 30 mobs in screen.

But it's also $20, will have mods out for it, and has a lot more appeal for when you're deciding what game to play with your free time (better itemization, better skills, more to do).

We'll see how it is in a month when people are at end game, but my guess is that there is going to be a lot more people starting a second character with either a different class, or the same class but a different build even if the end game choices for a single character are far less.
09/22/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Fellows
Combat polish. Hitboxes are too large.

Lol, obvious troll is obvious! Yes, because D3's hitboxes are so great ~_~

You seem to be talking about technical problems. These are fixable. Combat from a design perspective as a whole though is better in TL2.
I think what he meant is that in TL2 there is a huge mass of mobs coming at you, its intense, or the boss fights are awesome.
Im not discounting the fact that the hit boxes are a little buggy or when im near a clifff its a bit odd. I think that hes saying that killing white mobs in d3 was boring, and randomly facing a elite in d3 to get killed because its "reflect" is just.... exhausting.

Yup, I can completely understand that and it's a good point. Put that way it's two different topics.

On combat it most certainly can. In fact, TL2 can't hold a candle to D3 in that regard.

Don't wax poetic about something that's clearly flawed. People here are so jaded by item drops, they're praising TL2 for that one single aspect over D3 when in fact TL2 has glaring issues with combat and overall polish.

I disagree. TL2 combat is far more fun and exciting. D3 is frustrating and dull and getting killed over and over in one shot is rage inducing. Gaming is supposed to be fun and combat in D3 is not fun. It just feels obligatory.

I feel you, I have been playing d3 ever since lauch, a game i anticipated to play everytime i finish work. once i hit lvl60 on all 6 char (even made 2 DH), this is the only game that made me sleep during combat (coz all it has is combat). Really can't stand the boring-ness of the game.

TL2 on the other hand has lots of side features, like fishing, enchanting, looking for phase beasts, and most important, looting and thinking where to allocate skill/stat points.
09/22/2012 08:36 PMPosted by DISP4TER
In the course of all my hours playing D3 I never once found any gear to use as a replacement for something I was already using. I never FOUND any upgrades through all levels. All my upgrades were bought from the AH.

Either you're full of crap, or you're extraordinarily impatient and spend more time browsing the auction house rather than actually playing the game.

Look, people might complain that Diablo 3 is too stingy, but Torchlight 2 is overly generous, like an all-you-can-eat dessert bar. It's fun at first, but it very quickly becomes too much of a good thing and you quickly burn out on it. Personally, I prefer Diablo 3 because getting that great drop remains an exciting experience even after a couple hundred hours of play.

How does it feel to try and be snarky, yet you reply directly underneath no less than two posts confirming what I was saying?
Yes, the engine is far far far less polished that D3's. The combat is a bit herky-jerky, and a lot less fluid which is especially noticeable when there are about 30 mobs in screen.

But it's also $20, will have mods out for it, and has a lot more appeal for when you're deciding what game to play with your free time (better itemization, better skills, more to do).

We'll see how it is in a month when people are at end game, but my guess is that there is going to be a lot more people starting a second character with either a different class, or the same class but a different build even if the end game choices for a single character are far less.

Completely agree. It's an excellent game and well worth the $20. It does itemization just about perfect.
09/22/2012 08:43 PMPosted by MountainMan
I spent some time with the Torchlight 2 demo last night, and I can say that it's a marked improvement over the original Torchlight, so Torchlight fans should be happy, and it does have some nice ideas, so I give it credit for that, but it's no Diablo 3. That is Torchlight 2, like its predecessor, looks very much like a once-and-done game whereas I can see people playing Diablo 3 for many, many years.

As a D2 vet, TL2 does what D2 did so well and I see myself coming back for many, many playthroughs with each character and the assuredly plentiful modded ones as well. Sadly D3 only lasted 2 weeks before the repetition lost its luster.
Played both i prefer Diablo 3, the presentation is just much smoother and it has a lot more polish. D3 is a game I'll play for years, I probably won't play TL2 again once I beat it, unless the modding community comes up with something I just can't pass up on.
09/22/2012 08:48 PMPosted by Fellows

How does it feel to try and be snarky, yet you reply directly underneath no less than two posts confirming what I was saying?

Confirming what? A bug that I never encountered? I never was speaking in terms of technical regards. From the very beginning I was addressing it from a design/gameplay perspective which I still stand by completely. Technical issues are a moot point in the age of downloadable patches.
09/22/2012 08:51 PMPosted by jpar
I don't ride bandwagons when I see for myself that a game is such garbage.

obvious troll is obvious